How many of you plan on playing against your life path origin? I.E. street kid that is pro corpo etc...

+
The poverty in Cyberpunk is probably one you were born into, at least in the non-corpo origins. If I would start as corpo, then I could
a.) Blame Arasaka for firing me and go on a revenge trip. This means I could ally myself with Arasakas competitors without a second thought
b.) Blame all corps, and jump on SIlverhand bandwagon. This seems strange however, since I already saw it as a good idea to work for them in the first place.
On my Corpo
Going for option a. I'm gonna work with Militech.
I also like the idea of working with militech, but I really seriously hope everyone thinking of betraying a faction has considered that it may be very wise to avoid getting cyberware mods for anyone you're planning on going against. Remember, they made that. They have the keys to the things they make. That is inside you now. They have the keys to you. Forget getting hacked by an enemy. Think about what happens when you attack Arasaka and they just push a button and V's arms and legs deactivate and fall off.

Always gear up in avoidance of brands you're going against in this game. I sense shenanigans could be possible. :think:

Edit: Think DRM inside your cyberware, and Think backdoors in all your hardware on the barebones deepest system level. like beyond firmware. Think a level so deep that it doesn't even have a name. It's like where software and hardware blur and you can't even tell which is which anymore. If I'm gonna fight Arasaka, you can be sure I will probably try to avoid having any Arasaka parts or software in me. Other than that darn chip... of course.

I mean think about it. You have people just in 2020 running around trying to do that whole "right to repair movement" because in 2020 there are already corporations doing crazy !@#$ like putting DRM into their tractors so farmers can't repair them unless they go to the corporation again. Don't want to do that? Well your multi million dollar super advanced GPS auto piloted farming tractor is now a useless brick, and your crops are all dead from not being tended to, or all spoiled from not being harvested on time... and that's it, bankruptcy. Very sad. This is a reality in 2020, so I imagine in 2077 that things are much worse (at least in the game, hopefully not in real life) Not getting political, just something fascinating I noticed, which ties into the game lore, as well as the whole DRM thing.

So imagine having DRM inside your body? We all know this is a dream that the illuminati or corpos or whatever seem to have, with the whole chip under the skin or glowing DNA tattoo mark of the beast type of thing they so desperately want to push. I'm just saying, V probably wants to be careful which corporation V lets install stuff in their body, because Cyberpunk2077 is a world in which those bad guys got their way to a huge extent.

Last edited:
I've been avoiding too many spoilers on how the story will go, but I fully intend to try to RP in a way (or as much a way as I'm allowed) as to make my character a rebel who was working within the system to try to change it. Seems like that might turn into "but gets chucked out and now has to do things the hard way".
-Idol is/was Johnny
-Intelligence/Tech/Body
-Corpo Origin
-"Chaotic Good" (a "steal from rich to give to the poor... the poor mostly being me!" kinda thing)

Not sure how much freedom we'll have to RP, but I hope the dialogue does give us the option to not be an asshole sometimes, lol.

That's really interesting. So I guess this means I can't have a pet tornado? :shrug:
I guess there's a really huge emphasis on making sure the player feels like they're messing with giants. This makes things more interesting, if they're really that serious about it.
I've been avoiding too many spoilers on how the story will go, but I fully intend to try to RP in a way (or as much a way as I'm allowed) as to make my character a rebel who was working within the system to try to change it. Seems like that might turn into "but gets chucked out and now has to do things the hard way".
-Idol is/was Johnny
-Intelligence/Tech/Body
-Corpo Origin
-"Chaotic Good" (a "steal from rich to give to the poor... the poor mostly being me!" kinda thing)

Not sure how much freedom we'll have to RP, but I hope the dialogue does give us the option to not be an asshole sometimes, lol.
I hope to try to just go around the entire game (not always but when I feel like having fun by being sneaky) and just hack everything.

Like Blood Artist said, the backgrounds are not an ideology, like you would have in RPGs like Knights of the Old Republic (Jedi/Smith) or an intent like in Dishonored (Bloodthirsty/Bloodless).

The backgrounds are more of a mindset and looking at the way of life. I’m not sure Corpo or Street Kid would even have a Code, other than “Fuck you, got mine”. Corpo and Street Kid would just be going after the same thing from different starts. Nomad’s just has a reputation of independence and working with family.

That said, I do plan on giving my three characters interesting quirks or fatal flaws.

My Street Kid’s going to have a “small dog” complex where they constantly think and act bigger than they really are and easily get themselves into situations they have no control over. Very drawn to glitz and glamour.

My Nomad will try to stay out of situations that reek of big city subterfuge, but will reluctantly get themselves into trouble trying to do the morally right thing every single time.

My Corpo is a schemer who will recognise a ploy when they see one and they’ll make a point of staying in the shadows, but they’re also vindictive and self-serving to a point of self-harm.

I suppose the thread would be interested in me making a Corpo who is trying to do the right thing, a Nomad who wants to fit into the City life, or an unexpectedly clever Street Kid who can manipulate others, but I usually have more fun playing the logical extensions of what I’m already given, like a proud dwarf in Dragon Age etc.

Last edited:
My most favorite background by design right now is Corporate. Or Corpo.

As such, I will pick it first, but from that perspective (not minding the "roleplay" aspect) it would make little sense for me to go against it, unless I get encouraged to due to plot shenanigans and personal belief.

Quite the contrary, with what we know about the Corpo background and ... I won't spoil it even if it's known by many by now ... but basically, I want to be as close to them as possible. It's wealth and power in Night City, and even with Vs "cut formal ties" to organizations, I like imagining becoming a famous Merc with Corpo roots and connections. Suits or corpo combat gear will likely be my go-to attire as I roam the world, while likely doing actions that benefit the Corps - and thus me or my character in turn.

What comes next, I'm not sure. I can see the enticement in picking another role and both going with your themes or against them, e.g. corpo-turned Nomads or street kids. But as Corpo, I want to stay Corpo.

Question is, however, how far or deep you can go either with your background and themes, or against them. That remains to be seen.

Keive

Forum regular
I'm going Corpo but would like to "rebel" against my old ways. Sort of like, paying for past sins? Regretting paths took before? I always loved a good bad guy to good guy story (who might go back to bad guy again?)

I'm going Corpo but would like to "rebel" against my old ways. Sort of like, paying for past sins? Regretting paths took before? I always loved a good bad guy to good guy story (who might go back to bad guy again?)
Part of me kind of wants to roleplay as a good guy version of Dio from JoJo's Bizarre adventure, and use the Kereznikov like Za Warudo, (hopefully someone makes a mod to make it more like the anime, just the ZA WARUDO part. I don't like much of the rest of the anime though, just saying)

I plan a Street Kid origin and I'll work with anyone that pays their bills and doesn't screw me over.
As to my loyalty?
To myself.

Pretty much how I intend to play as well, though in conversation outside of jobs I'd have Street Kid V be much more sympathetic toward the downtrodden, the gangs, and nomads...and generally having little to say about corporations or corpos that is positive. Eddies are eddies however and job is a job...personal feelings don't factor into that equation.

Top Bottom