How Tall?

+
How Tall?

How tall do you imagine the characters from the witcher series? Here are my thoughts based on the books reading.

Geralt: 5'10" (178cm)
Ciri : 5'9" (175cm)
Dijikstra: 7' (213cm)
Bonhart: 6'5" (196cm)
Yennefer:5'5" (165cm)
Triss: 5'6" (168cm)
Milva:5'7" (170cm)
Cahir: 6'1" (185cm)
Jaskier / Dandelion:5'9" (175cm)
Francesca Findabair :5'11" (180cm)
Vilgefortz: 6' (183cm)

What do you think?

I agree with all except Geralt, from what I remember from the books he was described as a bit taller than usual, so 188cms is a safe bet

I can’t remember from the books any remarks about Geralt's great height, there is lots of talk about his fitness, reflexes, intimidating stare and not so good looking face. I thought 5’10” is about right because it’s good above average point from a medieval/renaissance world point of view.

I imagine all ladies except Francesca at least 5 cm shorter. 10cm in case of Ciri

I know for a fact that Ciri is a tall girl with a slender body. I remember reading her estimated height (5'9") from a interaction with bonhart.

Off the top of my head about Geralt's height - Blood of Elves (page 304, Orbit publication):

[Myhrman] could not move because his chest was being heavily and mercilessly crushed by a high boot fastened with buckles. The old fraud, squinting and wrinkling up his face, looked up. The boot belonged to a tall man with hair as white as milk.
It's not specific, but at the least he's above average. I think there was another part in the later books where he was referred to as tall, but I didn't save the reference.

Geralt ain't no manlet. He's like 190cm

Any quote from the books to support this claim or its just your picture of him?

As I said, 178cm is above average for a medieval era. 178cm is Today's average height for a man in US.
In middle age the average was around 173cm and in victorian era was 168cm.

Any quote from the books to support this claim or its just your picture of him?

As I said, 178cm is above average for a medieval era. 178cm is Today's average height for a man in US.
In middle age the average was around 173cm and in victorian era was 168cm.

My vision about him, not backed by sources.

My guess:
Yennefer: 165
Ciri: 174
Geralt: 191
Triss: 170
Francesca: 180

few notes from books:
Yennefer: not very tall (even in high shoes)
Ciri: tall
Geralt: tall
Korin: tall
Renfri: tall
Tissaia, Marguaritta: tall
Vilgefortz: tall

Last edited:
I agree with all except Geralt, from what I remember from the books he was described as a bit taller than usual, so 188cms is a safe bet

That' s the thing about descriptions - perspectives of height differ from country to country. A bit taller than usual in the place where I live is closer to 195. I' m 196 and not considered really tall.

All in all, I thing Geralt is taller than 188, he should be above 192cm
I imagined Francesca as a taller woman, around 180.
Bonhart in my imaginatio was huge - over 210

Last edited:
How tall do you imagine the characters from the witcher series? Here are my thoughts based on the books reading.

Geralt: 5'10" (178cm)
Ciri : 5'9" (175cm)
Dijikstra: 7' (213cm)
Bonhart: 6'5" (196cm)
Yennefer:5'5" (165cm)
Triss: 5'6" (168cm)
Milva:5'7" (170cm)
Cahir: 6'1" (185cm)
Jaskier / Dandelion:5'9" (175cm)
Francesca Findabair :5'11" (180cm)
Vilgefortz: 6' (183cm)

What do you think?

Works for me, but Yen is a little bit shorter IMO. Also I can't recall Francesca being specifically described as tall (180 I guess is still quite above average for an elven female).
Could anyone post a quote from a book where she is described as such?

That' s the thing about descriptions - perspectives of height differ from country to country. A bit taller than usual in the place where I live is closer to 195. I' m 196 and not considered really tall.

Well, with 196cm you are realy tall everywere, you are at the top 1%.

Netherlands is the country with the tallest male average height: 183cm. If we took into account the whole world to make a human species male average, this number would probably drop about 10cm. Remember that these numbers represent people living in the 21th century . In Medieval times people were smaller because poor nutrition.

Well, with 196cm you are realy tall everywere, you are at the top 1%.

Netherlands is the country with the tallest male average height: 183cm. If we took into account the whole world to make a human species male average, this number would probably drop about 10cm. Remember that these numbers represent people living in the 21th century . In Medieval times people were smaller because poor nutrition.

Depends, Medieval Warm Period or Little Ice Age?

Until the end of the Medieval Warm Period (roughly the start of the 14th C.), Northern Europeans were almost as tall as moderns. Only after that did scarcity of food cause decrease in stature. This became more severe as the Little Ice Age progressed.

Average stature (adult European men), 900-1300, 173.4 cm; 1600-1800, 167 cm; modern, 177.6 cm

Anyway, no disagreement; 196 cm is still enough to get called a "giant" in the bad old days.

@Psycroptoxic

I agree with you,Yennefer could be shorter, anywere between 160-165cm is fine. About Francesca, I put her at 180cm based mostly on a feeling. Elves are taller than humans in the witcher universe and she is a noble sorceress pure blood Aen Seidhe...

@GuyNwah

Perfect! The exact numbers I have here.

Last edited:
[Myhrman] could not move because his chest was being heavily and mercilessly crushed by a high boot fastened with buckles. The old fraud, squinting and wrinkling up his face, looked up. The boot belonged to a tall man with hair as white as milk.

This passage has been quoted before as proof or at least an indication that Geralt is above average height ... however, I wouldn't read (no pun intended) too much into this discription since it's written from the subjective perspective* of a character that is literally pinned to the ground, probably making Geralt apppear not only taller as he actually is due to the low viewpoint of the guy lying on the ground but also due to the scary and intimidating situation he finds himself in.

Also, most authors who create taller-than-average characters oftentimes put quite some emphasis on the fact that their protagonist towers above the rest of the population, something Sapkowski has clearly not done when describing Geralt's physique (Bonhart, on the other hand, ...). And given Geralt's depiction as lithe and not overly musclebound, I always assumed that he's probably somewhere around 178-182 cm.

And I agree with Niebling that Yennefer shouldn't be taller than 165 cm (at maximum). It is repeatedly pointed out in the novels that she is a rather petite woman.

*Sapkowski, especially in the later novels, toys frequently with the notion of an "unreliable narrator" to great effect.

Last edited:
Geralt- 6' 2"
Letho- 6' 6"
Iorveth- 5' 11"
Roche- 6'
Triss- 5' 5"
Yen- 5' 7"
Ves- 5' 10"
Saskia- 6'
Dandy- 6' 1"
Zoltan- 5'
Rayla- 5' 8"