how to get by as a newer player????

+
I don't see how newer players are meant to get by with getting new cards it seems very hard to win any points in normal once u are past fighting other new players and seems very few oddly.
arena is hell i get this will take a wile to get a better understanding of all the cards but is it better to arena or just get kegs?. i cant seem to win in arena at all in less im fighting another newer person odds are 0% that im going to win even 1 game lol.

seasonal seems to just be a noob slaughter fest u seem to only run in to 2 diff decks here that just steamroll u .Because of lack of good cards iv seen others i had to fight bust out any where from 20 to 30+ heel even 50 in the first 3 turns with cards that all most seem to endless boost eachother or recharge all zeals every turn.

i just dont see how im meant to go about getting better when allmost every fight is vs people that just roll u with the same few decks.

Dont get me wrong the game is fun wile fighting others in the same boat at least thin is a good even game but any other time it would be more fun to pull out your own teeth or hair lol.

also something i wanted to ask is this one of them games that say its free to play but really its pay for cards if u really want to get any where in the game in any part of it?

Last edited:
1. Unlock all leaders first before going to leader trees.
2. Play in ranked mode
3. If possible, save your kegs and open them if it's premium weekend but if you need cards then just open them.
4. Build a deck around on what you have. Don't go crafting every card.
5. Focus on one faction first.

A friend of mine tried to get into gwent after open beta with a new account.

He used his starting scraps to make a nilfgard meta deck and then as soon as it fell out of meta he was dead in the water.

He played arena for a while and after a week he was good at it. Getting 7-9 wins became common event and he got a lot of ore scraps and kegs. He built decks for 2 other factions.

Arena is not about the meta. If you get experienced at it, pick the cards most suited for arena (mostly neutral cards) you can win regardless if the opponent has played since open beta and has full collection.

A friend of mine tried to get into gwent after open beta with a new account.

He used his starting scraps to make a nilfgard meta deck and then as soon as it fell out of meta he was dead in the water.

He played arena for a while and after a week he was good at it. Getting 7-9 wins became common event and he got a lot of ore scraps and kegs. He built decks for 2 other factions.

Arena is not about the meta. If you get experienced at it, pick the cards most suited for arena (mostly neutral cards) you can win regardless if the opponent has played since open beta and has full collection.

Arena is good IF you get lucky draws and know how to synergize your random built deck. It's a nice mode to familiarize yourself on every card on the game and it's also rewarding if you win a lot of matches.

1. Unlock all leaders first before going to leader trees.
2. Play in ranked mode
3. If possible, save your kegs and open them if it's premium weekend but if you need cards then just open them.
4. Build a deck around on what you have. Don't go crafting every card.
5. Focus on one faction first.

Should i just start a new account thin i had opened like 10-15 kegs all ready it would not be to hard to make that back really day or so.
Also what starter deck would be best to go with im useing the elfs/dwarfs but it seems really hard to get the ball rolling on them i like the idea behind the slow build up but i seem to run in to a lot of people with 1 shot kill spells and decks with tons of ways to lock my cards or ones that copy your last used cards lol.And most of the cards start out i think with 4 or less that i have for my build up over time just all get nuked still fun but makes u what to pull your hair out some times lol

The only card i crafted so far was 2 for get the name some huge mosspig that can move from one line and back that seems to combo with the card that moves to the right and another that boosts any card that moved if played in the ranged lane
thats my main combo that iv learned that and the dwarfs that boost 1 every turn in at5+ other thin that iv got no real set ups sadly all most never got any cards for my set out of kegs i do have some cool dragon cards that kill off the highest card but they tend to get nuked killed regardless even if i get a shield on them lol not really knowing to go from here.

2. Play in ranked mode
Are you sure you didn't mean "Don't play in ranked mode? I played ranked until 26. Then I realized that my opponents were so well equipped, that I'll never stand a chance. I deactivated rank and since then I slowly but surely increase my win rate, and got so many really good cards that further improve my deck.

