How is Journey worth any real money?

+
Time to play Heartstone then. Don't you think?

But the money comes from the players who must pay if they don't want to play facehunter. I would think twice before starting HS now (The first would be what else would I play, the second would be what I would prepare for dinner) :beer:

DRK3

Forum veteran
I'll share my take on this subject:

- Personally, im not inclined to making this purchase of Journey. After all, it is just cosmetics, which makes it a microtransaction, and i've never supported those in any game, not even in Gwent where i've spent +2200 hours.
Some could say im being cheap and ungrateful, but its a principle i follow as a gamer. For example, i had no problem buying Thronebreaker on launch, and i would buy any gameplay content/ campaigns CDPR could add (which they wont unfortunately...)

- I was not happy with the free Journey rewards, they are absolutely terrible compared to Premium, which i guess is acceptable, since if the players felt the free Journey offered good enough content, they would lose money on sales and wouldnt be motivating players to get premium.

- However, i have to admit i've been tempted to acquire this premium pass. Compared to previous cosmetics and their price, tihs offer is so incredibly better, both in quantity and quality and price.

- Even though i really love Geralt, i HATE using things that are super popular and everyone uses, and purchasable content always falls into that category. That's why i like to use borders/avatars/titles that almost no one has. Call me a snob/ elitist, im ok with that.
Maybe if they release Ciri on the 2nd Journey, that will make me crack and acquire it, at least it would have less players with it since 1st time things sell more, and so do protagonists vs other characters (although Ciri will always be protagonist in the books... and in my heart :shrug:

Hearthstone is making billions of dollars for Blizzard while there is no way CDPR is making any money from Gwent right now...
  1. Both facts are wrong as far as I checked few months ago (but yeah, there was like 2 magnitude of difference).
  2. You didn't read what I wrote (or didnt understand it or didn't care since you know better).
  3. Most important is playerbase. Don't you think less player-loyal system will make LESS players?
Normally I would say, any new player with any opinion is welcome, it's great to have more.
But they way you talk, eh I agree with bojerbela. (Easy for em since it's not my money).

Either way I'm notdiscussing with you anythinganymore, since you don't take arguments from other side, and also you are self condratictionary, so there is no way to pursue logic discussion with you.

rrc

Forum veteran
Maybe if they release Ciri on the 2nd Journey, that will make me crack and acquire it, at least it would have less players with it since 1st time things sell more, and so do protagonists vs other characters (although Ciri will always be protagonist in the books... and in my heart :shrug:
Ciri FTW! CDPR, next journey please give us Ciri!

I am actually a teeny tiny bit disappointed that Geralt didn't get Roach as one of his customizable option. Geralt on Roach would have been legendary!

I'll share my take on this subject:

- Personally, im not inclined to making this purchase of Journey. After all, it is just cosmetics, which makes it a microtransaction, and i've never supported those in any game, not even in Gwent where i've spent +2200 hours.
Some could say im being cheap and ungrateful, but its a principle i follow as a gamer. For example, i had no problem buying Thronebreaker on launch, and i would buy any gameplay content/ campaigns CDPR could add (which they wont unfortunately...)

- I was not happy with the free Journey rewards, they are absolutely terrible compared to Premium, which i guess is acceptable, since if the players felt the free Journey offered good enough content, they would lose money on sales and wouldnt be motivating players to get premium.

- However, i have to admit i've been tempted to acquire this premium pass. Compared to previous cosmetics and their price, tihs offer is so incredibly better, both in quantity and quality and price.

- Even though i really love Geralt, i HATE using things that are super popular and everyone uses, and purchasable content always falls into that category. That's why i like to use borders/avatars/titles that almost no one has. Call me a snob/ elitist, im ok with that.
Totally agreed, i was tempted at first to because the Price is more reasonable compared to the other Vanity's but I'm already annoyed by seeing the Geralt Skin on almost every opponent that i don't even want to use it anymore.

I don't support micro transactions either, but i probably would have made an exception for Gwent but the way* they went with Gwent pushed me far away from that.

-Replacing the Game i loved with a completely different one (beta/Homecoming)
-Balancing and Expansions last Year are going in the direction of adding more strong Finishers and quick power plays with insane value instead of following a certain game plan which requires build up from round one.

Payus

Forum regular
In 1961, italian artist Piero Manzoni, canned and sold various tins of his own doodoo.

The cans where priced acording to their weight in gold at the time (37$)
The cans have sold over time, a tin was sold for 124,000 at Sotheby's on May 23, 2007; in October 2008 tin 83 was offered for sale at Sotheby's with an estimate of £50,000–70,000. It sold for £97,250. On October 16, 2015, tin 54 was sold at Christies for £182,500. In August 2016, at an art auction in Milan, one of the tins sold for a new record of €275,000, including auction fees.* Source Wikipedia

So... paying 10$ for cosmetics doesn't sound as bad or as crazy now, right?

Value(not price) is something artist, marketers and philosophers have been studying for ages. It is extremely personal and fluctuates extremely. Some may say cosmetics are a sign of status, a sort of exclusivity which in our globalised world has become something increasingly important, to distinguish yourself from others, Some will pay any price for that. Ironically it sets you apart from one group just to make you part of another group.

It isn't an easy question and has no easy anwer. But you're free to try :)

Hearthstone is making billions of dollars for Blizzard while there is no way CDPR is making any money from Gwent right now...

Seems a bit overoptimistic.

Only games that are making billions are games like Fortnite and CoD, but those are the "biggest" in the industry.

In 1961, italian artist Piero Manzoni, canned and sold various tins of his own doodoo.

