How is the medtech class going to be handled, if at all?

+
How is the medtech class going to be handled, if at all?

There are many hacking mini-games, they almost all universally suck.

I think it would be more fun if you could have mini-games for medtech.

So my question is:
How should the medtech class be handled? And how would that affect the health system?

There should definetly be a mini-game for open heart surgery akin to surgeon simulator.
I don't think there should be a mini-game for applying a band-aid but should you for example have a minigame for applying a tourniquet?

Espescially if you decide to have permatheft of limb. A highly skilled medtech might skillfully cut the tendons and bones so as to saveguard the costly cyberware for resell and make a sterile environment in a gritty back alley.While an idiotic solo might just chop it off with his combat knife and put it in his freezer alongside a few beer cans,come what may.

Advantages
1-Unlike hacking, anatomy is relatively simple to understand.
2-It would be genuinely educational
3-Unlike hacking, surgery is concrete and not abstract.
4-It would put a further strain on recovery, and thus making combat in general more deadly.
5-Would make medtech class more appealing

Surgeon Simulator 2013 is absolutly hilarious.

Last edited:
Being able to harvest peoples organs and sell them would be an interesting and entertaining feature... Though I'm not sure if there should be a mini-game for it. I imagine it would get tedious once the novelty wears off.

This is a really solid question and focusses on one of the most under-appreciated Roles. Given the popularity of healers in MMOs, I know that many players enjoy the role of support, so I'd say it's worth some attention.

Surgeon Simulator or something simper, (heh), could be really cool. I don't know if you need a minigame, but they could use an online database that you refer to, and have to carryout the procedures or the patient gets worse.

You wouldn't need too many. Pressure on wound, tourniquet, shock treatment, CPR, impalement maybe, amputation.

Otherwise, they could look at some kind of MMO-style heal game, tracking everyone's damage from their Biomonitors and keeping them stable or from bleeding out.

I'd like to see several plot lines that ONLY happen if you are a Medtech, and if you save lives/cyber up certain people.

Surgeon Simulator or something simper, (heh), could be really cool. I don't know if you need a minigame, but they could use an online database that you refer to, and have to carryout the procedures or the patient gets worse.

You wouldn't need too many. Pressure on wound, tourniquet, shock treatment, CPR, impalement maybe, amputation.

Otherwise, they could look at some kind of MMO-style heal game, tracking everyone's damage from their Biomonitors and keeping them stable or from bleeding out.

This might not have been what you meant, but I imagined this scenario as some kind of quick-time event. As someone bleeds out, maybe press a button to apply pressure, and a different button for each stage of medical treatment. I wouldn't have a problem with something like that, because as long as it sorta kinda keeps me involved, I'll be happy. I am aware that not many people like QTEs these days, though...

I'd like to see several plot lines that ONLY happen if you are a Medtech, and if you save lives/cyber up certain people.

Yes, definitely. To sort of build on this, I want the narrative and the "skill tree" (or whatever CDPR decides to use) for my character to be separate. The narrative should center around my class, whereas the "skill tree" should center around my actions. So, like you said, the Medtech would have specific plot lines that focus on Medtech related things. What each individual Medtech is able to do in those situations is entirely up to how they developed their character's skills. I think wisdom00 (basing this from memory) suggested something similar to this but in a previous thread. I liked his suggestion but I'm too lazy to look for it.

i was never really interested in the medtech class but now that you mention those points i got really interested. Its clearly a special class which should feel different to other classes.

Being able to harvest peoples organs and sell them would be an interesting and entertaining feature...

i like that idea, its sounds crazy....

exactly those a things that makes the game exciting, playing with different roles and making different decisions

I'm not very knowledgeable of the source material of Cyberpunk 2020, but that's never stopped me from giving my opinion before.
I googled "Cyberpunk 2020 MedTech role" and found this site briefly detailing what the role is: http://www.oocities.org/gilthanasa/guide/roles/medtechie.htm
So here's my thoughts of how the role could work based on that.

I really liked the healing system in the Metal Gear Solid series.
Maybe something like that would fit with certain aspects of this role. Like with pharmaceuticals, or something. A menu could display what pharmaceuticals the player has, and their positive and negative effects.

As for surgery, maybe you could choose what procedure you're going to do, given the players level, knowledge of procedures, and items available for use. Sort of like how you can choose what plays to use in a sports game. Similar to what I said about pharmaceuticals, a menu could show the player what procedures they've learned, items required, and the effectiveness on the patient/captive.
The more experienced you are in surgery, the better the process will turn out. Maybe your character could learn different techniques like how in the Witcher, you had to learn about the monsters you were going to fight to find weaknesses, and what-not. This is where the use of databases would come in.

Last edited:
Not a big fan of mini-games ... they ALL get old after a playing them a couple times, and usually emphasize motor or knowledge skills that make them very difficult for some players.
Been more then one game I enjoyed I had to just give up on because the mini-games were the only way to accomplish some things. What's the point of character skills?

As to organ harvesting ... yeah ... that makes sense, good money to be had in fresh organs.
And of course risks to being caught 8)

Last edited:
If you play medtech I would like the option to own a small surgery. Then the possibilities are endless, you could have a patient who comes in for more cyberparts but ends up going full psycho on you afterwards and tears the place apart.