Also what starter deck would be best to go with
If you still have the chance, try Skellige. It is relatively forgiving and later on with Svalblod as leader you can make very good use of cards that you'd now consider junk.

But also keep in mind that you don't need to win matches to progress. So focus on winning rounds rather in the beginning. If you can manage to win 1 round per match, you already progress quite good.

Are you sure you didn't mean "Don't play in ranked mode?

Rank mode matches you with an opponent with the same rank as you so if your'e new the probability of matching up with a new player also is high but there are still some cases that you will encounter well equipped players (maybe they played casual for a long time then decided to rank). Casual mode matches you with all kinds of opponent.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Rank mode matches you with an opponent with the same rank as you so if your'e new the probability of matching up with a new player also is high but there are still some cases that you will encounter well equipped players (maybe they played casual for a long time then decided to rank). Casual mode matches you with all kinds of opponent.
Thank you for clearing that up. I always wondered, what exactly the difference was and assumed something smilar to what you explaind. So basically, I simply suck when playing against equal strength players :cry:
Post automatically merged:

also something i wanted to ask is this one of them games that say its free to play but really its pay for cards if u really want to get any where in the game in any part of it?
Overlooked at frst, sorry. No, it isn't. Of course it helps you to get desired cards quicker, if you invest. But you don't get cards that you wouldn't also get without paying, afaik.

Last edited:
u where right sk is a lot more fun at least im winning in seasonal matches now even vs the decks that where stomping me in to the ground be for lol yet to test in ranked or cal but this is what im useing in seasonal right now having fun now lol this is what i came up with like the leader i got hes fun lol
https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/10936

Last edited:
u where right sk is a lot more fun at least im winning in seasonal matches now even vs the decks that where stomping me in to the ground be for lol yet to test in ranked or cal but this is what im useing in seasonal right now having fun now lol this is what i came up with like the leader i got hes fun lol
https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/10936

You won't like this answer, but it will work 100% of the time, especially with bonus exp. Autoforfeit unranked matches (seasonal or casual.) Every time you do you get exp, and every level equals 1 reward point. Reward points convert to kegs and you can get stronger. Also getting prestige rewards will help (first prestige rewards is especially valuable for new players.) Do this and you will gain enough strength to compete against anyone.

You won't like this answer, but it will work 100% of the time, especially with bonus exp. Autoforfeit unranked matches (seasonal or casual.) Every time you do you get exp, and every level equals 1 reward point. Reward points convert to kegs and you can get stronger. Also getting prestige rewards will help (first prestige rewards is especially valuable for new players.) Do this and you will gain enough strength to compete against anyone.

i was wondering if that was what others did because u still get exp even if u dont win lol but if its the norm i may as well do it also lol

Autoforfeit unranked matches (seasonal or casual.) Every time you do you get exp, and every level equals 1 reward point. Reward points convert to kegs and you can get stronger.

What an advice....

Just play in ranked, you will learn from your mistakes and rapidly recognize patterns used by other faction. At the very beginning, focus on one faction, then explore other ones as soon as you can afford a minimum viable deck.

You won't learn anything by forfeiting. It is not just a matter of cards, and it is the beauty of gwent !

Autoforfeit unranked matches (seasonal or casual.)

You'll barely get any XP because it depends on the number of cards played and number of rounds won. So, at the very least, you have to play all your cards first to get some extra XP.

That is possibly the worst advice you can give. Why would newcomer be interested in the premiums if he hardly has any good cards for a ladder worthy deck?
Just open all the packs you obtain and you will get spare scraps in no time.

You'll barely get any XP because it depends on the number of cards played and number of rounds won. So, at the very least, you have to play all your cards first to get some extra XP.

You get 25 points for playing no cards, 37 if it is during faction challenge boost. I (and several other players,) prestiged up before CC using this method (it got my premium cards with every keg.)

Top Bottom