How many gigabytes does it take to make a human?

+
How many gigabytes does it take to make a human?

How much information is stored inside a human? Not as much as you think. All you need is a mere 1.5 gigabytes to fit your entire genetic code.

Of course, we have a lot of cells in our body (around 40 trillion) and each of those cells contain the full 1.5 GB of our genetic code. So a real person has about 60 zettabytes (60 with 21 zeroes after) of information in total. Thats huge. In the year 2020 all the digital information in the world will only tally up to 40 ZB. So turns out, there's a lot of information necessary to make a person.

But! 99.9% of our genetic information is shared with everyone else on Earth. What makes us unique is much, much smaller than a ZB. In fact, it takes less than a megabyte to make a person different from the next.
So there it is. A reasonable 1.5GB of information for our genetic code. A ridiculous 60ZB flowing in all our bodies. And an embarrassingly tiny megabyte that makes us believe we're a unique snowflake.

Here is the video with all the informations, pretty interesting......

What I found interesting was the last bit where they were talking about spoken words having been "recorded" by the environment and the potential for recovering them.

Imagine being able to hear Aristotle?

What I found interesting was the last bit where they were talking about spoken words having been "recorded" by the environment and the potential for recovering them.

Imagine being able to hear Aristotle?

Oh, Suzy. You're so smrt.

I was thinking, "imagine being able to hear myself at ages 5, 10 and 15. Or my parents and friends."

Retrospective movie-making for the Selfie generation.

also handy for crime-solving.

And could be a cool Cyberpunk mission to recover/hack something like this.

I -really- need to start writing these down and run something...

Oh, Suzy. You're so smrt.

I was thinking, "imagine being able to hear myself at ages 5, 10 and 15. Or my parents and friends."

Retrospective movie-making for the Selfie generation.

also handy for crime-solving.

And could be a cool Cyberpunk mission to recover/hack something like this.

I -really- need to start writing these down and run something...

That's annoying me - what film was that again?

No, it wasn't Frequency (a film that, incidentally, I watched while in hospital. It seemed to be on every time I turned on the TV)

So I gave up on you lot and looked it up. It's amazing the way that a Google search on "film where all memories are recorded" actually works.
The Final Cut. (Looks like there are others too, but that's the one I was thinking of)

Just one "n" in Canuck.

Oh, Marines. Still the blunt end of the spear, eh? Eh?

There was another show where you had to use some kind of time-echo to solve crimes or spy on yourself...not Memento, although that was a neat take on memory and crime..virtualization of a human..

Hmm.

Freejack was pretty cool, but not really the same..

Source Code! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0945513/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_9

That was cool.

Human as information..mostly.

I prefer it with two.
Can-nuck ... sorta like Can-not ... or is it Can-naught?

Besides, remember:

Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Essential

I dont really see the phenomenon of the video so what the guy did is at first he very briefly talked about the binary code then he analyzed some data concerning human DNA code and figured out how much space would the text containg our DNA take in difital form. At last he said something which again is supposed to be a common knowledge namely that by talking we emit voice waves and he suggested that perhaps some day somebody will figure out the way to retrieve it?

All in all whatever we can what can expect in the near future I'm sure this guy is on it:

[video]http://www.ted.com/talks/ray_kurzweil_get_ready_for_hybrid_thinking[/video]

What got my attention was the amount of data that would need to be transmitted to do the classic Star Trek Teleporter.
Considering it's generally used with no receiving station at the point to arrival how the hell do you transmit that much data to "nothing" and reassemble a person?

What got my attention was the amount of data that would need to be transmitted to do the classic Star Trek Teleporter.
Considering it's generally used with no receiving station at the point to arrival how the hell do you transmit that much data to "nothing" and reassemble a person?
The transporter in Trek or the concept really makes me wonder if you are reassembling or creating a new being with everything you were at the point in time you got zapped. The whole thing about whether there is the concept of a soul and if there is, does it go with all those atoms. Or does the process create a new soul. Or does it create an empty husk of who you were. Alright, I 'm getting too deep for this late hour of writing this post.

Forum veteran
The whole thing about whether there is the concept of a soul and if there is, does it go with all those atoms. Or does the process create a new soul. Or does it create an empty husk of who you were. Alright, I 'm getting too deep for this late hour of writing this post.
Whenever another you is created, it's always an evil twin. Always. Unspoken rule of the universe.

Since the vast majority of information in people is redundant, I wonder if there'd be some way of having all of that redundant information draw from a single source like a bunch of desktop shortcuts?

What really boggled my mind was that things where unreplicatable but you could transport them.

Top Bottom