How does Rarity work?

+
How does Rarity work?

Okay, so maybe I'm missing it, but looking at the cards I can't see any difference between for example a Common Troop card and a legendary Troop card. I'm sure it's there but I miss it.

Also, for that matter, how does premium cars work in rarity? Is a COmmon Premium harder to find then a Normal Legendary?

The first difference is quality (sound, art, style) and the second is usually more functionality - for example epic character: Sigfrida from Skellige revives someone from the Graveyard and adds +1 strength each time someone revives cards from both Graveyards. Usually more rare cards have some complex abilities which might be much more useful in good hands than just simple 10 strength.

Also, there are 2 same vampire spies in Monsters deck: Katakan and Frightener - the only difference is that Katakan is epic and melee, and Frightener is rare and siege. Looks the same, right? But Katakan is actually much more useful in Monsters deck which is all about casting Frost all the time to melee row (Katakan will have 1 strength all the time)

The first difference is quality (sound, art, style) and the second is usually more functionality - for example epic character: Sigfrida from Skellige revives someone from the Graveyard and adds +1 strength each time someone revives cards from both Graveyards. Usually more rare cards have some complex abilities which might be much more useful in good hands than just simple 10 strength.

Also, there are 2 same vampire spies in Monsters deck: Katakan and Frightener - the only difference is that Katakan is epic and melee, and Frightener is rare and siege. Looks the same, right? But Katakan is actually much more useful in Monsters deck which is all about casting Frost all the time to melee row (Katakan will have 1 strength all the time)
frightener is not a vampire ,, it's a magical creature like golems and elementals :confusion:

In addition to what Shikate said, There is a slight correlation from rarity of cards to type of card it is.

Common cards tend to be Troops or special cards, Epics tend to be Characters, and Legendary cards tend to be Hero Class. Rare seems to be a toss up between Characters and troops.

This is not a direct correlation, but it is strong as of cards confirmed now.

The rarity seems to be a way of balancing cards to be more difficult to obtain (Given that rarity will effect the ability to collect, craft, buy, etc. a given card) and therefore making it beneficial for people to pay for a kind of currency to obtain such cards faster than just playing normally. This is speculation of course, and the game by default is free to play, but monetizing in this manner seems to be a common theme in many games online now, which leads me to believe that it will be similar in Gwent.

All good ways of telling, but as I see it right now from your answers there is no CLEAR way of telling a Common from a Rare. This seems like a bit of a flaw.

All good ways of telling, but as I see it right now from your answers there is no CLEAR way of telling a Common from a Rare. This seems like a bit of a flaw.

It's because CDP guys don't want to make a Pay-to-Win game. Like @Coto132 said - we will probably build our decks by destroying common cards in order to gather epic and legendary ones (which usually are heroes and characters). But the guys who use real cash to obtain cards are going to have much more rare-epic-legendary cards and their decks would be obviously much stronger. I guess that CDP wants to avoid it and that's why the difference between card rarities is slight.

It's because CDP guys don't want to make a Pay-to-Win game. Like @Coto132 said - we will probably build our decks by destroying common cards in order to gather epic and legendary ones (which usually are heroes and characters). But the guys who use real cash to obtain cards are going to have much more rare-epic-legendary cards and their decks would be obviously much stronger. I guess that CDP wants to avoid it and that's why the difference between card rarities is slight.

I'm not saying if it should be slight or not in terms of power or anything. Sorry for the confusion. What i MEANT to say was there should be a easy way to tell if a card is one or the other. Like a symbol or card back or something for each rarity and if it's premium or not.

I'm not saying if it should be slight or not in terms of power or anything. Sorry for the confusion. What i MEANT to say was there should be a easy way to tell if a card is one or the other. Like a symbol or card back or something for each rarity and if it's premium or not.

Oh right xD Yeah that would make sense :D At the moment we just have it under card title, but a small symbol somewhere on the card might be great.

I was not aware it was under the card title. If that's in game and you can examine the cards that should suffice to be honest.

Top Bottom