I wasn't thinking minigames or QTE. I was thinking, take mouse, pull bandage across wound. Take mouse, apply pressure. Each injury would be a little different, mostly dictated by blood loss, degree of shock value, available tools, etc.

I've seen some pretty simple but still interesting online surgery simulators that do this. SInce you never know what the injury is or how much time you have to figure it out and fix it, it could be quite fun.

Especially since anyone can do it, but only people with MedTech have a chance to do serious work and/or safely harvest organs/add cyberware.

Imagine it: your favourite NPC, who I dub, "Wisdom001" because he's large hairy and packs a revolver the size of my character ( a nimble, smiling, crazily-cybered Solo), is bleeding out from a punctured lung -and- is axphys..asph...fuckit, suffocating. You have to save him!

Sure, you can stop the blood loss, mostly, but when you go to plug the sucking chest wound and stop the blood loss, you can't seem to apply the pressure bandage..or even figure out where it goes! Blood everywhere, Wisdom dying..if ONLY you'd taken those 3 points in MedTech!!

Not that I would let him die on purpose. Noooo. That'd be wrong.

Actually a fair number of US Navy Corpsmen (medics) carry tampons.
Great for plugging up bullet holes.

"Bullet holes"

Though in all honesty, they can also be used for bad nose bleeds. Most nose bleeds aren't bad enough to warrant their use, but they are effective.

I wasn't thinking minigames or QTE. I was thinking, take mouse, pull bandage across wound. Take mouse, apply pressure. Each injury would be a little different, mostly dictated by blood loss, degree of shock value, available tools, etc.
America's Army had system like this in place. You had to apply correct therapy for specific symptoms to help the wounded. Everyone should be able to do this, but would require obtaining some knowledge (same goes for giving drugs or meds, etc). Unless you want to experiment (with possibly fatal results)... Medtech should know this stuff by default and be able to use more advanced tools without thinking "what this does?". It's not a bad idea. It's better than QTE.

I'd say keep it somewhat simple and close to the core of it. Surgeon simulator or Octodad are parodies that show us why we don't need to transfer specific motions through clunky means of control. We wouldn't have such a hard time say opening a door as Octodad has, we aren't octopy trying to pass as people, we're people, we know how a hand works, so much so that we take it for granted, we just want the action done. A good control mapping doesn't feel like pushing buttons or keys, it feels like you have a direct neural interface with the game, the impulses that move your thumbs and fingers become neural impulses that make the character act a particular way. If we are to make something more of healing wounds in CP2077 than just use item and get HP back, I'd say we should only go as far as MGS3 went. There you had specific wounds that needed to be treated with specific procedures: use knife to extract bullet, use disinfectant, sew... The bigger the injuries and the number of them the longer the "blocked" part of our health bar: a segment of the health bar would be marked red, meaning that was health that we could not recover with rest or serum until the injury was treated. It was quicker and simpler than it seems, and it was all done via a menu.
Menus don't necesarily have to pause the action, maybe we can drag an indisposed companion to cover and perform healing as long as we remained out of the firing line. If specific treatments are too much, make it a progress bar and have it consume resources automatically from our inventory.

I'd say keep it somewhat simple and close to the core of it. Surgeon simulator or Octodad are parodies that show us why we don't need to transfer specific motions through clunky means of control. We wouldn't have such a hard time say opening a door as Octodad has, we aren't octopy trying to pass as people, we're people, we know how a hand works, so much so that we take it for granted, we just want the action done. A good control mapping doesn't feel like pushing buttons or keys, it feels like you have a direct neural interface with the game, the impulses that move your thumbs and fingers become neural impulses that make the character act a particular way. If we are to make something more of healing wounds in CP2077 than just use item and get HP back, I'd say we should only go as far as MGS3 went. There you had specific wounds that needed to be treated with specific procedures: use knife to extract bullet, use disinfectant, sew... The bigger the injuries and the number of them the longer the "blocked" part of our health bar: a segment of the health bar would be marked red, meaning that was health that we could not recover with rest or serum until the injury was treated. It was quicker and simpler than it seems, and it was all done via a menu.
Menus don't necesarily have to pause the action, maybe we can drag an indisposed companion to cover and perform healing as long as we remained out of the firing line. If specific treatments are too much, make it a progress bar and have it consume resources automatically from our inventory.

That was more, or less how I thought the role should work as well. There's no reason to change a system that works. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Just let me seal it up with super glue, let me chew on the tobacco from a cigarette, smear that on the wound, and wrap the whole thing in duct tape...

Just let me seal it up with super glue, let me chew on the tobacco from a cigarette, smear that on the wound, and wrap the whole thing in duct tape...

Okay.

You kid.

But seriously, THIS is what I want to see doable as first aid in the game - improvised medicine with suitable Street implements. It would totally be a great cyberpunk-themed take on emergency medicine, would set the game apart and depending on the number of ingredients you could deploy, would make a really amusing set of youtube videos.

How about also:

gunpowder burned to sterilize.

heated roof tar to close arteries

splints made out of other people's cyber

electrical wire to support

transfusions with flexible neon sign tube or car/bike tire tube

amputate with broken glass pane

tourniquet with things like seatbelts, rifle slings, fibre-optic

Top Bottom