How exactly do saves work?

+
If we can get someone to explain how the saves are supposed to work, I think there are enough of us IT folks out there, to figure out fixes or work arounds...

How exactly does loading a save game work? It SEEMS like there is some sort of override between cloud sync'd saves and manual saves, and/or cache data (other than the actual "cache", since deleting that doesn't 'fix' save game issues...)

Can/how GOG cloud sync save games, be deleted? I'd like to wipe my cloud saves, and see if that fixes my issues - forcing it to go with my manual save?

If we can get someone to explain how the saves are supposed to work, I think there are enough of us IT folks out there, to figure out fixes or work arounds...

How exactly does loading a save game work? It SEEMS like there is some sort of override between cloud sync'd saves and manual saves, and/or cache data (other than the actual "cache", since deleting that doesn't 'fix' save game issues...)

Can/how GOG cloud sync save games, be deleted? I'd like to wipe my cloud saves, and see if that fixes my issues - forcing it to go with my manual save?

You can disable Cloud Saving & Syncing 2 ways. Through the GOG Platform Settings which is globally for all games; or you can do it with the game itself. All saves are created locally on your PC first. Cloud Saving feature just uploads/verifies your save when you launch the game and when you close the game it uploads your latest saves ( I think a combination of whatever your last 10 saves are). So if you disable Cloud Syncing, your saves remain in your C:\Users\PROFILE\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red folder. It will load your local saves every time.

EDIT: Corrected & Added the correct folder location that has the save games

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips there - will try that also.

Anyone know exactly what the 'user.gls' file is, is for, etc yet? I've seen that people stuck on cloud sync issues, can fix those by deleting that file... but no info on what it is.

I DID notice though, that the timestamp on my user.gls file, very nearly matches the 'time' of my original play through that matches when I was finishing the conversation with Takemura - the point I keep getting rolled back to... So it seems like I load a saved game, and then it refers back to user.gls, and something in that file is telling it to change my location and position/status/state, and voila, I am stuck.

To test, deleting user.gls and firing it back up.

Tbh, the coding here is a clusterfk. No beta testing outside the dev group (obviously,) not designed to run on non local-admin Windows machines, not taking antivirus into account, and piss poor if any, error handling between in game systems.

Going by how the GLS file reads, it looks like its a file that GOG looks for to verify what the last save file was to sync for uploading. For me it read my Autosave7 as the lastest save. Also involved a hash number possibly for verification or how the game determines your stats kind of like those old cheat codes / save codes classic 90's console games gave out so you can continue with what you unlocked.

Top Bottom