How Much Do You Think Cyberpunk 2077 Has Changed?

+
How Much Do You Think Cyberpunk 2077 Has Changed?

Asking this in regards to the original concept and the features they talked about in 2013. To refresh your memory:

• Open world action RPG
    • Near futuristic setting with ultramodern technology in the corrupt and tech-advanced world of the year 2077
    • Set in the sandbox of Night City (fictional west coast American city) in a country where mega-corporations prop up the government
    • No map gating based on story progress
  • Sequel to the pen and paper game designed by Mike Pondsmith in 1990
  • Primarily single player but has multiplayer
  • First person and third person
  • Advanced RPG mechanics based on pen and paper RPG system, upgraded to the 2077 setting
  • Gigantic arsenal of weapons, upgrades, implants and cool high-tech gadgets
  • Character creation
    • Choose your gender
    • Choose your appearance and clothing
    • Choose from different character classes
  • Non-linear character progression with cybernetic implant system
  • Non-linear, complex and mature story
    • Morally ambiguous choices
    • New dynamic conversation system
    • Rise to power story about someone who rises from a filthy gutter to stand against a hostile world.
    • Many factions
    • Type of character created, appearance and past actions influence quest options and outcomes
    • Set in a decadent and degenerate human society
  • Core theme is "style over substance"
  • Inspirations include System Shock, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Deus Ex and Skyrim
  • Cyberpunk 2077 will be a much larger game than The Witcher 3
  • CDPR wants Cyberpunk to be a franchise
  • The Witcher 3 composer is returning
  • CGI trailer graphics represent the target for the actual game
  • Cyberpunk 2077 began development in 2012 and will not be discussed before 2017

• Collection of links here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1196914
  • [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I'm honestly curious just how much people think CDPR's concept of Cyberpuk 2077 has changed in the wake of the Witcher 3's success. I've seen some people talk like they think CDPR isn't going to go the typical AAA RPG route (voiced protagonist and what not). Some people have even posted like they expect it to lean very much towards the hardcore side. This suprised me because I think the opposite. With TW3's success and CDPR's desire for rapid expansion and greater sales, I think CDPR will continue down the path W3 laid out. I don't expect to see stuff like needing to buy a translator to understand people anymore. I expect Mass Effect or Deus Ex style combat. I don't know if we'll still see classes in the game anymore. At most I think they'll be Mass Effect styled. They change your gameplay somewhat but have no impact on the story.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]What do you guys think? I'm genuiely intrigued at how much or how little you think their recent success and first time actual experience making open worlds will have changed things.[/FONT]

good info
but it's impossible that the game will look as good as the cgi trailer, we're gonna need 100 gtx 1080 sli to run it

all those characteristics will be in the final game, but it will not look as in the trailer that's for sure, i think it will be third person only like tw3, and the same graphics,
it will certainly not be as "mature and complex" as we think/hope , it will be simple, newcomers friendly, something similar to tw3 or tw2
i too expect a combat like mass effect, i don't know if there is going to be companions, i hope so

the trailer was less a game announcement than a "can we get some investment to do this game" announcement.

Games change constantly over the course of their development but i don't think by any means with will be a witcher 3 clone or indeed a hardcore PnP sim.

It's certainly using the same game engine as the witcher 3 because not using it would be a waste of effort, which means even in 2 more years the game should look amazing, nothing like the trailer, but amazing none the less.

I really hope it isn't bigger than the witcher 3 because having large parts of a city that are effectively empty will be well shit, so smaller, say just the size off velen or Toussaint would be ideal really.

CGI trailer graphics represent the target for the actual game
Hah, good one.
Maybe in an alternate reality where consoles aren't the lowest common denominator and there are only quantum computers around. Even Neo or Scorpio or whatever M$hit and Zany are coming up with next won't be able to render that cinematic graphical fidelity real-time and at full HD/60fps.

I don't expect to see stuff like needing to buy a translator to understand people anymore.
I do hope that this is still on the table. It's little things like that which would make CP2077 a truly unique and one-of-a-kind experience compared to the umpteenth iteration of Popamole Effect, Derp Age or Failout/Fallcraft.

Given the critical success of the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, an exclusively singleplayer title, I could see them drop the multiplayer functionality altogether. It's way easier to design and develop a singleplayer title anyway and more often than not also makes for an all around better game (and future cult classic) in the end.

With TW3's success and CDPR's desire for rapid expansion and greater sales, I think CDPR will continue down the path W3 laid out. I don't expect to see stuff like needing to buy a translator to understand people anymore. I expect Mass Effect or Deus Ex style combat. I don't know if we'll still see classes in the game anymore. At most I think they'll be Mass Effect styled. They change your gameplay somewhat but have no impact on the story.

I feel like people don't give enough credit to more "casual" players. fallout 4 is much more "accessible" than skyrim, but skyrim was already plenty "accessible". most of the "dumbing down" was (I think) poor decisions, not trying to appeal to more people. in a similar vein, you can make the game simpler by removing stuff like the translator, but it really isn't a tough concept to understand, so I'm not sure what you gain by it.
I can see the class/character progression system not being as complex as it could be, because that is something that can overwhelm a first time player. still, all you really need is clear explanations (and not too many options) and even my 10 year old brother could pick the right class for himself.
the part that has to be easy to use is controlling your character and combat. there are expectations towards a popular aaa game, so they can't really come out with an isometric perspective, or no real time combat.

other than that, I think most decisions come down to "is it worth it to implement?" and "is it actually fun?". the translator-thing could be cut, but I think the reason would be that it's a really expensive feature.

