How should manual healing/health regeneration work?

+

How should the health system work?

• Total voters
Health regen + 3hour for a full walkthrough + kill streak.

Or just you're hurt, you'll have to wait days to regen.
Unless hospital, and trauma team if you're hurt too badly.
I've supposedly saw health regen in Cyberpunk's demo, and I frankly hope it was only for the demo purpose...

Just like the idea of an implant to regen your health...
It's not "Heavy Metal" or some anime, it's hard Sf, you need to keep it grounded in reality.
Even if we'd stretch it a bit too far, it would mean that basicaly ANYONE (you're V a nobody, no reason you'd have access to something other people can't) could have a full health regen.
Weren't you complaining about bullet sponge?

There's no problem with dying.
If the game is lethal and you have to force your path through it to survive, so be it.
I've spent some days over some bosses, no reason it wouldn't be the same here.

I'm ok with "casualing" the world so it seems less complex for a newbie in the cyberpunk setting, but don't turn it into a cheap action game...

I mean, just do a solo + subdermal plates, weaved skin and a corporate guns with armored bullets, add some health regen in the mix and it's just Serious Sam 2077....

The multiplayer is gonna be soooo much fun...

As said before, in 2020, the guns were like the nuclear weapons during the cold war, a way to tell "don't fuck with me", here it seems it's been adapted to turn it into a brainless action game...
We'll see how it works when released but I think you'd need to be no more healthier than any NPC, it's about the thrill, not hunting trophy...

Imagine Aliens (2), but give ripley and the marine health regen....
Fun right? (No it's not)

" cyberpunk won't be an rpg for everyone" they said, so I kinda hope they sticked to their own motto.

But they also said "don't believe the leaks from the hack, only CDPR offical statements counts" but they keep saying the opposite of what they told us one week ago. Not said as a rant, but it's a mess to follow were they want to go with this game.

Beside art direction and secondary stuff like that, I still don't know how much of 2020 is in there....
As said, no words on gadgets, no word on how deep the augments system works, cyberpsychosis, etc...
No words on lethality either.

Sure, the game is still in development, but it's supposed to ship in less than a year, most of the game is supposedly finish (they won't remake everything now...), they even already sell it (pre orders, etc ..) but we don't know how much of cyberpunk 2020 is there, sure the cosmetic part is there, but how about the mecanics?
They either tells us "yes" then "no" then "maybe", so you can't figure really what's there, and even during the demo they hide the core flesh of it (dynamic dialogs, how confrontations works etc...).

That's what made me gave up the hype train on it, it feels like it won't be a game for 2020veterans (which was intended at first) but switched toward " we'll touch way more people than with the witcher with it", which is good for business, but not so good for an "artistic" direction.

No need for a 1:1 adaptation, but 2077 looks way too confortable to play in.
You'd never even think about fuckin' a whole gang by yourself in 2020, you'd be dead in the second...
Here we saw basicaly V screwing two big gangs, not giving a fuck.

Can't wait to see his bum ass handling some high advanced corpo-ninjas with his low ass street upgrades...👌

The few we saw, V were clearly in control, where he shouldn't (like removing his hands from placid's...

So you can't tell a corpo woman to fuck off, but a gang dude, the most powerful in the shitiest part of Night City will be "excuse me" and wipe your ass if you think he's gone too far (when in fact you'd just ends as sausage meat for heap hot dogs...). That's power-player stuff

Last edited:
Just like the idea of an implant to regen your health...
It's not "Heavy Metal" or some anime, it's hard Sf, you need to keep it grounded in reality.

Then no metal limbs, no super strength from the replacement limbs, no built in weapons and on and on. most of it can't be done for really simple reasons, like you can power these things but you would need to haul around a 200kg battery to power them.

