How to beat poison decks?

+
is there anything happening about poison? /support from people even if they run the deck (i know nobody wants their deck nerfed). There's no counter to it i have looked for card that makes another card immune and cant find one, i try to use a defender it just gets stolen by yens innovocation, i run gremist in skellige deck but he just gets killed straight away before i can refresh his ability and i had to change my whole deck to put more alchemy cards in which has basicly ruined it anyways. i have put purifies in but then all im doing is stopping my units being killed while they connstantly put out 4-6 provision units with 4+ power every turn and im not getting points on the board so it doesnt work anyways. i checked on other forums and people are saying use this deck or swarm etc, but last time i checked before a matchup you dont know what deck the opponent is playing so i try to balance my deck to face all factions, but now ive changed it to try and beat NG poison i get trashed by everyone else and still dont beat NG. I just find it all a bit mad these units which are so cheap for NG are 4-6 power and are effectively doing 50% damage to your units, i mean purify i wouldnt even call a counter as all your doing is saving some of your units whilst they rack up the points and putting all those purify in my deck has completely ruined the synergy anyways and useless against other factions. i just dont get it. someone please help with ideas or have information wether they are changing anything about poison? i love the challenge of building a deck in this game but i have been thinking about this for a week and its driving me mad, i understand these games are hard to balance and i think they do a decent job but i just don't understand this, i mean could it not at least be changed to order rather than deploy? would probably still be crazy hard to beat. This has broke the game for me and i think im very open minded and fair when it comes to game balancing, PLEASE HELP!

I tried adding more purify cards, but they are quite weak or provide no points. If anyone has a solution, I'd love to see it

Hey, I'm kinda wet behind the ears and new to the game, but I've been managing OK with my monsters just consuming the poor sod that gets poisoned, even munching on some rotten cows the artillery throws their way now and then :D

so i try to balance my deck to face all factions
Well that's a mistake, you should "balance" your deck to have the highest winrate, knowing you will have better and worse matchups. You already answered yourself, swarm decks beat poison decks. Poison is stupid tho, i've said that as soon as they revealed it as a new mechanic.

Sounds like you're playing SK: Gremist, Crow's Eye 3 points purify plus renews Gremist and boosts the druid lady/brings crowmother from the graveyard, so there's synergy. There's pellar (4p purify) if you really want to tech up, though I personally don't like to tech that much against one thing. Include heatwave to banish the scenario. Hard removal for the dames. It's going to be tougher on tall unit decks, but that's just one SK deck, and I think you can still play around them even then, though it's hard. Use defender after you get poisoned. Really anything to slow it down.

There is no one card/mechanic answer to poison. Poison is really broken OP right now. The only definite way to win against poison is to play lots of small units under 6 power. Things like crows, elven deadeyes and arachas.

You just have to wait a couple months until CDPR decides to tone poison down.

i have all of that and more i use vivienne for artifacts they are just still way to much for me yen inovocation steals defender everytime. purifies arent enough and make my deck totally useless against all other decks, hell gremist cant even purify himself hes so bad. always lose very badly, i cant see any way around it because its the insant mechanic of the poison as a deploy ability the only thing that can react in time is a purify special card and they are all crap adding 3 points when your opponent just added more than that and then if you have all the purifies in your deck and come up against someone you dont need them against then they are a waste of a card also, peoples on solutions are to play a specific deck build which is stupid because you dont know what faction your about to play and all factions should be able to fight each other i dont want to not use skellige to play the game... whats the point in that? only thing i can think of is change from deploy to order so you have a chance of lock or destroying them. people are saying play this deck play that deck but where is the actually counter to poison??? there is none purify keeps it slightly at bay whilst you lose the match or totally fucks your deck build against other factions. i literally just played the same NG poison deck again, its unplayable, people that are saying it isnt dont play skellige or have been very very lucky, but i play the same deck 80% of the time im gona just start quitting from the start im that close to throwing my toys out the pram.
Post automatically merged:

sorry that turned into a rant, its just i was enjoying this game so much until i switched to PC

You don't like poison, I get it but you mention you loose to other fraction and other decks as well. So it's maybe not poison that is the issue here, but maybe your own deck?

no i was totally unbeaten until i played the NG poison deck, then i changed my deck to challenge the NG poison and have been tweaking it ever since to try and beat NG poison and subsequently now i lose to other factions. because my whole setup is obsessed with beating NG poison because thats what i play against 75% of the time

Curious, if you play the poison deck, it never occurred to you when playing it against other fraction and other cards that there were weakness in the deck?

I do play a hybrid NG poison deck and I do have good win-rates but I also loose too. Any deck that is able to put units on my side has a good chance of winning. Any deck that is able to tempo fast in round 1-2 also has a good chance of winning. Any deck that plays small unit with geralt igni or scorch has a chance of winning due to the unknown factor.

There is plenty of ways to win against poison deck. It does require set-up and the set-up is slow sometimes.