Given that CP2077 pretty much requires firearms I rather expect CP2077 to be first and third person capable. Of course the problem with this is that rarely do developers put as much time/effort into combat for both viewpoints so one usually works better then the other regardless of the players preferred gameplay style.

I'm honestly curious just how much people think CDPR's concept of Cyberpuk 2077 has changed in the wake of the Witcher 3's success. I've seen some people talk like they think CDPR isn't going to go the typical AAA RPG route (voiced protagonist and what not). Some people have even posted like they expect it to lean very much towards the hardcore side. This suprised me because I think the opposite. With TW3's success and CDPR's desire for rapid expansion and greater sales, I think CDPR will continue down the path W3 laid out. I don't expect to see stuff like needing to buy a translator to understand people anymore. I expect Mass Effect or Deus Ex style combat. I don't know if we'll still see classes in the game anymore. At most I think they'll be Mass Effect styled. They change your gameplay somewhat but have no impact on the story.
[/B]

Mike Pondsmith won't let CDPR do most of that and will ensure they keep 2077 true to it's roots and from getting to casual and crappy. Or he'll take his license and go find someone who will make the game he and 2020 fans want.

And linking to neogaf.... That place is so toxic it makes Night City look like Disney Land.

Unfortunately CDPR like they said has kept their lips shut, so we probably won't get anything until 2017 at the earliest for new info.

I do hope though they keep most of what they said, and at least Mike Pondsmith will keep them in check.XD

I hope not that much. All of that sounds rather cool. Custom character, open world, non liner advancement, Deus Ex influences and fallout influances, It's exactly what I want in a cyberpunk game. (Well except for classes, I would rater have a more open system.)

Mike Pondsmith won't let CDPR do most of that and will ensure they keep 2077 true to it's roots and from getting to casual and crappy. Or he'll take his license and go find someone who will make the game he and 2020 fans want.

I hate to tell you, but that's not how licensing works. When Sapkowski sold CDPR the rights to exclusively make games in the Witcher universe, it did not come with the caveat that he had to personally oversee and approve everything they did. Sapkowski largely had nothing to do with the video games, and while Pondsmith seems to be taking a more active role, he is still largely serving as a consultant. CDPR does not take orders from him, nor would I want them to. Pondsmith may have created Cyperbunk the pen-and-paper RPG, but he's not exactly a video game expert, and I wouldn't trust him with designing what is probably going to be the largest open world RPG in history.

Forum veteran
the largest open world RPG in history.
Bleh. I hope if anything changes, it's this. If Toussaint demonstrated anything, it's that a smaller open world can be more consistently fun to explore than any "our dad world is bigger than your dad world" type of affair. Felt so much tighter and less tedious even though you were basically doing the same kind of stuff as in the base game.

Bleh. I hope if anything changes, it's this. If Toussaint demonstrated anything, it's that a smaller open world can be more consistently fun to explore than any "our dad world is bigger than your dad world" type of affair. Felt so much tighter and less tedious even though you were basically doing the same kind of stuff as in the base game.

Indeed. That's also why Witchers 1 and 2 felt so much better design-wise than 3.

I didn't say "the largest open world in history in term of square footage," and neither did CDPR. That can be construed in a variety of ways, but it's clear that their goals are ambitious, and I think that's a good thing.

Indeed. That's also why Witchers 1 and 2 felt so much better design-wise than 3.

The previous games had their own share of problems. The Quick Time events in TW2 weren't exactly ground breaking in terms of innovation. At the end of the day it is a matter of personal taste. If you don't like open world games, that is fine, but arguing that one is "better" than the other is silly in my opinion.

I hate to tell you, but that's not how licensing works. When Sapkowski sold CDPR the rights to exclusively make games in the Witcher universe, it did not come with the caveat that he had to personally oversee and approve everything they did. Sapkowski largely had nothing to do with the video games, and while Pondsmith seems to be taking a more active role, he is still largely serving as a consultant. CDPR does not take orders from him, nor would I want them to. Pondsmith may have created Cyperbunk the pen-and-paper RPG, but he's not exactly a video game expert, and I wouldn't trust him with designing what is probably going to be the largest open world RPG in history.
Actually Mike worked for years making video games.

"As a design manager at Microsoft, he contributed to various games ... MechCommander 2 ... Stormfront Studios' Blood Wake ... Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge. In 2004 he left Microsoft to join Monolith Productions where he worked on The Matrix Online ..."

Last edited:
I doubt very much they're making the largest game ever in terms of square footage. Daggerfall's world was twice the size of the UK, and pretty much empty. No way they'd want to go that route.

Actually Mike worked for years making video games.

"As a design manager at Microsoft, he contributed to various games ... MechCommander 2 ... Stormfront Studios' Blood Wake ... Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge. In 2004 he left Microsoft to join Monolith Productions where he worked on The Matrix Online ..."

Yeesh, that just adds support to what I said above.

The previous games had their own share of problems.

They sure had and some of those are still present in Witcher 3 (like the weakish character system). But they also were less scattered and disjointed with far far less glaringly samey filler content to inflate the game and fill the void and crossing of the more or less empty terrain between the "interesting spots". It's alright to be OK with it and like it, but at the end of the day that's how the game is and CDPR would be wise to have a critical eye over how things really worked even if they might've served what W3 set out to accomplish.

arguing that one is "better" than the other is silly in my opinion

That's true of course, but then... If the statement is clearly a matter of taste, it's of course an opinion and that's the end of it. If, however, there's a concrete and productive point to discuss (e.g. why and to what end something might or might not be better than something else), then that's where it should go. The way I see it, stating that "That's just your opinion, man" or "It's a matter of taste so basically everybody's right" serves little more point than blocking off further discussion. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom