How far along do you think Cyberpunk 2077 is?

+
qOjOp;n10652081 said:
I will play 2077 on the PC too...addicted to mods. But I will def play it on PS5 and XBOX X v2. Same thing I did with Witcher 3, played it on PS XBOX and PC. I love CDPR and like to support them to keep on making awesome games. Skyrim is another that I did the same...

Ya I wasn't even considering the mod angle, glad you brought that up - definitely a HUGE pro for sure. W3 was the first game I really got heavily into mods and they've made what was already a masterpiece in W3 even more enjoyable to replay. Sure hope CP2077 is very mod friendly.

Razrback16;n10652841 said:
Ya I wasn't even considering the mod angle, glad you brought that up - definitely a HUGE pro for sure. W3 was the first game I really got heavily into mods and they've made what was already a masterpiece in W3 even more enjoyable to replay. Sure hope CP2077 is very mod friendly.

On the other thread... these were my request for Cyberpunk 2077...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08-01-18, 05:31

Stuff that I would love to see included in the game...

1.NG+++++
2.Photo Mode
3.Dyes for Armor, Vehicles and Weapons
4.Open World without loading screen
5.Character Creation for customization
6.3rd person with 1st person option
7.Mod Friendly

For the CE... Please include the kneeling female cyborg statue.
Imho, she's already an icon for the game. ! WANT !
Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SigilFey;n10652441 said:
While not having to set a release date is ideal, in most cases both release dates and delays will be a reality. (Or rush-jobs to hit the release date...which is even worse.) From what I've gathered, once you start involving corporations like Sony, Microsoft, iTunes, etc., you're forced to play by their rules to some extent. As they traffic so many products, hitting the "date" is somewhat necessary or your title can wind up on a burner for a long while.
Yup.
Another MAJOR advantage to being independent.

SigilFey;n10658501 said:
Independence is many awesomes.

CDPR isn't totally independent. As far as I know, they have stockholders, no? I could be wrong. If they aren't a public company, that's great, but if they are, at the end of the day they will always be beholden to them above anyone else - it's basically illegal not to put their interested above the customer's. At least in the US... Poland could be another story entirely, maybe somebody more educated than I am in Poland business law can chime in.

But yes, they are, so far, going at it without a publisher and that's very good news for us. It means they can take as much or as little time as they need to in all of their projects.

I will say, I'm not expecting a delay like some of you seem to be. I don't feel delays are inevitable. I feel they only occur when something genuinely unforeseen happens or for the sake of marketing.

CDPR has already said they want to do something similar (not identical, mind you) to what Bethesda did with Fallout 4- for all we know, Bethesda could have internally delayed the game 30 times prior to officially announcing a release date. But that's the thing. They waited to announce one until they were sure -- for better or worse -- nothing else was going to change, at least nothing significant.

So, TL;DR, CDPR can delay the game as long as they want internally, but they shouldn't announce a public release date until the game is basically done and ready to go. It prevents the customer from being disappointed and thus staving off backlash and anger, and it keeps us forum folks safe from a bunch of angry 2077 fans. :)

qOjOp;n10658061 said:
1.NG+++++
2.Photo Mode
3.Dyes for Armor, Vehicles and Weapons
4.Open World without loading screen
5.Character Creation for customization
6.3rd person with 1st person option
7.Mod Friendly[/FONT]

Technical features that are already in Witcher 3 in some way (like 2, 3 and 4) are quite likely. It seems there was a demand for NG++ from many people, maybe it will be implemented, I do not know how well it would work in CP2077's character system. 5 and 6 have been suggested by information from 2012-2013, we will see how much of the original plans makes it into the final version. Regarding mod support, I would expect it to be at a similar level to Witcher 3 (basic ModKit, but not full development tools).

Snowflakez;n10658741 said:
CDPR isn't totally independent. As far as I know, they have stockholders, no?)

They do have shareholders. As far as I know, about half of the company is still owned by those who founded it, though, as a defensive measure against a takeover e.g. by EA or Microsoft.

CDPR isn't totally independent. As far as I know, they have stockholders, no?
But yes, they are, so far, going at it without a publisher and that's very good news for us. It means they can take as much or as little time as they need to in all of their projects.

I was simply identifying that small, independent, teams / businesses are wonderful. The downside is that it doesn't leave much leeway for error. Muck up something badly enough -- even once -- and a tiny venture like that will be vaporized / steamrolled by the much heavier competition. Plus, I admit freely that I could only do so much "street theatre" before I'd want to start getting some time on the main stage. It's the nature of things to grow, and growth automatically means obligations, cooperation, and lack of independence.

CDPR has grown quite a bit, already. Plus, since they already involve the Bigguns (Microsoft / Sony), I'm sure there's already plenty of "jostling and elbowing in the elevator every morning". But, that's life in the big city. I doubt TW3 would have happened without it. And I think CDPR was hella-wise for ousting the publishers. That's worlds better than having a "parent" company leaning over the project and suggesting things. (I'm certain the challenges will be enormous, but...in my estimation...they'll be better challenges.)

