How effective should law enforcement be?

+
The thing to keep in mind tho is how viable is such a character?
Much like the earlier discussion on rabid dog mass murder in a game there should/must be a reasonable/realistic reaction by the NPCs to such activity. If any game allows you to play a character that would be the target of a city-wide manhunt due to your activities I'd call the game "broken" in terms of AI/game implementation, because it fails to model reasonable real life reactions.

In the Elder Scrolls games you can kill every NPC in the game (except children, unless you get a mod to allow even that). And while some players find such activity amusing it's certainly not anything that would be remotely possible outside the pseudo reality of video games. Thus I find it a "game immersion" breaking flaw in the games design/implementation. Every bit as unrealistic as unkillable NPCs

Last edited:
But what if the Zodiac killer is playing the game?

To be honest, I`m too lazy to look up if anyone is compiling statistics on that. My guess is that the 1/3rd figure represents the below-average man (as most criminals lack in IQ) and a character who is organized,clever and better socialized would stand much better odds.

Last edited:
But what if the Zodiac killer is playing the game?

To be honest, I`m too lazy to look up if anyone is compiling statistics on that. My guess is that the 1/3rd figure represents the below-average man (as most criminals lack in IQ) and a character who is organized,clever and better socialized would stand much better odds.

Actually I'd venture to guess most of the unresolved murders are from street violence or drug related.
Someone killed while being robbed or gang related stuff. In the first case there's really not trail to follow as vic and perp had never met previously and didn't know each other. In the other two cases ... well let's be honest ... who really cares if gang bangers or pushers are killing each other?

What are the odds of drone strikes being used on the player in later game stages?

I dont know whether to ask this in the FAQ, the ideas thread of this very thread.

Last edited:
What are the odds of drone strikes being used on the player in later game stages?

I dont know whether to ask this in the FAQ, the ideas thread of this very thread.

Any or all of those!

I moved law enforcement-type questions here, for clarity. Ish.

Cyberpunk 2020 is only moderately into drones. 2077, I dunno. Drones are kind of impersonal - Cyberpunk is pretty personal. Being hunted by SWAT or Arasaka Covert Ops is a lot more fun than a drone strike.

Cyberpunk 2020 is only moderately into drones. 2077, I dunno. Drones are kind of impersonal - Cyberpunk is pretty personal. Being hunted by SWAT or Arasaka Covert Ops is a lot more fun than a drone strike.

Not that Corp Security is TOO worried about collateral damage ... but blowing up a building to get one fugitive is perhaps a bit much even for them.

Thinking About Law Enforcement.

I think that the effectiveness and activity of law enforcement should not work in stages or levels. instead it should seem more complex and based: on where you are(social economic status of location), how bad was your crime( and if you committing murder, what was the status of the person you killed e.g. homeless? wealthy?) and the state of the precinct(if there are any). your notoriety should increase as you commit further crimes if not addressed.

when I think about bribing your way out of notoriety. I imagine it to be difficult because you need to know or find the right people to bribe, and that can be more or less difficult depending on the level of corruption, or the resilience of corruption in a the precinct. also this brings in some interesting gameplay because the wrong person could talk about you and set you up, so you might need to make background checks before you get yourself in even more trouble. making background checks or just finding the right people and influencing them can be done in a variety of ways and depending on your role it can be more or less difficult:

talking to and helping people in the area who are aware of the goings on of a precinct, your connections have perks and in associating yourself with people with large spheres of influence, you can gain influence and can find or gain the information you need.

hacking! looking in on or manipulating digital information, depending on your skills. you could also higher someone to do this for you, again you have to find them and you have to determine whether they are capable of the job. unlike an individual with influence who has access to that knowledge, the acquisition of that knowledge has a risk associated with it when hacking. Also hacking has the potential to bypass bribing individuals altogether, but digital manipulation comes at greater risk if caught.

black mail! who says you have to look for people who are crooked. make your own opportunities. this also links to another possible opportunity for game play because you can gain some influence by having connections within the police force. and maybe you don't have to be a criminal who need hide from the authorities.

------------------

thinking about this more the city could be divided into precincts or spheres of influence. presuming the world and society is divided between class layers, precincts could likely vary in levels of corruption and their capability to deal with criminal activity depending on where they are. e.g. inner/upper city is less corrupt and more capable, outer/lower city slums are the wild west and emergency services, tools of the state, are less capable.

take a precinct for example, a specifically defined area or district of the city, that has some interaction with the districts around it (can influence and be influenced by other precincts and their state) and has its own section of state apparatus. it has a police force that is not particularly influential, but has some reasonable power in its area. their influence makes your life more difficult when you engage or have engaged with criminal activity within it. depending on the capability of the precinct it can send what resources it has after you, and depending on the criminal act and your notoriety this can very. also depending on your notoriety word can be spread to other precincts about your actions to a certain extent. and make it harder to escape from a chase or escape the consequences of your actions and any department that might be looking for you. however if need be you can also push back against the police by partaking in activities that increase criminal activitty and decrease the capabilities of the police in that area, whatever those activities may be like increasing the corruption of the precinct or stealing potentially destructive information about individuals that control the precinct etc, to reduce their influence.

this could also be interesting if there are other elements like gangs that can act and influence matters within a district and even control them just like police. and your actions could help or hinder them, be for or against them. so it can bring the world together in a way and help determine with reason events within the city and have those interactions mirrored in npc's to make a world that feels more alive.

also with this kind of complexity you could potentially get forced into the slums. it makes the world seem that much more alive when it fights back, and all the more fun when you defeat it and rise to success. its fun to think about.

