How does Geralt get his letter from Yen ?

+
How does Geralt get his letter from Yen ?

Hello all,
Perhaps this has been officially explained somewhere, and if so, then I simply miss this piece of information.
At the end of Assassins of Kings, Geralt learns from both Letho en Sille that Yennefer is actually alive and somewhere in Nilfgaard, and Sille actually tells Geralt that he should look for her.
Then at a certain point in between Assassins of Kings and Wild Hunt, Geralt receives a letter from Yen, stating he should meet her near Willoughby.

I'd like to know if there is any official explanation on how this letter actually got to Geralt ?
Also, how does Yen know Geralt is alive ? Last time she saw him, he was taken by the Wild Hunt.

I have a couple of theories on how Yen could have been made aware of the fact that Geralt is still out there and no longer in the clutches of the Wild Hunt, as multiple people that are somehow affiliated with Nilfgaard have actually been close to Geralt during his Assassins of Kings adventures. She could have learned from both Sille and/or Letho, provided you allowed both of them to live. Otherwise Shilard Fitz Oesterlen could have told her he encountered Geralt multiple times.
But where did she send the letter to ?

I wonder what you guys think/know.

I'd like to know if there is any official explanation on how this letter actually got to Geralt ?

Yennefer and other sorceresses are known to sometimes use birds for delivering messages (Yennefer is known to use Kestrels).
It is not stated specifically but this is just my theory, as it would make sense for her to do it this way.

Western Union delivered it.

As for how Yen knew he was alive is simple. It's the same way she knew that Geralt and Triss were sharing a bed together. Other sorceresses talking via their Megaphones.

Yennefer and other sorceresses are known to sometimes use birds for delivering messages (Yennefer is known to use Kestrels).
It is not stated specifically but this is just my theory, as it would make sense for her to do it this way.

Yes thank you, this could be a good explanation! It's just a minor detail in terms of story telling, but since it is never specifically mentioned, it sort of makes me wonder how certain things went down between the time of Assassins of Kings and Wild Hunt.

Nilfgaard has three spy cards though. Maybe they used it. LOL
Seriously, idk though, maybe it's the birds, like what the guy said above. :)

Yeah the bird is the best explanation, and such a scenario is actually backed by the books.
Yen of course also leaves more clues behind like the crystallized crow skull.

In the books Geralt sends and receives mail using the temple of Melitele in Ellander- where Mother Nenneke and her healers treat his wounds. He used the temple service to communicate with Ciri in Time of Contempt. Ellander is close to the Pontar on near the Temerian-Aedirnian border, so it would be on Geralt's way from Loc Muinne in Witcher 2 back toward Temeria. As for how Yen knows where to look for him, she has the help of the Imperial spy service (and the Nilfgaardians were sending back reports about Geralt in Witcher 2), as well as her communications with other sorceresses.

Why are the "birds" a better explanation of communication than the megascope? We know Yen set hers up at that inn.

Since every move of Geralt in TW1 was known by Salamandra, spies of every faction, the Lodge, Foltest, druids, Jaskier, Scoia'tael, Rose Flaming, etc, etc..... how Yennefer could ignore all that?

As far as I know you need another megascope to receive the message, and we all know Geralt doesn't have a megascope. So that's why.
No Place like Home: three drunken witchers use a megascope to contact a priest of the eternal fire(*) (AKA "bloede d'hoinne" AKA "your excellency") on his loo. That priest most likely had no megascope. If he has one, he probably does not have it in his bathroom.

It's not clear though what the recipient of such a megascope-call can receive on his end, as the three drunken witchers didn't attempt to speak with him, and his visual reception probably was somewhat blurred.

(*) I know that it's somewhat consensus that this is Hemmelfahrt, but voice and face differ from the Hemmelfahrt who can be seen and heard in the Whoreson Arena. So, it's just "a priest."

Last edited:
And Kiera points out they never know who may be listening. I don't put it above the cult of eternal fire to use mages own devices against them.

In my own opinion megascopes are like phones. There must be two.

Yeah, Yen probably summoned a black kestrel to deliver the letter to Geralt.
A megascope does not make sense here.
By the time of Assassins of Kings, Yen already had regained all of her memory, and word of Geralt's approximate whereabouts probably reached her through Shilard Fitz-Oesterlen. Remember how in Assassins of Kings Fitz-Oesterlen actually requests to speak to Geralt in private during the siege of La Valette castle. This private conversation never happens because of all the circumstances, but we must not forget that Nilfgaard already knew quite a lot through Yennefer, and actually had its eye on Geralt specifically because of his relation to Ciri. So word of Geralt no doubt reached her as well.

When at the end of "Assassins" Geralt finally regains of all his memories, he finds out that Yennefer is still alive and in Nilfgaard, as Sile de Tansarville is the one bringing this news to him.
So with this new information Geralt travels south, while Nilfgaard invaded the North. It is then that Geralt receives the letter (By a magical kestrel, like the one yen also used in "Shard of Ice") and follows the Nilfgaardians as they conquer the lands north of the Yaruga.
While traveling he encounters Vesemir and after this reunion, they look for Yennefer together, while she was forced to flee through the former Temerian lands.

Last edited:
Top Bottom