Alright, let me try and put this in as logical a manner as I can. First, if we are wanting to be at least somewhat realistic, the body DOES heal damage naturally...somewhat and depending on the SEVERITY of the wounds in question. If you get into a bar fight and, provided you didn't take any major attacks to the throat/ vitals, you should heal up naturally in a few days provided you get a reasonable amount of rest. It's when you take serious trauma, that things become a little dicey. Could you recover from a gunshot wound .It's possible, I suppose (provided you didn't sustain any major organ/arterial damage), but I certainly wouldn't advise it. This being cyberpunk (and if it is based off of the pnp), you should have ACCESS to healing nanites and drugs that can speed up the healing process, but this is balanced by the fact that such drugs/tech is very rarely available outside of hospitals/Trauma Team care in SHOULD BE very expensive. So HOW should the system work in MY opinion? If the character invests in healing nanites, increased natural healing should be available (basically, doubling the character's natural healing rate). If the character does not, serious trauma will heal, but at a painfully slow rate and to almost nothing if serious bedrest isn't taken.

Then no metal limbs, no super strength from the replacement limbs, no built in weapons and on and on. most of it can't be done for really simple reasons, like you can power these things but you would need to haul around a 200kg battery to power them.

It's stated that arm replacements (as example) are just prothesis even if the arm can hold a car in air, you body won't be able to, so it's improbable (not impossible).

But, it doesn't hurt the whole world. Av aren't realistic but same, it doesn't hurt the world.
Now some immortality chip, that sounds off, way "too much".
Being imortal would make the game a shoot em up.

That's my gripe, CDPR made a really cool design but I still wait to see how the " urban" vibes comes from it.

In reality (like Cp2020), you're walking home it's 3am, some lunatic comes from nowhere screaming at you, you'll try to avoid him. You don't know, he maybe has a knife or something like that.

In a "health regen" setting, why would you bother "fear" or humanize him? Just blast him off, he's a random mob.
That's a part of the "danger" which could kill some parts like Pacifica, if it's the worst part of NC, you'd need to be very careful when you go there, not just "if they piss me off, I'll smoke them"

In a "health regen" setting, why would you bother "fear" or humanize him? Just blast him off, he's a random mob.
That's a part of the "danger" which could kill some parts like Pacifica, if it's the worst part of NC, you'd need to be very careful when you go there, not just "if they piss me off, I'll smoke them"
This is a HUGE part of what I see as a problem CP2077 has.
Between health regen and apparently the immortality chip the world isn't dangerous. That ever present sense of danger, weighing risks vs rewards, is a central tenant of Cyperpunk 2020 that's totally missing in 2077.

This is a HUGE part of what I see as a problem CP2077 has.
Between health regen and apparently the immortality chip the world isn't dangerous. That ever present sense of danger, weighing risks vs rewards, is a central tenant of Cyperpunk 2020 that's totally missing in 2077.

Exactly, the first thing you tell to your player in 2020 is "don't overplay it, it's the real world with real bullets, don't do stuff you wouldn't do in real life", like openly agressing police, being agressive with the crowd, etc...

In Cyberpunk 2077, they showed a beautiful world, but I never felt in danger, even the maelstorm, you didn't had 10dudes with their aim on your forehead " just in case" when it should be a common procedure for business (meaning "you're in my world, I make the rules here"), you sure have choice as a player, but as in real life, some choice would imply direct and lethal consequences, which feels way less meaning full from what they showed (and again, I rant, but it's only over what they decided to show us when compared to the original material).

Just like when they presented Pacifica, they said " it's a dangerous place" showing some scripted dude shooting on a Av (that we can't drive, so we don't care...), I'd presented it with a short gameplay sequence of a random dude trying to piss off V, with some different choices or just a drugged homeless dude attacking him, what we saw from Pacifica didn't looked that scary, it looked dirty but that's it.

