How many times have you played W2?

+
How many times have you played W2?

I've played five times so far. Each time I discovered something new. This is hands down my favorite RPG of all time.

I've completed TW1 once.

I've completed TW2 once.

I have this notion that you should only play an RPG once (any game will do I guess but I apply this rule only to RPGs). The simple reason being, the more times you play it, the more you reduce the story to just that, a "game". You start seeing design choices and bugs. You start getting under the immersion and into the mind of the designer. You stop appreciating the story and start seeing the faults.

Multiple playthroughs is also kinda boring since you get too see all the content you missed out on on the first playthrough. But that's the thing that made the game special to you in the first place. Your choices set you down a very specific path and the shit you got to see was "your" story. Multiple playthroughs reduces your story to nothing more than a checklist. It turns the art into a tool for you to get as much content as possible, despite if you actually agree with the choices you make after the first playthrough.

It seems like I'm the only one who actually thinks like this. Which is great. I love being special ^^

FoggyFishburne said:
I've completed TW1 once.

I've completed TW2 once.

I have this notion that you should only play an RPG once (any game will do I guess but I apply this rule only to RPGs). The simple reason being, the more times you play it, the more you reduce the story to just that, a "game". You start seeing design choices and bugs. You start getting under the immersion and into the mind of the designer. You stop appreciating the story and start seeing the faults.

Multiple playthroughs is also kinda boring since you get too see all the content you missed out on on the first playthrough. But that's the thing that made the game special to you in the first place. Your choices set you down a very specific path and the shit you got to see was "your" story. Multiple playthroughs reduces your story to nothing more than a checklist. It turns the art into a tool for you to get as much content as possible, despite if you actually agree with the choices you make after the first playthrough.

It seems like I'm the only one who actually thinks like this. Which is great. I love being special ^^

It's not that you are the only, it's that The Witcher is the only RPG you ought to replay for its complexity, quality and... well, if you don't try to replay it you'll never understanding why the rest of us do it :p

TW1- Once.

TW2- Twice.

Playing the same game 30 times!!!!! Don't you have any other games to play??? And FoggyFishburne has a point.

YaSoora said:
TW1- Once.

TW2- Twice.

Playing the same game 30 times!!!!! Don't you have any other games to play??? And FoggyFishburne has a point.

I've lost the count of them... but after more of 3 decades playing from Pong to now, it is the first RPG which I enjoy replaying because is the first game that make you feel you're playing a new DLC instead a new walkthrough.

Pong:

TW1: about 12.

TW2: 6 complete, 2 in progress.

Last night, I noticed the Lobinden children singing "Raindrops on noses, and whiskers on chickens" for the first time.

GuyN said:
TW1: about 12.

TW2: 6 complete, 2 in progress.

Last night, I noticed the Lobinden children singing "Raindrops on noses, and whiskers on chickens" for the first time.
Haha, that's actually pretty awesome :p

For those who don't know.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sdqf-livYY[/media]

It's not the original but this is my favourite version.

There's also the Sex in the City reference in Lobindon. That one is also tongue in cheek funny although a lot more obvious :) There's a lot of pop cultural references in TW2 now that I think about it. I like that. Keeps the game from going overboard with being too distant and way too serious. It's good to have something to make you smile in between the killing, raping and pillaging that takes place in the Witcher games. It also offers nice juxtaposition, allowing for the player to feel two contrasting emotions that elevate and enhance the mood whenever one is feeling down or up. If the player never laughed while playing then why should he be sad, there's nothing to offset the balance. If you're just serious all the time, then you can't reflect on the good times, or sad times for that matter, and there's no growth or emotion development with the player. He's just a static brick. Where's the fun in that? Don't you, as an artist, want to have an impact on the player on a deeper level than just offering mindless gameplay for 10 hours?

And what the fuck am I going on about :S It's a cool song ^^

Twelve times, only on Xbox - did not know the game before the Enhanced Edition. And always taking full advantage of all times, doing all the missions, rereading the bestiaries and exploring quite the map.

TheDagothUr said:
TW1 about 7 times. I actually wanted to do another one soon.

TW2 about 9 or 10 times.

I'm a bit tempted to replay TW1 too due to GW2's similar concept art loading screens making me nostalgic of that game.

-The Witcher 1 like three times, too bad that I can't replay it well for particular annoying performance issues :(

-The Witcher 2 like four times and going now to the fifth, and all the ending gamesaves shall be saved 4ever in a lonely folder.

@FoggyFishburne, actually, even as I usually replay a lot whatever the game is when I like it, I understand the fact of playing an RPG just once. I normally play RPG games firstly with the main character as myself, so the first playthrough is really meaningful. Then I play again adopting another role just to see more of what the developers made. Basically, when I like a game, I tend to try to play and discover every possible detail XD

Still, I understand that feeling of going through and interesting story, doing big choices and then never know what could have happened doing other things, like life itself. The only thing I'll never understand from gamers is when someone reloads a gamesave when they see the outcome wasn't as cool as they thought even if they did what they wanted to do. What's the point of playing an RPG then, DUDE!? XD

Top Bottom