How to backup mode savegames insane mod?

+
How to backup mode savegames insane mod?

I have to format the pc, is there a way to backup savegames insane mode?

Just to do a regular format while keeping the save games won`t do any good . There is a setting somewhere in the registry that needs to copied as well and even then i`m not completely sure that would work .

PCMaster said:
I have to format the pc, is there a way to backup savegames insane mode?

I had a great idea after losing my progress on insane one playthrough ago. Once in a while, save the game, then set difficulty to hard and save again. After, you can reload the insane save you just made and continue. In case you die, you can continue playing on hard from that point />

From what I have read, there is no way to recover your saves in case of death and you can't transfer them. They are bound to your windows registry in some unique way. It's a pity they didn't make some way to transfer them as insane. However, I think you can use them to import for Witcher 3 (they are disabled but not deleted/altered upon death).

PS If you look around, I think there is a description somewhere on the web of how you can copy a certain registry.. so it may be possible.

There's a Registry key that determines whether Insane mode saves are live or not. You should be able to recover your game if the key still has its original value; but to do that across a reformat, you will have to back up that key. You need to back it up while Geralt is alive in an Insane mode game.

(Which brings up the question, why reformat? Reformatting should be a rare action, something you do only if your PC is irretrievably compromised.)

Anyway, it's the Registry entry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CD Projekt RED\The Witcher 2\GameData.

Run "regedit", find the folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CD Projekt RED\The Witcher 2, and export it (File -> Export, save it to a place you can copy off to a USB stick or other backup).

If you edit the .reg file that the export creates, it will look similar to this:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CD Projekt RED\The Witcher 2]
"Language"="EN"
"Speech"="EN"
"SerialNumber"="szm45-elp91-7jmoy-owwsq"
"GameData"=hex(0):85,28,63,90,a8,ac,a6,54,35,02,5e,b0,bc,70,c6,cf,58,ed,77,82,\
  7f,15,57,59,10,8e,0d,92,11,59,83,f8,bf,bf,00
"InstallStatus"=dword:00000000

etc.

That binary value of the key GameData is the value that protects the Insane mode saves. Don't change it. What you're going to do is put that value back after you have reformatted and reinstalled the game.

Save the .reg file and your game saves to a safe place, and do your reformatting and reinstalling.

If you put your saves back and launch the game at this point, you will get the message about "saves unavailable".

So find the .reg file and open it (double-click); it will give you warnings about modifying the Registry, and you should click through them.

Then launch the game, and your Insane mode saves will be available.

This hack can also be used to resurrect a dead Geralt in Insane mode, but we would never do that, now would we?

GuyN said:
This hack can also be used to resurrect a dead Geralt in Insane mode, but we would never do that, now would we?

(after carefully saving and printing out for future use) No, sir! Never!

Thanks for the advice.
I finished the game in insane mode very long time ago (version 1.3 or earlier), but I really need to format the pc, many years have passed since the last time I did it.

Thank you so much for the tip.: D

GuyN said:
I was thinking of that while reading most of your post :))

GuyN said:
(after carefully saving and printing out for future use) No, sir! Never!
Yup :D Though, I prefer to just make a few hard saves - after all, I don't get any achievements, I'm with the free GOG game. If I play insane, I would just be annoyed for losing to instant death and glitches. BUT I SURVIVED AND COMPLETED THE GAME !! Had a one go fight with Letho at the end too (for most of the game I reloaded shamelessly; I said to myself that since I choose to fight Letho might as well do it for real and risk death ;) ).

Top Bottom