How to handle non-combat characters?

+
Oh boy... how I hate this damned 'Holy Trinity'... it's the clautrophobia of RPG classes. I have been playing both tabletop and computer RPGs for long enough to be sure there is life beyond that. There are social skills, there is sabotage and many other ways I'm not thinking about right now...

But given enough options, people will have fun by doing completely unexpected things (I'm looking at you guy who played as an NPC in TES: Oblivion). I mean, you can go with a rockerboy for a social playthrough and somewhre along the way get distracted by just trying to be famous and have a heck of a good time

But given enough options, people will have fun by doing completely unexpected things (I'm looking at you guy who played as an NPC in TES: Oblivion). I mean, you can go with a rockerboy for a social playthrough and somewhre along the way get distracted by just trying to be famous and have a heck of a good time

You could have that option. To me it sounds pretty cool. It will be interesting to see how playable that is in the full game though. I would say that in a "sand box" game this sort of gameplay is pretty important - more so than extra cyber gear or a surfeit of character customization or having vehicles.

But all those other things are easier to implement.

Seems to me the non-combat Role choice at that point is Minions! Send them in!

A netrunner could hack some FBC and use it as his weapon, or hack a spinner and mow down the enemies by remote.

A suit could send his corporate army to kill everyone.

A rocker could send his adoring fans to kill people.

A media could... I don't know. Perhaps paint the target in a bad light on TV, and have random people kill him?

A fixer could use his contacts and favors owed to have the target killed.

A netrunner could hack some FBC and use it as his weapon, or hack a spinner and mow down the enemies by remote.

A suit could send his corporate army to kill everyone.

A rocker could send his adoring fans to kill people.

A media could... I don't know. Perhaps paint the target in a bad light on TV, and have random people kill him?

A fixer could use his contacts and favors owed to have the target killed.

And a cop just calls for backup and leans back while Psy-Cops take em out

Show vids of the target accepting blackmail, ruining their Rep and driving them out of the city before they're killed by an angry mob for their crimes.

I still stay with my statement that the non-combative roles are the main heroes and solos are just the supporting sidekicks.

Most people don't realize how powerful these characters can be IF PLAYED PROPERLY. I think it will be quite interesting to see how CDPR handles the Fixer, the Rocker and the Corp. I mean, a guy/girl who can incite riots with just a catchy tune, a message and raw charisma? A wheeler, dealer of the streets who can arrange mob hits and have solos, mobsters or gangers kick your ass at their whims? And Corps... Well, hell, they pretty much run the whole damn show for the most part, don't they. My best advice? Put limits on how powerful these classes can get. I get that most people WON'T play these roles because of their seeming mundanity, but imagine what kind of havoc a knowledgeable player could bring to his fellow players in a multiplayer situation should the desire arise? Heaven forbid! Cyberpunk is challenging enough as it is. BTW, I'll pit a well connected Fixer or skilled Net runner to any Joe solo any day. Good luck, choomba...You're going to need it and all of the Medtechs you just ticked off too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom