How to flee during combat?

+
How to flee during combat?

I know there is a button you can press and hold, and then you will flee during combat (Geralt will run away). But I don't know what button to press and I can't find it anywhere. What button on the keyboard do I press? What button on the Xbox controller do I press?

So, apparently holding down Left Shift doesn't work. Since on consoles, the sprint button is also the interact button, I've tried out holding the interact button "E" as well. Doesn't work either. Can someone please explain me how to flee during combat, by holding down what button on the keyboard? Thanks in advance. Consider this an easy way to earn a REDpoint.

X1 default you just make sure you aren't target locked and hold A and sprint away. It's great for body pulling singles from large packs to thin out the herd.

So, on the Xbox One it's the A button. Ok, but what button on the keyboard should I press? I don't play with a controller.

I use double tap 's' to get clear, then shift 's' to run. (Different combinations might work better depending on where your enemies are and what they are up to... also your escape routes - e.g. shift 'w' to run with your enemies offscreen behind you... I know you can use roll to evade but I find that I can't manipulate the keys easily enough to get dodge/roll using the combos, and the double tap "jump" is good enough for most purposes).
Aard or Igni to make an opening might help, but will limit your running to 'jog' only, rather than a sprint. Be aware that Geralt 'slows' and circles as he nears the edge of the encounter space... he needs a second nudge to depart poste-haste. Sometimes only "a gap" is needed, rather than to run away completely. This is still the way I do that... but I save Igni/Aard or Axii to pick off the first threat that approaches.

So that's it? Just press Shift + W or Shift + A/S/D? I thought there was a special button for fleeing. But it's basically just sprinting away?

So that's it? Just press Shift + W or Shift + A/S/D? I thought there was a special button for fleeing. But it's basically just sprinting away?
Pretty much. Enemies will eventually leash back to their spawn point once you get far enough away.

"Just" sprinting away will likely get you dead though... get out using a dodge (I tend to double tap) or roll, then run. Consider Yrden, Aard or Igni to buy a moment too.

Can be mixed up... a very short run, then a single fast attack and immediate dodge... possibly with Igni before or after the hit. Depends on whether evading a mob, or running from a massively overlevel opponent.

Also look for opportunities to climb away, or to use environmental obstacles (circle around a gas cloud and use Igni to one shot many low level enemies), use exploding barrels the same (can be set using sword instead of Igni if stamina is a problem...)

Yrden and bombs should be good too. Yrden, a short retreat and then attack into the circle as enemies arrive is good... Avoid just standing like a wally in the middle, then attacking and moving outside it towards the middle of the mob.

I use double tap 's' to get clear, then shift 's' to run.

This.

Roll a couple of times and then hold whatever button equates to sprint. Pretty much all enemies have a fairly small leash so, when you see that red skull, running away shouldn't be a problem ;)

I also have to say, I'm preferring, and therefore using, the controller.

Top Bottom