Are you implying something on the quality of the product? :coolstory:

Jokes aside, I'm tempted to buy it, even if I left Gwent around the Novigrad expansion.

What do you expect then? Additional upgrade for cards you have for? Of couse it will be all cosmetic. No one wants here p2w game. I've played heartstone for years. Total p2w trash. Players like you might like paying more, getting valuable goodies and crushing rookies who doesnt pay for a game but we dont do that in here.

Payus

Forum regular
Are you implying something on the quality of the product? :coolstory:

Jokes aside, I'm tempted to buy it, even if I left Gwent around the Novigrad expansion.

Not at all :ohstopit:

As a side note I probably won't buy it and I'm also against this kind of monetization, so I exercise my right not to buy.
I have bought a similar pass in the past and I see the value it offers and have nothing good or bad to say about it. So even I, who is staunch on no-microtransaction, and who doesn't really care about cosmetics, has bought some in the past.

I am conflicted and thus wont hassle others with their choice.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Totally agreed, i was tempted at first to because the Price is more reasonable compared to the other Vanity's but I'm already annoyed by seeing the Geralt Skin on almost every opponent that i don't even want to use it anymore.

I don't support micro transactions either, but i probably would have made an exception for Gwent but the way* they went with Gwent pushed me far away from that.

-Replacing the Game i loved with a completely different one (beta/Homecoming)
-Balancing and Expansions last Year are going in the direction of adding more strong Finishers and quick power plays with insane value instead of following a certain game plan which requires build up from round one.

Actually, yesterday i forgot to address some aspects of Journey on my previous post that i havent seen mentioned in this thread.
Despite the price/content ratio that Journey offers seems really good, i dont think the dev team deserves support when:

- Journey was released with lots of bugs. Quests not working, visual glitches, and that weekly cap was supposed to be at 350 crowns per week, so why the 100 that everyone already reached and now no motivation to play further till reset?
- Still no contracts for new leader abilities, when it was something so easy to implement
- Auto-Mill still not working properly making players lose resources
- Balance problems deliberately added like Hidden Cache and the new Cerys, that could easily be avoided by listening to playerbase input

So, for all these, i would delay the Journey purchase until most of these are fixed and CDPR proves they deserve that support. Also by buying Journey later you wont miss anything and know all the content you will unlock retroctively if you purchase it.

(EDIT) OK, so the weekly cap was bumped to 350 crowns a few hours ago apparently. One problem down, the rest to go...

For once, I think the Journey is worth $10. It was actually the first time I ever paid for anything on Gwent. I have reviewed how much goodies are packed in those 100 premium cells. Besides some really cool cosmetic features there are kegs and keys, so overall it's a decent package, much better than those bundles that are on sale in Shupe's shop.

I am conflicted and thus wont hassle others with their choice.

I am conflicted as well. I felt strongly invested in Beta Gwent.
Spending money on Homecoming might come across to the developer in the wrong way. Like I endorse the changes they made or I'm happy with the direction the game went, which I'm not. I miss Beta Gwent.

On the other hand, I think the price to value ratio of "Journey" is good and I'm happy that they try to monetize cosmetics, instead of turning P2W.

I even enjoy the game. That can be related to the long absence.
My gaming experience improved, as I got demoted into oblivion. I went from ca. 6 rank (highest 3) to rank 25 and something, where there are none (few?) meta decks. I only got nuked by Borsodi in casual. The other games on the ladder where closed with some wins and few losses.

What do you expect then? Additional upgrade for cards you have for? Of couse it will be all cosmetic. No one wants here p2w game. I've played heartstone for years. Total p2w trash. Players like you might like paying more, getting valuable goodies and crushing rookies who doesnt pay for a game but we dont do that in here.
There are lots of different playable content that could be release (along the lines of Thronebreaker) that would have value.

The paid Journey offering is literally just digital Geralt dress up.

Last edited:
The paid Journey offering is literally just digital Herald dress up.
Geralt. And it's a lot more than that; there are way more rewards on the premium "path" than just the skins.

Geralt also happens to be one of the most beloved characters in the entire Witcher series, so it's not much of a surprise even just he alone is worth the price for some players.

For once, I think the Journey is worth $10. It was actually the first time I ever paid for anything on Gwent. I have reviewed how much goodies are packed in those 100 premium cells. Besides some really cool cosmetic features there are kegs and keys, so overall it's a decent package, much better than those bundles that are on sale in Shupe's shop.

I agree the Journey is worth $10 and that junk Shupe sells is overpriced. But I decided not to buy it because, being one of those 88% of casual players who earned 2 RP or less a day by the old system, there's a possibility I wouldn't reach the end of the Journey.

On a side note, Geralt skin being so prevalent now ironically makes it kind of bland.

Assuming you play the whole journey you will get 10 kegs, 2 of them are premium which would cost more of 10$ if you buy them. Plus lots of other stuff. In sum the journey is propably the cheapiest offer they provided that I know of.
In my opinion the premium journey is worth to consider if you are passionate to this game.

I'm honestly at a complete loss why anyone would pay ~$10 for Journey... Also, the Free to Play Journey only gives Reward Point keys and Avatars... that is incredibly lame. I can only show one avatar at a time so why would I really care about getting a number of them? In short, the whole monetization strategy for Gwent seems to be very poorly thought out and years behind other F2P models.

The key is to avoid P2W (Pay to win.) If they gave anything that wasn’t aesthetic it would hurt the game. This leaves premium cards (something else they sell, thus not wise to compete against yourself,) or trinkets. You said yourself avatars are not that appealing (especially since they lost their unique voice taunts,) so that leaves few options. People who care for aesthetics will buy and people who don’t, won’t.

Top Bottom