CDPR has already said they want to do something similar (not identical, mind you) to what Bethesda did with Fallout 4

I don't know about this; what was said?

CDPR can delay the game as long as they want internally, but they shouldn't announce a public release date until the game is basically done and ready to go. It prevents the customer from being disappointed and thus staving off backlash and anger, and it keeps us forum folks safe from a bunch of angry 2077 fans.

Ab. So. Lute. Ly.

Couldn't agree more. I only wish that more businesses would follow this line of thinking. The problem is that so much of the modern market is obsessed (and I use that word intentionally) with seeing immediate results (meaning profits). So much of the modern business world is hyper-focused on "maximizing" income -- right from the get-go. So, advertising campaigns are focused on generating carefully crafted "hype" that generates a certain level of "attention" that "market studies have shown" result in increased, day-1 sales...

And there's validity to the studies, I'm sure.

A squirrel that frantically buries more nuts in the autumn also validly has more resources at it's disposal...for one winter. Next year, they have to start all over.

I prefer cultivation and farming. But squirrels don't get farming. They just eat all the seeds.

Hence, most businesses strive for that "big payout" instead of building an infrastructure that promises longevity and stability. Doing so is pretty quiet and boring stuff. And it takes a while. And it may not result in "immediate" returns. But in the end, you wind up with a gorgeous farm that produces reliably year after year. Truly...what does a business really need?

I think CDPR is taking the time they know they have to take, and they'll announce something when there's actually something to announce. The result will be more interest than "hype". (I hope. :rolleyes:)

Thing is many game publishers base their business model on high value quick returns. And many of their investors (or CEOs ... they'll just get another job doing the same thing somewhere else) could care less if they drive themselves out of business in a few years, they'll just sell their stock and invest in something else.

CDPR is "old school", yeah W3 made them, and their investors a TON of money, but they're in it for the long haul, steady returns over time vs short term high returns.

Last edited:
Razrback16;n10652841 said:

You should try mods with Skyrim. It will bring the immersive level to a whole new experience. Sides, there are tons of mods for Skyrim...mind boggling that...
My Skyrim looked like this...and that was me wife... Cynna. My Dragonborn was wearing The Armor Of Intrigue from Witcher II - Assassins Of Kings.

i think it would be important to set dates for goals and work hard towards them, important part
if it doesnt work out its fine, but even if theres no giant publisher there needs to be pressure to keep it going

S3r1ous;n10672921 said:
i think it would be important to set dates for goals and work hard towards them, important part

It is quite likely there are internal goals and milestones, perhaps even an approximate planned release date, they are just not communicated to the public. It is apparent even from the infamous Witcher 3 documents that there is a lot of planning and management going on, but the plans often turn out to be overly optimistic (I recall from the employee reviews that were a recent topic that they often complained about milestones that are impossible to reach in time), so a public announcement of a release date will probably only be made when the game is already almost finished.

...well...
The latest rumor is that...
Cyberpunk 2077 will be a cross platformer - PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5...

walkingdarkly;n10825211 said:
True but then there's the Duke Nukem Forever length of development. :p

Yeah. Development length does not mean anything by itself.

In fact, striving for perfection can actually hurt a game in the long run. If you develop a game for 10 years, new technologies are going to come out in that timeframe and people's expectations will be higher than they would have been 5 years before that. Sure, you'll have more time to make your "Dream game," but what about your crew? Can they stay inspired and excited about a game for 10 years? Probably not, for most people.

You cannot create a perfect game, with the level of technology we have right now in the world, it is not feasible, unless your game is much smaller in scale with fewer bugs to squash and fewer complex mechanics to manage. Even then, there will always be that "one feature" somebody wants that isn't in.

I have full faith in the guys working on Bannerlord, for example, but that game has been in development for a very, very long time now - I believe even longer than 2077, though I could be wrong (I've been following it from the start but my memory is a little hazy). The company's lead developer/designer/whatever is a perfectionist and he takes too much of a hands-on approach at times and doesn't let his team do their thing.

That aside, I don't think we have anything to worry about with 2077. I am 95% certain it will be revealed at E3 this year and released -- at the latest -- Q3 or Q4 2019. I do not think we will have another DNF on our hands.

AsadaShino0821;n10830131 said:
After 5 years of development, I think it should be available for sale.

Its not 5 years in development. It is in full development since 2015/2016 after Witcher 3 and expansions release.. Before that it was pre production work and planning with very small team.

Sneky;n10830311 said:
Its not 5 years in development. It is in full development since 2015/2016 after Witcher 3 and expansions release.. Before that it was pre production work and planning with very small team.

"In full development" doesn't mean there wasn't any development prior to that. This is a common misconception. Developers that work on multiple games simultaneously rarely completely abandon one for another. Yes, CDPR shifted a lot of resources to TW3, but not all of them.

I'm willing to bet 2077 is a lot farther along than 2-3 years of development. Otherwise, it would make no sense for them to drop the hints they've dropped this year.

Top Bottom