How to counter Scoia'tael's special card spam?

+
How to counter Scoia'tael's special card spam?

So far I only made one successful monster deck comprise of manticore venom, lacerate, thunder, and epidemic that can counter against Scoia'tael's Neophytes and Hawker Support. Anytime I play any other faction against their annoying special card spam I always end up losing like 90% of the time. Especially those Neophytes, when they get buffed with thunderbolt potion and more get summoned, it gets hard to epidemic or scorch them all. Any tips on countering their Elf/special card strategy would be appreciated. Also I don't really have a problem with the Dwarf side though, Dwarf decks are fun to play against but the Elf deck irritates me a lot.

Monster deck is somewhat at a disadvantage here. You can try to use D-Bomb and Weather cards. I suppose the best thing you can do is keep playing until the opponent uses Aglaïs and/or Isengrim. Also save your removal spells for cards like Elven Mercenary or Vrihedd Dragoon. Once the opponent is out of Elven Mercenaries, he is usually pretty much screwed.

4RM3D;n7266560 said:
Monster deck is somewhat at a disadvantage here. You can try to use D-Bomb and Weather cards. I suppose the best thing you can do is keep playing until the opponent uses Aglaïs and/or Isengrim. Also save your removal spells for cards like Elven Mercenary or Vrihedd Dragoon. Once the opponent is out of Elven Mercenaries, he is usually pretty much screwed.
Personally for me, I find monster the most effective deck against their special spam due to the faction ability. My deck has only in total of 9 monsters, but they're all high power one's.
I tried using my monster weather deck against them but they it always end up with getting countered by clear weather. Since they also have that 1 annoying gold card that can play special cards from the graveyard. I HATE THAT CARD!! The only real chance I ever had was spamming special cards back at them haha. Whenever I play NR for example, the Neophytes always end up overpowering me at the end/

I still have to encounter another successful build to consistently counter the new meta scoiatael (that i play myself).

But hey, if you cant beat them, you can always join them.

Laveley;n7266820 said:
I still have to encounter another successful build to consistently counter the new meta scoiatael (that i play myself).

Yeah true, I wish I could do the same for the other factions. Though my collection for the other faction still needs better card in order for me to make it effective

Neophytes can be swept away easily with Tremor, Venom, Yen's Chironex and Harald the Cripple. Just have to choose the right moment.

When Isengrim is played I kill him right away with Radovid or Iorveth (luckily got both from the drop)

Laveley;n7266820 said:

I'm afraid everyone joined already. Today i played ~20 matches i had 2 times radovid once skellige all the other matches Scoiatael :)

kietmac123;n7266490 said:
So far I only made one successful monster deck comprise of manticore venom, lacerate, thunder, and epidemic that can counter against Scoia'tael's Neophytes and Hawker Support. Anytime I play any other faction against their annoying special card spam I always end up losing like 90% of the time. Especially those Neophytes, when they get buffed with thunderbolt potion and more get summoned, it gets hard to epidemic or scorch them all. Any tips on countering their Elf/special card strategy would be appreciated. Also I don't really have a problem with the Dwarf side though, Dwarf decks are fun to play against but the Elf deck irritates me a lot.

Give him the round with his Combo and win the other.
When he don't used his Combo in Round 1 or Round 2, then try to play long rounds. So that the elf don't have special cards in Round 3. Isengrimm without special cards is only Power 6 card.

Insegrim is not the problem in this deck. Actually a lot of ST control don't use insegrim at all. The problem is that u can stop opponents combos with special cards, archers and get some decent value with aelirenn + toruviel. Another problem is card advantage, ST control can so easy get at least 1 card ahead of opponents.

This new build isnt "control" per se. The only cards i use that can be said being control are iorveth/borkh and two archers and that is just to get rid of few must targets, like ocvist and ciri.

The main focus of the strategy is thin your deck through the mercs->rally combo, you can flood the board easily and put some incredible number with just a few cards. Combine that with weather + card advantage and you have a very strong build that can counter the real control ones.

Last edited:
Kill the elven mercenaries as soon as the enter the field. that way they can't be recycled by blue mountain commandos, eithne or decoy.
manticore venom is also very effective
if you have cards that can kill isengrim when he comes into play that will also help out a lot

Azurewraith1000;n7275870 said:
I find the best way to counter them is just to hope you have a ivoreth and can kill isengrim. Deck falls apart after that

Not really. Actaully a lot of players at higher lvl don't use insegrim at all becasue of the amount of Radovids and iorweths it can be dead card. You are talking only about ST vs ST mirror and obviously they can beat each other but in mirrors it's a lot randomness who gonna get better cards, who gonna start 1st both of this things matters a lot.

Besides mirror match what about other factions? They are usually in big trouble against Scoiatael becasue lets say triple aeromancy or double borkh and obviously being ahead with cards just win the game a lot of times and ST can thin deck easily getting all the necessary cards. Probably radovid has the biggest chance to beat them but it's a lot randomness again. You need to have good starting hand becasue usually u can't thin your deck so easy vs Scoiatael becasue they are just denying it meanwhile ST needs only 2 - 3 rounds to get rid of 10 cards.

Last edited:
i once drew against this f deck using monsters. i had a lot of luck drawing all my card advantage at the right time, and had exactly ragnarok + epidemic when their cards exausted. still it was only enough for a draw, because , as usual, they had the deck so thin that all their golds were played.

Top Bottom