How to kill the Pedell (caretaker in HoS) on Deathmarch

+
I have read a few tips on the internet, but none of them really helped me. However, I figured out a good strategy to make the combat much easier, so I wanted to share it. Apart from the usual tips like using relic oil and Quen I recommend this:

- Use a runestone on your sword that makes him bleed. It can deal quite a lot of damage to him.
- Now this is the most important strategy: The Pedell is most vulnerable when he has slammed his shovel into the ground and you can provoke him to do that frequently. Just throw an Igni firestorm at him and then immediately dodge or roll away, because then he will most certainly ram his shovel into the ground. Afterwards he will be stuck for a few seconds giving you the opportunity to land up to 4 fast attacks on him. So try to use the Igni firestorm as often as possible to provoke this attack, when you have a close but safe distance to him. This allows you to cause a lot of damage to him within short time.
- Before the Pedell rams his shovel in the ground it glows blue, so you have a short time window to roll behind his back. In that area his attack will not cause damage to you and you can immediately start hitting him before he frees himself. Only if you are in front of him in blue glowing cone-shaped zone you get damaged.
- It seems like the Pedell gets stronger and more damage resistance each time he steals life by hitting someone. So if he manages to score too many hits and if you notice him becoming extremly strong, then reload the savefile instead of fighting against an extremly strong enemy.
- During combat the Pedell summons ghosts near the graveyard, after the area is filled by some black smoke. Then he will farm them for his lifesteal. So try to fight him in a place that is more distant from the graves, which gives you more time to kill the ghosts before the Pedell does it. Also cast an alternate Yrden sign (magic turret) near the graveyard, which will kill a few ghosts automatically for you since they can be killed by only one hit.

Thanks for sharing! These are all very good tips! Although I was aware of most of these already, I hadn't considered the runestone before -- something for my next fight (which is approaching). I also hadn't noted the increase in strength when he hits Geralt, but I'll keep that in mind. My usual policy has been to keep as far away as possible from the brute, and strike when he's stuck. This creature remains one of the most challenging for me, even though I always play on Blood and Broken Bones.

I find that fight very easy even on DM, with a combat build (which is what I always play). Rend works wonders when he has his shovel stuck in the ground (but regular strong attacks do as well), and dodging (not rolling) is enough to avoid his swinging and charging attacks.

He only ever seems to resurrect corpses thrice during the fight, so I don't stress about killing the things before he can. I do if I'm close to them but if I'm not I may just let him do his thing.

I don't keep any UI enabled so I don't see his HP bar, which means I don't know if he gets more resilient after re-slaying corpses, but I haven't noticed any difference.

I actually genuinely enjoy dodge dancing around him when he's doing the swing attacks. I like to think he finds it extremely frustrating, missing over and over again. :D

(The toad is the toughest non-optional HoS boss for me, by far.)

The toad is the toughest non-optional HoS boss for me, by far.
If you like I can add a thread about the Toad Prince as well, but I can tell you already that the trick is simply to use alternate Yrden. Once he is hit by the magic turret he will be trapped for a while, which makes the fight significantly easier. I did not find this out myself however. It was someone on youtube who fought the Toad.

Edit: If someone is interested I can upload a video about the fight against Pedell.

Last edited:
True, a lot really depends on the character built. Caretaker was a lot tougher than Toad for me. But yeah, it‘s doable on DM.

Top Bottom