How should stamina work?

+
I've heard little to no information on how stamina will effect gameplay, I also haven't seen any indication of a stamina meter on screen. The Witcher 3s stamina system was pretty lackluster, it was pretty much just a magic bar. When used for running, it would recover so quickly, I wonder why cdpr even considered making it effect Geralts running distance. Why not just let him run forever? Or they should've at least put better emphasis on stamina outside of combat, to make limiting running distance justifiable.

What do you think cdpr should do to make stamina better both inside & outside of combat?

Hey,
cool question :) I think that pretty much anything.

It could not recover (so quickly) unless the characters "rests", however implemented.
As there are those learn-by-doing mechanics in CP, your stamina/dexterity/whatever could just get better.
You could use consumables, as there were some drink machines around the city.
You could buy an implant, use some drug or anything...
Also, equipping lighter clothes and such could decrease stamina consumption.

In Witcher 3 stamina also affected the special sword attacks (Whirl and Rend).

Personally, I don't like systems that rely super heavily on stamina, at least in combat; it tends to get tedious quickly. That being said, stamina could be used for various things -- but running out of stamina should not incapacitate V to any major extent because that is just plain frustrating unless it can be negated with some skill/perk/augment.

Sprinting should use stamina, and it should indeed recover much more slowly than in Witcher 3. Although that's another thing that could maybe be possible to negate; an augmented human could have the same insane stamina regen as a mutated one.

Also, equipping lighter clothes and such could decrease stamina consumption.
Agreed. This would only make sense. Heavier cyberware could have more of an effect on stamina as well.

We still don't even know FOR SURE, how the health system work.
"Wait 'till release" they says.

Agreed. This would only make sense. Heavier cyberware could have more of an effect on stamina as well.

Why? If anything, having more heavy duty cyberware makes stamina obsolete. Cybernetic limbs aren't going to be fueled by oxygen from your blood, they will probably have batteries or some kind of advanced fuel cell. They should keep working at peak capacity right up until they no longer have the power to function. Same for cybernetic organs. Also, anything you replace is just one less thing draining your oxygen supply, leaving more for your weak organic parts.

I guess it could be governed by athletics though I don't remember seeing anything resembling stamina in the videos.

If they do have I hope it won't be too limiting, making it do you have to choose actions carefully to not tire yourself is fine but being drained after 3 swings or sprinting 10 feet would get old quick.

Last edited:
Stamina doesn't sound very Cyberpunkish to me. Sure it was a right choice for Witcher, back in the days, you needed to have muscles in order to use two-handed sword and such effectively. Stats like Reflexes and Cool sounds like Combat Stats to me.

Cool gives kinda nice twist in combat design, imho. If you crap in your pants, you go down. Slow motion anyone? Reflexes mattters how fast you can go into it.

Would it be fun if the game rewarded if you aimed well? That's Cool to me. Bad player hits torso and arms, good players hits the nose, eyes and heart etc.

Last edited:
I hope CP77 has no stamina at all. I hate so much when I can't run forever (except for soulslike games, there it makes sense).

Cyberpunk 2077 Core Stats. I cant understand why they added Body Stat. Bigger is better in Cyberpunk?

Cool

This index measures how well the character stands up to stress, fear, pressure, physical pain and/or torture. In determining your willingness to fight on despite wounds or your fighting ability under fire, Coo/(CL) is essential. It is also the measure of how "together" your character is and how tough he appears to others.
Cool also appears to determine your ability to engage in stealth work, and can govern your strength in assassinations - both near and far.

If anything there is gonna be "Cool" instead of "Stamina". Somekind of "Nerves" System would be fun twist too in combat. You very rarely see in games player losing its nerves etc, yeah, you would need to keep it cool so to speak.

Last edited:
If anything there is gonna be "Cool" instead of "Stamina". Somekind of "Nerves" System would be fun twist too in combat. You very rarely see in games player losing its nerves etc, yeah, you would need to keep it cool so to speak.

I love the idea of a nerves system as an alternative to stamina. I'm generally fine with stamina during combat and other intense situations where timing matters, but I despise dealing with it when I'm just running around exploring. Nerves seems like something that could neatly sidestep that problem while being engaging where it counts.

I think stamina should have a small (and big where called for) effect on everything, not just measuring sprint distance or how many times you can jump/dash/slide.

Like,
- combat focus (accuracy, vision distortions) in combat
- Stress, i.e. Cool stat might dictate how fast stamina drains during combat (regardless of if you are doing anything at the moment) or other stressful situation,
- Penalties on skillchecks (minigames like hacking included) if doing them while tired,

Or there could be a ”stress” gauge that does those things that is governed partly by stamina, while stanina itself only measures exhaustion.

Something like that. More to it mechanically than sprinting or such, anyway.

I love the idea of a nerves system as an alternative to stamina. I'm generally fine with stamina during combat and other intense situations where timing matters, but I despise dealing with it when I'm just running around exploring. Nerves seems like something that could neatly sidestep that problem while being engaging where it counts.

I think its nice idea too. If CDPR isnt gonna do it, hopefully someone is, but it would totally fit to Cyberpunk, you need to stay cool.

Last edited:
Interesting question
I'd like to see any CP stamina-based system run off both Body and Cool. Use Body as the physical part and Cool as the mental. Maybe your Body gives you a 'pool' of stamina points that, once used up, require an (increasingly difficult) Cool roll to keep you going. Kinda a 'mind over matter' mechanic. Clearly drugs or cyber can increase your stamina by either increasing the pool, it's 'recovery rate' and/or reduce the Cool roll... or maybe all three if you have enough eddies.

It seems like its going to be like Deus Ex where you put a point into a skill or a stat or whatever and you get to jump higher or lift heavier objects. Which makes sense to me rather than having the old TES system of spamming jump until your stamina went up.

Top Bottom