Something innovative would be appreciated, but if they give me a classic medikit/spray/inhaler with animation for "manual regen" View attachment 11015012

and cyberware (IE nanomachines) for automatic regen I'm happy. No magic bullshit that happens "just because", it needs explaination that makes sense lore-wise and logic-wise.
just to make it clear: I don't want COD regen (3 seconds and you're in full health), but if some high-end cyberware allows to get 1%HP/s (= 99 seconds from almost dead to full health) it would be optimal, since it doesn't let player break the game hiding for 3 seconds and be ready to start again and at the same time give the player the option to have regen. Of course it needs to have an high cost, that's why I want it to be cyberware.

just to make it clear: I don't want COD regen (3 seconds and you're in full health), but if some high-end cyberware allows to get 1%HP/s (= 99 seconds from almost dead to full health) it would be optimal, since it doesn't let player break the game hiding for 3 seconds and be ready to start again and at the same time give the player the option to have regen. Of course it needs to have an high cost, that's why I want it to be cyberware.

It's also in the original material, but it works with nanorobots, enhancing your regen.
Now, instead of a week it'll take you three days.
The point is there isn't any "get hit, hide for 5mn and get back into the fire"
If you're hit, you either lose some reflexes, either are too badly wounded you nees to be evacuated (by trauma team or your friends), it's all a mecanic behind it, your health is precious.

Also, if you fuck up, and get there 3day later, expect them to be way better prepared, so it's about doing it good in one shot, which adds a lot more pressure on you.

From what we were shown, it doesn't really matters, heck you even run in front of a .50 turret shooting at you...

Either full manual or similar to Death March in Witcher 3 (regen 1/s so it's noticeable in the early game but worthless later on).

Passive health regen is an overused mechanic IMO. While manual adds a lot of difficulty it also prevents the "I'll just stand in this corner to heal, then attack again" cheap cheese strategy (which I won't deny using but I still thinks it's silly).

Plenty of manual healing options and I'd be all set. I voted for "a mix of both", though, because like I said I like DM in that regard.
A tiny bit of automatic regen won't carry one through the game or even a single battle -- unless one is very good at not taking damage. :p

(Another thing: manual healing shouldn't be of the "eat 1437593798 cabbages for full health" spammy kind. Witcher 3's system is good in this regard as well, with the heal-over-time effects and no stacking 10 waters' effects.)
Wait... I didn't realize there was ANY health regen at all in DM, even 1/s. Interesting.

It's also in the original material, but it works with nanorobots, enhancing your regen.
Now, instead of a week it'll take you three days.
The point is there isn't any "get hit, hide for 5mn and get back into the fire"
If you're hit, you either lose some reflexes, either are too badly wounded you nees to be evacuated (by trauma team or your friends), it's all a mecanic behind it, your health is precious.

Also, if you fuck up, and get there 3day later, expect them to be way better prepared, so it's about doing it good in one shot, which adds a lot more pressure on you.

From what we were shown, it doesn't really matters, heck you even run in front of a .50 turret shooting at you...
I see what you're saying, but videogames have a limit, they can't calculate everything like in a table top RPG. You can't leave a mission and come back later and expect the game to react to it. Actually, you can, potentially, as seen with the nemesis system in the last 2 lord of the rings games, but I think this would collide with the story driven concept. Also, CDPR should have made its own nemesis system, which doesn't sound like an easy job.

I agree that fighting should be dangerous though.

Note the ^^ at the end of my post...
I was referring to snowflakez comment, not yours. I understood you were being sarcastic.

I picked mix of both bc I think they should do it the way assassins creed syndicate does it (that game was overall mediocre but the health system I actually quite liked) you regenerate health automatically while out of combat, but you need a health kit to regenerate health while in combat.

I see what you're saying, but videogames have a limit, they can't calculate everything like in a table top RPG. You can't leave a mission and come back later and expect the game to react to it. Actually, you can, potentially, as seen with the nemesis system in the last 2 lord of the rings games, but I think this would collide with the story driven concept. Also, CDPR should have made its own nemesis system, which doesn't sound like an easy job.

I agree that fighting should be dangerous though.

Then we agree, I can live without a perfect translation of it, but it has to feel like you're risking your life, feeling dangerous.

Top Bottom