I realize now after looking at what I have written that I am describing a more complex version of shadow of mordor's orc society. I don't expect this kind of thing to be made but it sounded cool when I was thinking about it. I hope what I have written makes sense, I have rambled allot!!!!!!!!!!

since cyber punk is based on the pen an paper RPG, how does the original game handle the authorities and law enforcement?

Since CP2020 is a PnP game law enforcement is handled however each individual GM desires.
I'd say most run it considerably more lax and corrupt than reality, but a good many also run it totally inept or ineffective.

Realistically speaking they would never even dream of using a drone strike on you on American soil and in heavily populated areas (the people would get up in arms against the government for bombing dozens of innocent bystanders, just for one person). That's a terrible idea, unless you were in a deserted area I don't see this being implement in the CP77 world.

Realistically speaking they would never even dream of using a drone strike on you on American soil and in heavily populated areas (the people would get up in arms against the government for bombing dozens of innocent bystanders, just for one person). That's a terrible idea, unless you were in a deserted area I don't see this being implement in the CP77 world.

You....haven't read a whole lot of cyberpunk fiction or the fiction in CP2020, I'm guessing? Because the corporations would totally do that and so would the cops. The government is primarily corporate, run by the City Council but controlled by Arasaka, among others.

You have to realise - the NCPD deploy heavy weapons in civilian areas regularly to handle cyborgs and anti-vehicle issues. LeDiv HiWay travel around with either machineguns or surface to surface missiles built into their cars. Trauma Team gunners use nose-mounted heavy weapons and doorgunners to clear firefight zones to extract their clients.

The people do get up in arms and then they...don't do a lot. The rich people are fine with it and they run things.

What Sard said. Pretty much the main reason the setting is in such sorry state is because of the wide-spread mentality of "Not my problem." And if somehow you do get Beaver/Mover Average concerned, it will probably be armchair activism ala #Kony2012.

Last edited:
You....haven't read a whole lot of cyberpunk fiction or the fiction in CP2020, I'm guessing? Because the corporations would totally do that and so would the cops. The government is primarily corporate, run by the City Council but controlled by Arasaka, among others.

You have to realise - the NCPD deploy heavy weapons in civilian areas regularly to handle cyborgs and anti-vehicle issues. LeDiv HiWay travel around with either machineguns or surface to surface missiles built into their cars. Trauma Team gunners use nose-mounted heavy weapons and doorgunners to clear firefight zones to extract their clients.

The people do get up in arms and then they...don't do a lot. The rich people are fine with it and they run things.

Which is why I said "realistically" speaking. xD Perhaps I have that issue only because of the fact that I read much historical and military-based books (if you all want it then fine, I was just saying that stuff like this wouldn't likely happen in reality, especially in America).

Last edited:
I was just saying that stuff like this wouldn't likely happen in reality, especially in America).

Yeah, let's hope not.

One of the tenets of CP2020, and cyberpunk itself, is that America has gone from a first world nation to a quasi-third-world nation, with all that implies in terms of violence, corruption, political control or lack thereof, health care, etc.

I say quasi because it's not really that clear cut - but 2020 Night City city life resembles, say, Caracas or Ciudad Juarez, more than it would modern-day San Francisco.

With cyborgzzz, of course.

Yeah, let's hope not.

One of the tenets of CP2020, and cyberpunk itself, is that America has gone from a first world nation to a quasi-third-world nation, with all that implies in terms of violence, corruption, political control or lack thereof, health care, etc.

I say quasi because it's not really that clear cut - but 2020 Night City city life resembles, say, Caracas or Ciudad Juarez, more than it would modern-day San Francisco.

With cyborgzzz, of course.

So, similar to the worlds of The Crow, Robocop and Judge Dredd? That would be awesomely terrifying. :) I take back the things I said previously, that would be a much better sandbox world to play around in. Thanks Sard.

Last edited:
So, similar to the worlds of The Crow, Robocop and Judge Dredd? That would be awesomely terrifying. :) I take back the things I said previously, that would be a much better sandbox world to play around in. Thanks Sard.

Yeah, depending on Referee, those are good examples. Robocop especially, of course.

In terms of realism and plausibility, have you checked out the 2020 Timeline yet...pretty cool. http://www.shoestring-graphics.com/CP2020/timeline/

One thing to keep in mind is the bottom line.
Using a Hellfire to blow up the entire building a fugitive might be in not only has a cost in innocent lives, which admittedly the Corps could really care less about. But it also has an economic impact ... buildings aren't cheap. The insurance will cover it? I SERIOUSLY doubt many (if any) traditional insurance corps exist in the Cyberpunk world, they'd be bankrupt in no time.

One thing to keep in mind is the bottom line.
The insurance will cover it?

An excellent point. Money is king. They might fire a missile into a building to kill you...but only if you were worth it. Or the corp in charge could cover it up, if you really pissed him off...

Ib think insurance companies exist of course. And their adjuster/reclamation teams are truly fearsome...

Ooohhhh...cool campaign idea.

Top Bottom