How far does your humor go?

+
How far does your humor go?

In games we all have our moments where everyone is laughing so hard your pretty much at tears.

orr sometimes the humor just gets really really dark, like if you have a Vamp in the group.
better yet racism!

does it bother you? or do you just add to it?

for instance my groups fixer didn't exactly give my crazy, ADD nomad girl enough information. in fact it was pretty generic "find the trussed up douche baggy lookin asian man with a cyberarm."
now he may or may not have mentioned to not kill the guy but all she heard was get him, also hire some guys to help later.
so she hires som raffin shiv friends and they go on a asian genocide. needless to say alll kinds of racial jokes began to occur.

it was all very funny until i got a light concussion from hitting the wood arm on my couch.

Still sounds funny.

This depends on campaign and players. Dark Heresy and SLA humour gets reaaaalllly dark. DnD or Rifts or sommat much less so. Racism rarely comes up, since it doesn't have much effect in those games - at least not colour-based racism. Nearly everyone hates anything resembling an Elf, so that's guaranteed dandelion-eating and sexual mores jokes to do with Elf tastes.

These days you can't do anything without being called out as a racist, fascist, sexist, chauvinist, nationalist, or any other label that can be easily attached to you with impunity.

There are real injustices in the world, being committed against human beings, regardless of who they are, and those are the things we should be focusing on. Instead, everyone is expected to accept and embrace everyone else just as they are, and if you dislike a group for any reason - even if your dislike of them is based on facts about their behavior, culture, history, and so on - you're instantly labeled as one of the aforementioned things. Everyone seems to hurt their feelings all the time, and a single word is considered a crime against humanity.

The only "ism" there seems to be no huge outcry against is being against religion and not liking religious people. Thank God for that. :cool:

Well, demonism is not well considered in social meetings.
Something to do with sacrifying virgins and drinking maybe... Or about just drinking.

Imagine how far the world would have come if every single human being ever born would have realized at an early age that this life is all we ever get, that there is absolutely utterly nothing once we die, and we die so so soon. Imagine the panic, and ensuing rush to further science in order to lengthen our lifespans, and give us a stronger grip a this fragile little thing that life is.

Instead, our history is that of a species believing in an eternal afterlife. What does death mean then? Who needs science, when you've got magic?

Thankfully the trend is towards a more non-religious and a more highly scientific planet. In a recent news article on the web pages of the Finnish main news channel, YLE, they say that for every one person who joins the church (Evangelical Lutheran) in Finland, four people leave. Here's a graph, in which the purple bars are people who have left, green bars people who have joined the church.

Now obviously, I do know that the church isn't the same thing as religion. Still, there's a trend. Whatever you make of it, is up to you.

I don't mean to derail this thread, so to bring this talk about religion back to how it pertains to this thread, it's much easier to be anti-religion these days, since more and more people have no interest in it. Having said that, whilst I think people who believe in the God of the Bible or any other man-made belief are no different from people who believe in the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny or Boogieman (Santa Claus is real, by the way. He lives in Finland.), face to face, I would never call anyone insane because of their beliefs.

As far as being atheist goes... If you define atheist as someone who doesn't believe in a man made God, then count me in. However, it wouldn't take much to be a god in our Universe, and for that reason I consider myself to be an agnostic of sorts. Well, if I follow science, then I have to be agnostic.

Now... I'm done derailing with talk of religion. :)

Roleplaying is a social gathering. It is inevitable to have humor. Humor is part of it whatever its kind. Sure you can limit specially if it is too much but I guess a good balance or just follow it before getting serious again is the best way to handle it. Roleplaying is a Game hence a laugh or two are in order. I Keep it like that. As Narrator my aim is to Entertain people hence humor is something to use too.

I have a decent mix of male and female players and have had them for some time. I approach sensitive topics like a bulldozer, in that it happens, but my players know me well enough that I'm not trying to make a 'point.', but just that the event or idea just happens. Since I tend to run mine in Classic Film Noir style CP, it's never really been a issue for me.

I have been pretty blatant in showing 'No one group is without sin' when I run things, if I must be called out on a repeated trope in my style of running things. Players seem to respect that.

That been said, my humor tends to go for the 'Wait, What?" variety depending on the type of situation going on. The fact that I occasionally have the players run into truly stupid opposition on occasion does allow us to engage in dark humor as the players mess with them

Top Bottom