How thorough are you with regards to quests?

+
How thorough are you with regards to quests?

So I'm on play through #4. I'm trying to do everything so no red text appears in the quest logs. So far I'm on level 17 and doing poet under pressure quest. Thing is it keeps showing an "optional" ask Driska for help line in red. But if I go to him there is no option to ask for help. I have completed this quest before and the option was available, sadly now it's not. Tried several reloads but to no avail. Similar thing happens in get junior quest "find the secret entrance to the hide out" but I found away around it by not interacting with juniors henchmen at the entrance and simply going around the complex and jumping the wall into the hide out the cancels out that red text line. It also happens in Skellege when hunting the Leshen. No matter who you side with the other option will show up in red text in the log.

Anyone know now anyway around this. I'm striving for a perfect completion of this game, (My first play through I only had 2 red quest entries) or is it just impossible to do because of quest glitches as mentioned above.

RageGT

Forum veteran
Huh, I really care more for completing the quests than having one small phase of it marked in red. And in some quests this is unavoidable if you RP it to the letter:

Redania's most wanted, for those in love with Yen, makes more sense to hold Phillipa's megascope crystal and talk to Yen about it than to Triss. That means that the Triss portion of the quest will be marked Red. Of course you can deliver the crystal to the mad king without speaking to either two girls and no failed mark on the quest log should appear. But what kind of a Witcher would that be? =)

iCake

Forum veteran
I've never even checked the journal for those ticks and I'll never understand people who demand this game be fixed coz they couldn't get all the green entries in some quest(s) and call the game broken because of that.

I always aim/need to make a true 100% on games and Witcher 3 was/is a must,I was very careful to make sure that I did and see everything the game has to offer and explored every nook and cranny.I also try to make all the optional objectives on the quests that provide them but don't really care for small red entries.
Its really impossible to no get a red entry in a quest like the Contract of the Leshen in Skellige you mentioned.But that is not fair and CDPR should fix it,I mean the game gives you a choice and because you chose one the other shouldn't be marked as obejctive failed.

I have a few red quest. Only because I had no idea they seemed to be timed, till it popped up that I failed. Guess it doesn't always pay to be a quest hoarder

Last edited:
Very thorough. Very little red/failed text in quest log. At first I was set to have no red text at all, but since this is unavoidable I don't care so much anymore.

I got a "failed" quest early on in the game--and went back to play it again from the save game and did not like playing it the way the quest had to be be played to "complete" it, and so I wear the red "failed" mark with pride.. It really doesn't matter to me and I'd forgotten it until I saw this thread. The only "right" way for me to play that quest was to "fail" it as I did.

But, generally speaking, in every territory, including White Orchard, I do every main quest, and every secondary quest, and every contract and every treasure quest, in each territory before I move on to the next. If somehow I find myself in a new territory before doing that I'll return to former territory and finish up. Of course I only attempt quests that roughly correspond to my level, which means sometimes it's main quest followed by a secondary followed by another secondary followed by a contract followed by a treasure quest--or any combination thereof... But I do my best to get them all before embarking into another territory and phase of the game.

RageGT

Forum veteran
@waltc Bit off-topic but, there are many different possibilities and even some side quests that are only available if we subvert the appearantly natural order of things. Like you, I too like to clear a region thoroughly before moving to a new one. Gladly, after many playthroughs, I decided to subvert that order in recent runs and move to a new region as soon as I had the suggested level for it, leaving plenty open quests and POI behind, to be done later, of course. This has let me experience such differences and kinda hidden stuff and, well, it adds a new colour to the game. (but I use No Grey Quest Mod so those I left behind and became grey still give me full XP when I go back for them. I did them many times for 1xp reward but with full XP as reward, they became more appealing at later stage. =)

Last edited:

Burza46

CD PROJEKT RED
I like to do quests in the way I feel like they should be done. If I get a bad ending or I fail a quest then its my fault, kinda like in real life. Each action leads to a consequence! :scared:

Huh, I really care more for completing the quests than having one small phase of it marked in red. And in some quests this is unavoidable if you RP it to the letter:

Redania's most wanted, for those in love with Yen, makes more sense to hold Phillipa's megascope crystal and talk to Yen about it than to Triss. That means that the Triss portion of the quest will be marked Red. Of course you can deliver the crystal to the mad king without speaking to either two girls and no failed mark on the quest log should appear. But what kind of a Witcher would that be? =)

I thought Phillipa to be to much of a biatch to me in dialouges. She even tries to use Ciri for her own powerhungry ambitions. So I feel OK to give mad rad the crystal. I thought: Dont fucc with a witcher:threaten:

Damn, no matter wich game, I try to do all side quest, miscellanous quests, puzzles, trophies and whatnot. You could say I'm a perfecctionist in this regard, so different of how I act in regard to most other things, haha. :D

My girlfriend would often sit and watch me play and every time I make a decision or I steal something and guards knock me out, or I fail a quest objective because of this or that, she hollers at me "RELOAD YOUR SAVE AND FIX IT!", but I never do.
I like to carry on with the consequences of my actions, be it not having much coin for a while, or pissing someone off or getting an outcome to a quest I don't like.
Because THAT is what role playing is all about to me; to see consequences. And I think Witcher 3 pulls it off brilliantly!

I just want MORE of that in my game(s)! I would go as far as saying I wish there was at least one point in the game where you can mess it up so badly that it is game over. End of the story. Everyone's dead, including Geralt. And you have no option but to start a new game.
Something like that would thrill me because game developers seem to afraid to do something like that in modern games...

I'm not saying if one gets a red text line that is a glitch that must be fixed, I was just wondering that if the option is given as an "option" it should not show up in red if one chooses not to do it, or if you missed a particular event that may have lead to that option. There are quite afew quests that only show a red text line after completion, but during the quest no prompts appear for that particular task (it does not even show in the task guide). Sure I reload go back and do the missing task, simply cause it's the way I like to play.

Sure in in my first play through I did not do everything as I was still getting to grips with the game but I still made it through with 2 red quest lines only. I failed a task in "High Stakes", just for being stupid and not saving between Gwent games then overiting that save so I could not go back. The second was like I said the "Leshen quest" in Skellege. I also never took the mega scope crystal to either Yennefer or Triss. Sure I left it out purposely cause I did not want the red quest line. Though I still maintain that if two options are given, the one not chosen should not show up as an incompleted task in the quest log.

I always play play my games this way, I call it (ripping it to the threads). I always max out my character, make the best possible versatile character build, try get every secret, get every weapon to its ultimate form. This is for any game I play whether it's a Final Fantasy game or Dragon Age Inquisition. Just the way I play, so I was just interested in who else out there does the same.

Top Bottom