How often do you Crash to Desktop (CtD)?

+
hi,i can't find the file errlog.txt in that folder. it ussually gets back to windows saying it is trying to find a solution (it basiclly sends to microsoft)perhaps i can copy/paste that kind of information here. if the game crashes again, i will put a copy/paste here.it is possible there is a memory leak in the game ::)am now in chapter 4 at lake side :)

pervish said:
hi,i can't find the file errlog.txt in that folder. it ussually gets back to windows saying it is trying to find a solution (it basiclly sends to microsoft)perhaps i can copy/paste that kind of information here. if the game crashes again, i will put a copy/paste here.
make a TEXT file and ATTACH it, don't paste here

yep it crashed again ;D after 3 hours i think.happend after I switched location from town to lakeside. i was going to give my letter to the fisherman.no errlog.txt here, only a windows error. please check attachment.thanks, hope something comes interesting about the error.

pervish said:
yep it crashed again ;D after 3 hours i think.happend after I switched location from town to lakeside. i was going to give my letter to the fisherman.no errlog.txt here, only a windows error. please check attachment.thanks, hope something comes interesting about the error.
this is the smaller report :(i think there should be a bigger one somewhere

I only had three crashes in EE. All three were during combat when using Strong Steel, just at the point when my steel sword was about to connect with my opponent's head to kill him. Something to wonder about...

Hmmm the game didn't crash today. I am doing quests in the field. (chap 4)However my map went black again with only red dots. I quick saved immediatly because i wanted to enter the hermit's hut.BUT the game didn't crash!So entering huts didn't make the game crash. (maybe less memory usage, or already cached by game) Perhaps this occurs only changing map location.When I was outside the hut, the map was still black. I wanted to quit the game and quick load again.This time I wanted to test something... I did a quick load on my last save , without restarting the game in windows. After I quick loaded the game, i checked my map.It was normal again :eek: sweeeet. I then changed location from the fields to the town. It worked! Then I walked to the fields again, the game didn't crashed.Even the map was still normal.Maybe a workaround? Im not sure other people can try this to? Anyway off to play again :D

HiI'm very new to the game, and bought the EE edition, but within only several hours of play (only now up to near end of chapter I) I had three crashes. Two from save/autosave and one from alt-tabing (although this can mess games up so not counting that one really)I reinstalled completely without any anti-virus running. When I uninstalled it asked if I wished to save my save games file, which I did. I examined the save game files that reside in My Documents and saw I had six THEWITCHERSAVE files (although I only had the option of loading five in the menu ingame) and one folder. The folder was created at the same time my game crashed for the second time and is named in a similar fashion as to the THEWITCHERSAVE files but is obviously a folder and not a game save file. It looks like the game has tried to create a game save file but somehow has failed (maybe because there are too many save files already) and created this folder, which I believe is the source of the crashing. Looking into the folder you can see data in reference to quests, formulas, monsters known, etc.I deleted every file in my saves folder (including the rogue folder) apart from my latest THEWITCHERSAVE file and reinstalled. I disabled autosave from the relative menu and proceeded to load my remaining save game - no problems. When playing now I use no more than three saves, deleting the oldest from the menu before I save a new one, and since then I have had no saving crashes whatsoever. Quicksave works fine and as long as you manage your saves to a limit of three (it may work with more but I'm sticking to this figure atm) it hopefully will work for you. I'm off the opinion that the coding for the creation of game saves is corrupt somewhere and can cause crashes to desk top when it fails to create the correct file type.Hope this works for you. :)As an edition - uninstall Punkbuster, if on your machine, before you reinstall the game.

sharrow said:
I deleted every file in my saves folder (including the rogue folder) apart from my latest THEWITCHERSAVE file and reinstalled. I disabled autosave from the relative menu and proceeded to load my remaining save game - no problems. When playing now I use no more than three saves, deleting the oldest from the menu before I save a new one, and since then I have had no saving crashes whatsoever. Quicksave works fine and as long as you manage your saves to a limit of three (it may work with more but I'm sticking to this figure atm) it hopefully will work for you. I'm off the opinion that the coding for the creation of game saves is corrupt somewhere and can cause crashes to desk top when it fails to create the correct file type.
this is the IFO fix from the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0if the game crashed, some leftover files are left there and it will cause problems later PunkBuster has nothing to do with The Witcher

Since the beginning of ACT IV, I've been crashing like crazy. Especially when the map change or the cut scene

frostshoxx said:
Since the beginning of ACT IV, I've been crashing like crazy. Especially when the map change or the cut scene
do attach ( not paste in a post ) the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder

Hi,I've been experience crashing in the Witcher that I just can't get past anymore. The game was fine -- never crashed once, until I got into Vizima, just past the sewers. The game then crashed shortly after getting into town. It was an nvidia driver error. I thought it might be because of my vid card overclock, so I turned it down. The thing was, it was never very hot (50 C tops), and it wasn't being challenged very much either (the card was having more difficulty in Vizima Outskirts, sometimes get as low as 25 fps... framerate was very high inside Vizima though).I reloaded, and this time I was able to make it into the detectives house. However, the following cutscene outside now causes a crash evertime. Right after the cutscene ends, and the thugs start attacking, if I look to the left too much the game crashes. It's all about if I look to the left to much, crashes every time.I have the video card back to stock settings, and it still crashes. Every time the game crashes Vista says the display driver has recovered, same error every time. One time the whole system froze and I had to reset the computer. But every other time I'm able to get back to the desktop. I'm not so convinced it's a video card error anymore.I've been playing the whole time on the 180.60 NVIDIA drivers, like I said, it's been flawless up to this point, and now I can't progress any further...

