How much of the CP 2020 PnP should be in the game?

+
How much of the CP 2020 PnP should be in the game?

Mike Pondsmith and all of the contributors to the body of work that is CP2020 created some really incredible stuff for it's day and, in my humble opinion, it wouldn't be Cyberpunk without it. I know, inevitably, SOMEONE is going to bring up the fact that "The game is dated", "They didn't have a logical rationale for this, that or the other thing."etc. I think, even though some of the arguments are valid ones, the PNP game also brings a lot to the table and should be used accordingly. What say you?

I'd say CDPR looks to inspiration but isn't going to limit itself unnecessarily. I would assume adapting a PnP would be light-years easier than adapting a book series.
Be kind of nice if the PnP was available digitally though, hard to know with only paper available.

Lots!

We've had this discussion before and I am firmly on side with As Much As Possible That Is Still Fun In Vidya-game World.

Mostly hoping for the static-HP, level-less charcters, nasty, gritty combat system and open skills method.

Yeah, as much as possible -- mechanically speaking, the setting seems to be moving on. And where there's a need to deviate for computer environment, the direction and intent should still be clearly in the same alley with the source.

I am also of the opinion that as much as possible should be in.

This comes from that when it comes to videogame rpg's, the types of gameplay mechanics that I enjoy the most, are the ones that are very close to pen and paper rpg's. I do like other styles to, like the action rpg style (which I would for the most part say is sort of opposit to what pnp rpg mechanics are, partly depends on which ARPG it is your talking about as well)... but if I got/had to choice what I prefer and think is the most fun in gameplay mechanics, it would be the gameplay mechanics which are very close to pen and paper RPG gameplay types of mechanics.

Any videogame RPG that I have played since late 1995 (I started playing videogames on Christmas 1989, when we got a NES... and 1995 was when I for the first time encounted this phenomanon called "pen and paper RPG's, did not even know pnp rpg's existed befor this, and I was 16 at the time, so found it fairly "late" in life... XD )... anyway... ever since then, 1995, one "scoring" aspect of videogame RPG's for my rating of them is the part about how close to pen and paper rpg's they feel. So the more a videogame feels like an pnp rpg the higher bonus point they get when it comes to my score/rating of the game (other scoring aspects like this would be for example, story, graphics, how well made the game is in general, the characters, and some several other things).

Videogames which felt like pen and paper rpg's was the reason that I eventually became a PC gamer to begin with (I had been mainly a console gamer from 1989), and the games which finally started to turn me more and more into becoming a PC gamer was Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics as well, which where games that I first found somewhere around 2000-2001'ish (although... even UFO: Enemy Unknown, which I had encountered in 1996 because a friend had a pc and the game, did also help a bit... it was due to the rpg gameplay mechanics of combat in UFO, and how your soldiers could get better at what they did... this is partly why I love the reimagined X-Com games, XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within and XCOM 2 as well, as much as I do... due to those aspects of combat and your soldiers getting better at what they do)... 2003 is the year I consider my self to having become mainly a PC gamer, because that was the year I finally was able to buy my own computer.

Due to these things, as I said above, I am of the opinion that I would like as much as possible of the PnP RPG of Cyberpunk 2020 to be in the videogame Cyberpunk 2077.

If CP2077 ends up being more like Witcher, an action rpg, a game which I do consider to be "RPG-lite" (I consider almost all ARPG's to be "RPG-lites"), due to the huge lack of a deeper pnp rpg gameplay type of mechanics... I will probably still like it a lot and socre it very highly (a lot of ARPG's does score very high for me vs games in general after all)... and I will probably play the games for several hundreds of hours... but I would still think it was a shame that the game did not get rpg gameplay mechanics that where closer to pen and paper rpg's.

It ought to be as faithful as possible regarding lore, milieu of the game, and many of the mechanics (skill points, roles, life path, etc). Some changes will be necessary, but adapting the PnP to aRPG is preferable IMO to reinventing the wheel. The source material is too good to ignore. Considering Pondsmith is directly involved, I'm not too worried about it.

I tend to agree, as much as possible. With necessary modifications to turn it into a video game.

Top Bottom