How grandiose is the main quest?

+
How much of V3 is being taken as a influence on 2077 (story-wise)? Because in V3 Night City is gone, but Mike Pondsmith retired that canon (I think?) given how this game would take place in NC in a period after 203X.
If there is some V3 influence in 2077, I hope it's not the disaster story. I am personally saturated with big and heroic "save the world" tales. To exemplify, I really enjoyed just doing contracts in The Witcher 3. It was just this really good witcher routine, his work on his daily life that previous games and books usually left out. But that big shadow of "save the girl with the mysterious power" or "stop the ice apocalipse" kept creeping in, preventing me from really enjoying the contracts until the end game.

So, what do you guys expect? A big action flick with something like saving Night City from it's V3 disaster? Or something more "local", with Night City acting as a challenge but not the goal?

Seems to me the plot revolves around you trying to make your way in NC. Whether that revolves around you taking down the most powerful corporation or just doing jobs to get by, that remains to be seen. Though I have a feeling what I just stated might be one of the endings, while the jobs to get by part is all your side quests.

I'm with you on the contracts. I've always enjoyed the aspect of just living in the world without any giant doomsday approach. While it can get tedious after a while, it's a nice entry to the world.

I want a story thats good . As in , screw with my brain kinda of good (like in kotor 2 with kreia) , not your 'so obvious this guy is the bad guy!'' . To be able to save Prince and princess equally , and to shoot idiot in the face when I feel like it .

I also crave a vilain thats 'new' and not your 'Oh he just like X from that dozen others games'' .

Not big on the 'Do whatever' though . In Fallout 4 , I pretty much did the main story then that was it lol and that was so short...

A good game for me , would be a game that make you feel like there is an 'Urgency' yet let you decide if you wanna pursue it or not . In BG2 for exemple , the urgency was so good..I cheated with gold and went right after Imeon thinking I was sort of timed lol learned later it was a fake urgency and I could do alot of quest and when ready , i could contact the shadow Thief .

That for me is good . It doesn't force me to advance the story if I wanna finish a side quest or level up more or get better guns . But also let me decide if I wanna see what happen next .

A good game for me , would be a game that make you feel like there is an 'Urgency' yet let you decide if you wanna pursue it or not . In BG2 for exemple , the urgency was so good..I cheated with gold and went right after Imeon thinking I was sort of timed lol learned later it was a fake urgency and I could do alot of quest and when ready , i could contact the shadow Thief .
I agree with you up to the urgency. This feeling of urgency prevents me from really enjoying side quests, and like you I did rush BG2 main quest. And for a second playthrough that aspect of the quest felt mechanical, as in no matter what I did the main quest would still be waiting.
Maybe Cyberpunk 2077 could give a sense of "importance" and not urgency, so that it compels us to act, but does not creeps in if we feel like doing something else for a while.

So far the main goal seems to be "be the best goddamn cyberpunk you can be!" Which...am I the only one that's perfectly fine with that?

How much of V3 is being taken as a influence on 2077 (story-wise)? Because in V3 Night City is gone, but Mike Pondsmith retired that canon (I think?) given how this game would take place in NC in a period after 203X.
If there is some V3 influence in 2077, I hope it's not the disaster story. I am personally saturated with big and heroic "save the world" tales. To exemplify, I really enjoyed just doing contracts in The Witcher 3. It was just this really good witcher routine, his work on his daily life that previous games and books usually left out. But that big shadow of "save the girl with the mysterious power" or "stop the ice apocalipse" kept creeping in, preventing me from really enjoying the contracts until the end game.

So, what do you guys expect? A big action flick with something like saving Night City from it's V3 disaster? Or something more "local", with Night City acting as a challenge but not the goal?
Mike Podsmith has said that this game is not about saving the world but saving yourself. So I’m guessing you won’t be trying to save Night City or trying to take down all the big corporations.

I feel maybe a another corporate war will be looming, but will serve more as a backdrop till maybe V unintentionally stirs something up causing an event to ignite a series of mayhem and ultimately inciting a war in NC. Maybe V will have her or his empire by obtaining a new Soulkiller.

It's going to be just like the witcher 3. Beniel Fetch quests, overly long story and amazing side quests. Game developers can give us a new game but sometimes things can still taste the same

I'm new here in the forums and i'm not a native english speaker, so bare with me and i apologize previously about my grammar...

Into the subject in question, the main story, V and the world.

Beginning with the saying from Mike Podsmith: "Cyberpunk is not about saving the world but saving yourself." I really want to feel that in the CP2077. I don't want to "save the world" in a cliche thing like that. I want to feel like a citizen of Night City coming from the zero stage, building my way up in the world.