Did you try SK Self Wound? Useful against these cow cadavers and sometimes it's possible to destroy your own units with benefits before the second poison arrives. Before the last patch I played traps with Deadeye when I was annoyed because of NG and NR, but I strongly dislike the changes for traps and Deadeye, so I stopped playing that. But I guess Elven Swarm is still working against poison-decks and other factions as well. Recently I'm fiddling around with SK Discard with Kambi, Phoenix and Crow Mother. Definitely not high tier but decent and a lot of fun, if it works.
But if you want to win most of your matches you have to play OP decks yourself. Boring IMO.

There is no one card/mechanic answer to poison. Poison is really broken OP right now. The only definite way to win against poison is to play lots of small units under 6 power. Things like crows, elven deadeyes and arachas.

You just have to wait a couple months until CDPR decides to tone poison down.
"We don't know what you all were expecting us to do about poison".

- Jason Slama

is there anything happening about poison? /support from people even if they run the deck (i know nobody wants their deck nerfed). There's no counter to it

I don't think so. I play Nil as my faction and I'm loaded with poison units. Recently and a little bit before then, my deck was regularly demolished by other factions. Nobody would play more poison cards than me. I get the feeling that posts like this have contributed to my being able to go winless for a day's session, due to new cards being introduced to make my strategy unviable.

Currently I've Level 51 and Rank 14, I think (I've got my first Prestige in any case). Not sure where you are at. Maybe that explains why you aren't having much luck? The devs probably want you to spend a lot of money buying kegs or something to improve your deck.

Personally I think that nerfing Sco is more urgent, with its bs Harmony feature. The decks that I'm playing as Nil are just not competitive against a lot of decks and factions. That makes the game a troll.

I don't think so. I play Nil as my faction and I'm loaded with poison units. Recently and a little bit before then, my deck was regularly demolished by other factions. Nobody would play more poison cards than me. I get the feeling that posts like this have contributed to my being able to go winless for a day's session, due to new cards being introduced to make my strategy unviable.

Currently I've Level 51 and Rank 14, I think (I've got my first Prestige in any case). Not sure where you are at. Maybe that explains why you aren't having much luck? The devs probably want you to spend a lot of money buying kegs or something to improve your deck.

Personally I think that nerfing Sco is more urgent, with its bs Harmony feature. The decks that I'm playing as Nil are just not competitive against a lot of decks and factions. That makes the game a troll.

ok but answer me this, ignore what you play etc etc, can you do anything against a deploy poison?
i just want it changed to order. i dont see how that makes them useless, people still wont be able to take them out most of the time but means they can actually do something about it other than the higher provision cards which obviously keep deploy ability. be fair what would you do as skellige to stop poison deploy.

i cant begin to imagine how hard these games are to balance. i bet alot of people in forums don't think so, its more complex than that as you have different factions and game likes this will always take alot of thought, but i thing changing these low cost units to order instead of deploy would be an easy and fair fix.

Last edited:
I can think of a lot of changes that could improve the game right now. So... I don't know why you or others would think that it is difficult to balance the game.

DRK3

Forum veteran
The counter to poison decks is not using purifies. Even if you do put as many purifies as you can in a deck, it still probably wont be enough, as NG poison decks can put 8-15 poisons reliably.

The real counter has already been mentioned here - its swarm decks. I know not everyone is a fan of those, but its the only archetype that can reliably win against poison, and is pretty straightforward to pilot those decks. Yes, NR crap and SC Harmony can probably also win, but if you think about it those decks are also a form of swarm, with multiple engines being played on a single turn, not even NG poison can kill them all.

And to those that think swarm is just a MO thing and you have to play MO, i bring good news: all factions can use swarm.
Yes, some are better than others, but there's plenty of styles for everyone.
MO can do it with arachas or rats, SK with crows, SY with zealots (which have recently been buffed), SC can do it with elves, dwarves, even harmony is pretty much a swarm deck, usually ending up with 14-16 units at the end of a long round 3.

NR and NG are a bit trickier to swarm. NG can do it with Daerlan soldiers, nobody does that anymore but its not bad at all. NR doesnt really have proper swarm units, maybe blue stripes, but i tried it yesterday and its terrible against NG, not because of poison but cheap locks and removal tactics. But a Pincer Maneuver caravan guard might do the trick, i think i used one in December (without Draug, but you can use it since its trendy now) and did well vs Poison in its early days.

ok but answer me this, ignore what you play etc etc, can you do anything against a deploy poison?
i just want it changed to order. i dont see how that makes them useless, people still wont be able to take them out most of the time but means they can actually do something about it other than the higher provision cards which obviously keep deploy ability. be fair what would you do as skellige to stop poison deploy.

i cant begin to imagine how hard these games are to balance. i bet alot of people in forums don't think so, its more complex than that as you have different factions and game likes this will always take alot of thought, but i thing changing these low cost units to order instead of deploy would be an easy and fair fix.