hannedog said:
Hi,I reloaded, and this time I was able to make it into the detectives house. However, the following cutscene outside now causes a crash evertime. Right after the cutscene ends, and the thugs start attacking, if I look to the left too much the game crashes. It's all about if I look to the left to much, crashes every time.I have the video card back to stock settings, and it still crashes. Every time the game crashes Vista says the display driver has recovered, same error every time. One time the whole system froze and I had to reset the computer. But every other time I'm able to get back to the desktop. I'm not so convinced it's a video card error anymore.I've been playing the whole time on the 180.60 NVIDIA drivers, like I said, it's been flawless up to this point, and now I can't progress any further...
read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 ( Vista tips: UAC/run as Admin/etc )the latest stable drivers for you are 180.48also, try while not running EVGA Precision

Crazy developments: :eek: First off, I've read the FAQ, and tried many of the things (compatibility mode for xp sp2, I run in admin, etc.... interesting, changing the exe so that it "runs in Admin mode" causes the game to not even load period... freezes on video). Nothing had an effect.And even though the error log I sent you might have indicated I was using EVGA precision, the log must have been outdated or something because I had already turned it off and went back to factory clocks by the time I wrote here. But, it's definitely not an overclocking-related problem (I can run Crysis on high/very high settings with the OC, causes the game to chug at points, but no stability problems).I COULD'VE tried rolled back the drivers, and I would've, had I not made the discovery I just made. Perhaps the 180.60 drivers are at fault, but, whatever the case, it's really weird (I really didn't want to give up on 180.60 because they made a big performance boost in general, especially for Crysis). You see, I noticed that in my testing after the cutscene, the game's crashing was dependent more or less on how much was on screen. Since, if you look to the left more, there's more bandits, this causes the game to crash. If you run to the right and keep your view off to the right, you'll be fine. Doing a 180 turn (f key) will surely cause the game to crash every time. So, the likelihood of a crash seemed to be related to how much was going on onscreen. Also, I found very interesting how the game would crash. Typically, the colors would get all weird, the clothing of the models would be removed (so, that it would just be a bunch of blank-skinned models running around), things would flash in and out, lots of weird neon green stuff... anyway, it was like stuff wasn't being read into the vRAM properly. Hitting escape to go to the menu before the game crashed would generally prevent it from crashing, however the textures/colors were all still messed up, and often you couldn't see anything on the menu. Going back to the game would be a certain crash, however, if I was able to select "quit" (by randomily guessing where my mouse pointer was), and go back to the main menu, everything was fine with the game. So, based on these observations, I decided to play around with the graphical settings. The results were most interesting...I ended up finding out that having the grass quality set to "high" was the culprit of the crashing. Very odd and peculiar. If I had every setting turned to max, but grass set to medium, the game was perfectly stable, and no more crashing would occur. However, even if I had every single setting set to the absolute lowest possible setting, but had grass set to high, the game would crash! Now how odd is that? I guess it's possible the driver is the culprit, but, more likely it seems like a corrupted texture of some sort that's causing the game to become unstable. Now, if it's something related to a texture or data for the high quality grass, would such a texture have been created by a bad install? Or perhaps there is a real bug/flaw in the game? I had been playing the game up to this point, as I said, crash free, and with all settings on the max quality. Perhaps someone will find this info useful. Either way, I guess I can continue playing now... I will periodically try putting high quality grass back on and see if it still causes crashes anymore.

For me, crashes were always there. The 1.3 patch significantly reduced the number of crashes (with help from Vista SP1), but it got back to be just as bad as it was before with the EE. At first I played a couple of hours with no crash, but now, somewhere in the middle of act one (maybe close to its end actually), it crashes VERY often. Perhaps every half hour to one hour, maybe even less. And I thought those frustrating times were over. I actually don't know why it crashes, but im sure that all those tweaks that the guys at CDPR put on this old, really old, NWN1 engine have something to do with it. Not that I really now much about this stuff.I don't think CDPR will really take this matter and try to fix it. I think we just need to find methods of our own to at least make the game playable, I remember there were some fixes back then, I just cant find them on the forums now.Still, thou, I do hope CDPR will do something about it.E67508800GTS 640MB Vista 32bit2g ramHigest settings in game except for AA which is on 2 (not 4), res is 1680 * 1050.

Nsis said:
For me, crashes were always there. The 1.3 patch significantly reduced the number of crashes (with help from Vista SP1), but it got back to be just as bad as it was before with the EE. At first I played a couple of hours with no crash, but now, somewhere in the middle of act one (maybe close to its end actually), it crashes VERY often. Perhaps every half hour to one hour, maybe even less. And I thought those frustrating times were over. I actually don't know why it crashes, but im sure that all those tweaks that the guys at CDPR put on this old, really old, NWN1 engine have something to do with it. Not that I really now much about this stuff.I don't think CDPR will really take this matter and try to fix it. I think we just need to find methods of our own to at least make the game playable, I remember there were some fixes back then, I just cant find them on the forums now.Still, thou, I do hope CDPR will do something about it.E67508800GTS 640MB Vista 32bit2g ramHigest settings in game except for AA which is on 2 (not 4), res is 1680 * 1050.
did you try the Vista tips mentioned in the FAQ? ( it's linked in my signature )

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
did you try the Vista tips mentioned in the FAQ? ( it's linked in my signature )
Everything except for running under compability because it didn't change much when I tired at patch 1.2\ 1.1, but I will try now, have nothing to lose. I hope it wont crash as badly as it started to crash lately.

Sharkishi said:
Well I got all the way to the striga's crypt when it gets to morning i crash everytime.
read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder

It looks like my problem is solved. I did 2 things, the first is I fragmented my hard disks, and the second is running the game from XP SP2 compatibility mode. Didn't have a single crash so far, and I hope that it will continue so. Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom