How to fix trap archetype

+
1. Make serpent trap a bronze 6 provision with a zeal order to reset any unit. This way if opponent doesn't run specials, the card is not bricked. Also having 2 allows for more traps.
2. Victory horn should be a 6 provision bronze trap. The power should fall from 8 to 6. The zeal order should be to boost 1 unit by 5. Again more traps, also less potential for bricking.
3. Incinerating trap should be damage 3 before enemy triggers ability. It should also have an order to turn back over and repeat deploy ability. Because the card is buffed it should go up to 6 provisions. At best it has a potential for serious value, at worst it does 3 damage and softens an enemy for a deathwish card. As it stands now the value is less than almost any 4 provision card. A max of 5 damage, no points on the user side, no interference with most enemy synergy, and cannot be played with other next enemy traps or it doubles up.
3b. If you want to keep it at 5 power at least remove the auto deploy and let the player do 5 damage to an enemy at will. In this case it is just a cheaper alzur's thunder the same way crushing trap is a cheaper lacerate.
4. Add more than 1 new trap per expansion. Including neutral traps.

Serpent Trap should remain gold, but it does indeed need another ability because the brickability (is that even a word) is too high. Other than that, the existing traps are fine. What we do need is a greater variety of traps. However, the devs should watch out that it doesn't turn into a game of Russian roulette. Because it can be frustrating to play against traps when there are 10 different things that could potentially happen.

Traps have the potential to be super broken. Pitfall Trap can single handedly win a round if played right (or your opponent plays wrong). That said Serpent trap is the only truly useless trap since it has no alternative ability and is the most niche of the traps.

I also vehemently disagree that there should be neutral traps, since it removes flavor from Scoia'tael. The traps would also have to be designed with little to no synergy capability and as such would have to be designed like the current traps that already exist. Instead I'd suggest more cards that work with traps, like Elven Scout and Iorveth.

Traps have the potential to be super broken. Pitfall Trap can single handedly win a round if played right (or your opponent plays wrong). That said Serpent trap is the only truly useless trap since it has no alternative ability and is the most niche of the traps.

I also vehemently disagree that there should be neutral traps, since it removes flavor from Scoia'tael. The traps would also have to be designed with little to no synergy capability and as such would have to be designed like the current traps that already exist. Instead I'd suggest more cards that work with traps, like Elven Scout and Iorveth.

Traps are all about high risk high reward play. If you really want a leader who is based on traps, he needs the traps to be competitive. It does have the potential to be broken, but right now it is broken the other way.

Top Bottom