How many years have you played games ?

+
Well... I grew up with a game boy, went to game boy color, had a SNES my brothers and I shared, and played my grandmother's NES she kept for all the kids from time to time when visiting her. When it came to anything past that, I guess I was around 10, I think my parents decided I was a bit too tomboyish... Being the only daughter... I specifically request a PS and Kingdom Hearts and my brother ended up with an Xbox and a couple games he didn't even ask for... : I

I played at my friend's houses, game cube, N64, Xbox and PS, Wii, whatever I could get ahold of throughout my teens. It wasn't until I was 18 that I got my own computer and started really getting into gaming whatever I wanted. Hasn't gotten old since. I like to go back and play older games I missed out on. Witcher was one of those, and remains my favorite.

Mid to late 90's. Started out with the NES and SNES. Later got into playing the PS1 and PC gaming. Stayed basically with consoles only after that(minus my times with Warcraft 3, WoW, and Guild Wars) and found a balance between both after discovering the witcher.

Around 33 years... back in 1982 with a ZX48K Spectrum. Probably played a few games of pong, or space invaders at the arcades or friends' houses before that, but not a big thing.

Atari ST520 when it came out (as well as the ZX, which was still in use in 1991 at least, when I bought my first PC (386/387, with 4MB RAM and a 100MB HDD - blew up under warranty and was replaced by a 486 by the supplier).

Hm, interesting question as I don't remember.
But I can try - let's see. My mother didn't allow me any game boys (later I went borrowing such things from friends), and I first got hands on PC games in elemantary school, that would've been in ... 2002, so well, that should be the time I started playing, but I simply don't remember the name of that game.
However, I got my first own computer in 2005 (like "own" computer, if you know what I mean ;)), and although I was enjoying playing games I didn't play that often. Started to play more regularly in 2013 when I came back from Poland where I discovered the Witcher games, so you could say I'm here thanks to The Witcher series :D

I can't remember exactly but it was around 1994 or 1995 that I first got a SNES followed by the original Game Boy in clear. The first games I got were the Mario games, Ah, those were the days...

Here:

I´m 31 now, do the math, lol! (I seem to be about... 6 in that picture?)

I started playing videogames at a very early age, in an Atari 2600. Great times!
In fact, I think you can see me playing Pole Position there... the nostalgia!

About 18-19 years IIRC. Started on PC and stayed there, never regretted it ever since. :)

Played some GameBoy games even before that but that doesn't really count in my books... ;)

I still go back and play old games on my gameboy color from time to time (purple, ftw). Maybe nostalgia has a lot to do with it, idk... Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins is the bomb. Counted or not, you missed out if you didn't thoroughly enjoy gameboy games as a kid.

Cradled under a blanket with a flash light in my teeth so I could play without my folks noticing in the dead of night..... Only to fight constant glare... Ahhh childhood...

My first introduction to computer games was "The Count" on a Radio Shack TRS-80 ... and that would have been around 1982 :)

My first memories start at around age four... so i've been typing in IDDQD and IDKFA since 1996 :D

Lol. 1993 was the date I was born. I think i started playing games somewhere in the early 2000s, but I also played a lot of "older games".

My first game was Super Mario World on the SNES. The whole thing evolved into PS1, PS2 and then finally came the jump to PC. I first had a Laptop (played a lot of WoW back in the days and almost nothing else, had that phase, and then I got my first gaming PC. Stopped playing WoW, started playing a lot of games, stumbled upon the Witcher not too long after it's release, didn't play it completely back then, didn't appreciate it either (when you are young.....).

Then, a few years back, I came into the phase of really playing all kinds of games. Old ones, new ones, classics. I became really picky then and only played "good" games, searching for challenging games, gameplay masterpieces or story-heavy games. The term hardcore comes to mind. Casual gamer became a swearword, a cure in my vocabulary.
Later on I cooled down. Still not a fan of casual gamers but I can emphasize with some of the opinions of the casual.

I am more open now to games, but still picky, my focus shifted to games with good stories and games with a lot of replayability. Important for me are relatively open worlds or levels, freedom of movement, space, (open world or sandbox games (sandbox being a game which is not open world but has a relatively "open" space and different approaches towards objectives in it's missions)), freedom of approach and freedom of choice, non-linear experiences, increased replayability, gameplay smoothness (not in terms of "easy" controls but in terms of good designed controls and abilities), lots of environmental interaction, immersion and (possibly) lore as well as believably of the world (within the world itself, not to confuse with "realism")

Last edited:
I was playing a Game Named Trek at a friends house sometime about 1977-78 (Which was later Named Apple Trek on the Apple II microcomputer in 1979)
At the Time i could not afford a Apple II for $1,298 USD, but luckily my friend was a Salesman for Apple and had a complete Apple II Demo, which he brought home.
He let me play non-stop all weekend, until I finished the Game late Sunday nite, He told me later I was considered the Trek Champion by the people at Apple.
I told him thanks for turning me into a PC Gameing ADDICT !!!
It was not until the Commodore Vic Twenty came out that i could buy my own PC, and I have been Hooked Ever Since.

Later on, Another Game on Apple that I saw but never got to play was Called "Eamon" the first text adventure that know of that had interactive NPC's.

Last edited:
been gaming since 1989, sega all the way till they stopped producing consoles ad then switched to playstation.

Started out programming games from magazines for my Timex Sinclair and Radio Shack Color computer. Fu-k, ages ago!
Before that, Atari and Intelevison.

Gaming since I was 3 - 4 years old, playing games on Genesis, which then lead into Saturn, PlayStation, and PC.

Collecting rings, ripping out spines, shooting demons, chewing bubblegum and having a Final Fantasy with Metal Gear since I was but a wee lil' lad.

The first game I ever played was The Never Ending Story.

It was a script based adventure game for the ZX Spectrum..

Man we've come a long way since then.

Born in 1982. First game I can remember playing was the gold box games, with Eye of the Beholder and Eye of the Beholder II being some of the favorites. I was also playing on the Sierra Network way back and played Yserbius quite a bit and also Legend of the Red Dragon on BBS'.

I'm happy to see old schoolers (relatively speaking) returning to the forums. Lets make another age poll!

Top Bottom