I love the Witcher Games, but Geralt was a case apart. You have a pre-set character made in a novel that was adapted in a game, so "saving the world" in some way was on his path. Although who really saved the world was Ciri, not Geralt... You helped Geralt help Ciri save the world... As she said in the ending quest "This is not your story, you are just a Witcher"...

What i'm trying to say is, please CDPR, let the Witcher be the Witcher and CP2077 be a NEW thing.

But many "experiences" in the Witcher can be picked and implemented in CP2077. For exemple something similar as the "Witcher Contracts" but more shaped in the role you picked (as a Solo, Netrunner or Techie). I know that CP2077 has a "fluid class thing", but you will at some point (as i understand) have one of those "roles" as a way of playing, and i hope the A.I. of the game recognize it.

I want to be immersed in a world where i can make my story on it, this is the true essence of an RPG if that is really the proposal of the game. You have a world where you have part of it pre-established but from the way you play the world you will react and change with every step you take.

I have my faith in CDPR and Mike Podsmith, who is different from the author of The Witcher books, Mike does not act like a whining whore, he really wants this game to be a "work of art," and I'm sure I will not be disappointed in the RPG part of the game.

Actually I hope the story to be grandiose and the Citizens to aknowledge it, so I can have some of the fame I could casually have as a Rockerboy.

It probably will not start too grandiose, but it may become so throughout the course of the story. Especially if the rumors about a section of the game taking place on the moon are true.

I get the feeling "Flathead"/spider robot will be involved in plot, in some way. V will probably get caught in power struggle of higher ups, and then it will be take a turn about saving your own skin.
Large scale conflict rarely works in open world games..then you need to show large scale consequences and this is where things start to fall apart.
One thing I found odd: it's ( very ) early game and V already is working for one of highest fixers, in game world. ( Maybe she will lose everything at some point?)

I get the feeling "Flathead"/spider robot will be involved in plot, in some way. V will probably get caught in power struggle of higher ups, and then it will be take a turn about saving your own skin.
Large scale conflict rarely works in open world games..then you need to show large scale consequences and this is where things start to fall apart.
One thing I found odd: it's ( very ) early game and V already is working for one of highest fixers, in game world. ( Maybe she will lose everything at some point?)

Interesting question or aspect that I did not consider. Perhaps in some games we tend to take things for granted and while many have plot twists, there often is kind of a linear progression where you rather gain than lose things. While you do have setbacks in games I'm curious to see how it will simply "feel" in CP2077 if this is intended.

I am however generally in support of "large scale conflict in open world games" no matter what route or possibilities CP2077 will take. If devs add this, it's appreciated. I personally would not be against seeing major changes to the social climate in CP2077, if not forever after some point, then at least temporarily in a certain phase of the game. And if not city-wide, then perhaps locally in areas or districts.

For me that is part of a dynamic world, regardless of whether that changing situation is part of normal gameplay and could happen any time or under the right conditions (think of like the X space series where sectors and so on and wars can change 'randomly') or where it is part of a larger plot.

Otherwise the world might feel static in comparison. I'd sheepishly ask: why bother creating an immersive seemingly real living world if those 'political' changes are not reflected depending on scale and appropriately. I'm certain CDPR is aware of that if they already add lots of detail and we'll likely see according changes whenever they might make sense.

In the end, however, I'm expecting that V is vastly better off regarding social standing / influence and power than initially when arriving. That's logically the nature of the game. So I expect setbacks along the story, not as "status quo" or so at the end of it. Or at least not total setbacks. After all it is said you can have appartments in all districts including the fancy center where rent or so or requirements and standings surely have to be a bit higher.

Large scale consequences may be shown only in an epilogue or end of game narrated slideshow, similarly to The Witcher 3. After which we can continue playing side content, but are told the world state is like it was before the point of no return in the main story.

Large scale consequences may be shown only in an epilogue or end of game narrated slideshow, similarly to The Witcher 3. After which we can continue playing side content, but are told the world state is like it was before the point of no return in the main story.

:cautious:

would be great, to make the character mature
Post automatically merged:

Patrick Mills said that
''What I can say is that one of the aphorisms that Mike Pondsmith has about Cyberpunk is that in Cyberpunk you can’t save the world, you can only save yourself. So I would look for something like that. This is not a game about revolution, this is a world where that isn’t possible.''​

Mike does not act like a whining whore...

That made me laugh! The rest of your post was good too, but that line was just pure gold!

It probably will not start too grandiose, but it may become so throughout the course of the story. Especially if the rumors about a section of the game taking place on the moon are true.

If a farmboy from some backwater desert planet can destroy a galactic empire after a couple of '80s training montages then I'll agree with that.

I feel maybe a another corporate war will be looming, but will serve more as a backdrop till maybe V unintentionally stirs something up causing an event to ignite a series of mayhem and ultimately inciting a war in NC.

That's one way it could happen. Some little street operative does a job that tips over the right domino, and then....

Top Bottom