I did want to get back to your earlier post. I should have asked what level or rank you are (whichever is the relevant one...GWENT has about 4 different measures of how good you are which...'great'...yuh). If you're relatively new to the game, you might not have bog-standard cards which would make your faction or strategy competitive. E.g. (this following comment will probably date me, as I don't keep up with the meta), but if you play Nor and you don't have that catapulty thingy or enough of them, then a strategy of having units which continually deal out damage to your opponent at the end of your turn won't be that effective.

Since I'm not particularly advanced in this game and I don't make any effort to keep up with the meta, some suggestions for you would be:

Be a script kiddie who copies and pastes the latest meta which makes my 'too much poison is barely enough poison' strategy utterly useless. I've come across many factions which do this against me, so much so that I thought of resuming my use of the Nor faction...which I did for a short while and realised was not as effective as my ineffective Nil faction. I.e. Mon (the consume units which are a real PITA, and whatever that leader's ability and one particular unit combo is...one player got a BS win against me on their final card in game 3 against me, when they were a mile behind me. They ended up crushing me. That was fun. Yuh); Sco, with it's BS Harmony mechanic (Scenarios for some factions can be a real PITA too); Syn with it's profit system which seems to give them powerful plays...every other turn; Nor with its units which dish out huge damage to opponents, etc.

For my Nil deck, I really need to have my units stay on the board to have a good game. If I poison a lot of your units say, and it sucks for you, but you have a 40 to 50% chance of winning against me, how fair is it to have new units or mechanics which basically wipe my side of the board clean and allows you to smash me in game 3, assuming that you let me win round 2 by passing on your first turn?

I don't think that it's fair to have multiple decks capable of nullifying a perfectly good strategy of killing a lot of your units.

Anyway, back to your question: "Purify" is annoying, as when opponents play units with this ability, it basically means I wasted one of my poison units. I can recover from that, but if you then follow up by removing all or most of my units from the board, I get bored very quickly with how one-sided the game is and concede or force-quit the game or rage-quit in those same ways.

P.S. re Ske, that's another annoying faction to me. Maybe that's another faction where I think maybe I should just force-quit the game when I go up against them. I really feel like Nil is actually the weakest faction at the moment.

Another thing, I've posted on these forums before a couple of times, at least, how I was having bad days. I'd lose every game in a session some days, or win just one game. The match-making system is stuffed, I think, and I've posted on that here before. Maybe you are experiencing something similar? I.e. you're having one of those days where you just keep playing Nil and you happen to walk into players who have a pretty good Nil deck? I've had BS days where I got the same faction as an opponent the first few times. It's like the game is trolling me. Today I've had a better day after the last time I played, where I got smashed match after match. I think I was just playing a lot of players today that didn't have those BS decks which always smash me, no matter how far behind with one card left to play in game 3 they are.

One final thing, re poison should be an Order...I've actually thought something similar but different, when thinking about all those decks which smash me all the time: don't change my Nil deck units' ability to poison on deploy and/or on Order, just add an extra function to them which allows you to order them to do something else. E.g. like get back that card my opponent just stole from me with sorcery, or have Purify etc. I.e. a lot more Nil units with more than one function in order to remain competitive with decks capable of wiping out my entire board or most of it.

I'm sure I could have edited this post to make it read more smoothly but I don't have the time right now.

Hopefully CDPR will just do a lot of sims with whatever new units or features which they want to introduce and only implement them if it remains balanced for most factions, most of the time. That's all.

Last edited:
maybe im wrong like humans are but for me its a gamebreaker. whole thing seems a bit hopeless to me, a bit of a bummer for a game i was enjoying so much on xbox. artwork and animations are fantastic and forums seem busy enough, appreciate all the replies guys hope you all get the balance your hoping for.

maybe im wrong like humans are but for me its a gamebreaker. whole thing seems a bit hopeless to me, a bit of a bummer for a game i was enjoying so much on xbox. artwork and animations are fantastic and forums seem busy enough, appreciate all the replies guys hope you all get the balance your hoping for.

Same to you. CDPR use the Ranking system to arrange match-ups. Not that I'd know, but that seems to be a measure of how 'winning' you are. Level seems to be about how experienced you are, where how 'winning' you are is not as important. To me, these factors don't really determine a good match. I've started a thread on this board, or maybe it was merged into another thread, saying that I think that the problem with the match-making is that it ignores people's decks. If it just focused on the quality of someone's deck, I think that matches could be more evenly matched. On the downside, it might be hard to get a lot of action with that. Then again, today was very slow for me, initially, in finding match-ups, so it's not like that my suggestion would necessarily be worse as far as getting games goes.

Another mixed day today online for me. Got smashed a few times but got some wins too. I think that I'll find it very hard to complete my mosaic for this. I can't win often enough, which maybe supports my view that a very strong poison deck isn't that scary for a lot of factions and decks. But it does depend on how good people's decks are anyway. Some weeks back I played against a Nil deck. I don't think that they had any poison units at all. I beat them. I really couldn't see the point of their deck. How did they plan on winning a lot?

Me getting smashed every day that I play and some days not even getting any wins in a session of over a handful of games is a game-breaker for me.

Top Bottom