How to make Gwent the best card game ever!

+

What is the best Gwent?

• Witcher Gwint

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Closed Beta Gwent

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Pre-Midwinter-Open-Beta Gwent

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Post-Midwinter-Open-Beta Gwent

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Homecoming

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Open beta Gwent + Some changes like suggested in this thread

Votes: 6 10.0%

• Total voters
It is half a year since the release of Homecoming and a good time to review the state of the game as a whole.

I played Gwent since early closed Beta, having around 600 hours of play time in Gwent and thousands of hours more in other CCGs. After CDPR revealed Homecoming one year ago, I played all possible other card games: MTG, Artifact, Hearthstone, Yugioh, Faeria, KeyForge, and even Pokemon cards. All of those games are great (except Artifact maybe lol). But in my opinion, none of those games have the potential, that I saw and still see in Gwent.

In this thread, I want to discuss with you the most important problems that old Gwent had and think about how Homecoming tried to solve these problems and which new problems it created. Most importantly, I will introduce some ideas, how those problems could have been solved in Gwent differently, making it into a much better experience, as it ever was, without removing key concepts like silver spies, thinning and weather.
Let’s get started :)

The most important problems of Gwent were:
  1. Card Advantage: Unfair Coinflip and Silver Spies
  2. Dry Passing
  3. Thinning
  4. The One card Round 3 finisher
  5. Rows and Weather
Problems:
1. Card advantage: Unfair Coinflip and Silver Spies

Since early closed beta, one of the major issues of old Gwent was the unfairness of the coin flip. The player that started had a massive disadvantage. How should we “Fix the Coinflip”?
Another obvious problem was the silver spies. In high level old Gwent, it was mandatory to draw the spy to win the game. They were the most powerful cards and in the last Meta stages, the game was centered around playing those spies.

Since Homecoming, the starting player gets the artifact “Tactical Advantage”, and more mulligans. The problem with the silver spies was solved by removing them from the game. Although both problems have been solved by this, the complete removal of the silver spies, the probably most interesting card concepts of the game, does not feel satisfying.

My idea to solve this: Spies should be removed from the collections. Instead, the player who starts gets the factions silver spy in his hand as one of his 10 cards (the strength of the spy has to be adjusted to a fair, balanced value, of course).
I wonder why this easy move never appeared in the discussion. It solves both problems in an extremely elegant way. The first player has a risky opportunity to get back his card disadvantage and the game is fair, staying exciting and strategic at the same time.

2. Dry Passing

Dry Passing the second (or sometimes the first) round was probably the most common strategy in old Gwent. Most games had only 2 rounds being played. To return to the essence of a game where you want to play three rounds and win two of them CDPR wanted to do something against drypassing.
With Homecoming the players got a hand card limit. They successfully eliminated dry passing with this change….BUT

With the hand card limit, they created a lot of new problems, making the game (in my view) much less strategic, intuitive and fun to play. In Gwent, you used to wait for the one mistake of your opponent to punish him for getting card advantage and at the same time having the fear he might have tricked you and is getting the card advantage. In my opinion, the hand card limit (together with the removal of the silver spies) leads to a game where you do not really have to be afraid to get punished for your mistakes and it removes a lot of fun and excitement of the first two rounds. Getting or losing card advantage is almost impossible, making the game feel linear.

CDPR could just release cards that counter drypassing, instead of removing it from the game. For example , just one bronze card with the effect: “If the opponent passes and did not play any card this round, play this card from your hand” could be enough.
I think simply removing the hand limit would make the game already much better again.There were Metas in the history of Gwent where Drypassing was neither a big deal, nor a good turn. I am not sure if dry passing is a toxic mechanic at all or a healthy valuable possible turn.

3. Thinning was too powerful

In competitive old Gwent, the choice of which decks are playable were highly determined by their thinning potential. In order to get all of your gold cards and your finishing combo, you had to thin your deck, up to the last cards. The game was too much centered to the thinning.
In Homecoming, they removed the mechanic from the game with deleting most card effects that search for cards in the deck or making their provision costs extremely high.
The problem I have with this is: Thinning or searching for some cards from your deck was an incredibly fun and strategic mechanic. Your deck was more like a resource and you would try to get the right card at the right time out of your deck.

I do not think thinning should be removed from the game. Instead, the problem of thinning being overpowered can be simply solved with some new cards: Release some new card effects, to make thinning worse.
For example:
“Damage/Boost a Unit by 1 every time your opponent plays a card from the deck.”
“Boost self by 2 at the end of your turn, if you didn’t play any card from your deck this turn.”
“Deploy: Damage a unit/ Boost self by x, where x is the difference of cards in your deck and the opponents.”

4. The One card Round 3 finisher

Game plans in old Gwent were often quite similar. People would use the first two rounds to set up the last finisher, which was in most cases one or two buffed cards, Ciri-Nova or some other 1 or 2 card combo.
In Homecoming, the player draws 3 cards in the last round instead of 1, making the round longer, allowing different strategies than a one card finisher to be playable.
Also, the hand card limit and the additional 3 cards in the second round help to achieve that. This leads to the following problems.In old Gwent, you were forced to make your whole game plan in the beginning of the game, knowing that you will not draw much more than the cards you already have. In Homecoming it does not feel like I have to make my plan at the beginning already, because I will draw 6 more cards plus additional mulligans later on. Also, the number of turns and eventually the length of a game increases.

Still, I agree with letting the player draw additional cards in round three. But I don’t see the need to let them draw also more cards in round 2. How about a draw of +1/+2 , +0/+2, +1/+3 or +0/+3 (and maybe start with 9 cards plus leader in first round).

5. Rows and Weather feel unnecessary:

Old Witcher Gwint was all about weather and putting your units into the right rows. Still, there were lots of problems with weather in the long history of Gwent and the cards slowly changed from cards with fixed positions to flexible positions. At the same time, weather was nerfed again and again, making weather and rows feeling extremely unnecessary.

In Homecoming, CDPR decided to delete one row and create effects that only trigger in the melee or the ranged row. Also, they created the key word “reach”. With this, they wanted to simplify the game with deleting an unnecessary row and to give the remaining rows stronger meaning.
In my opinion, the attempt to give the rows a meaning, again, failed.
And about weather: They basically removed it from the game. There are some decks playing weather, but it is just a really unimportant side thing.

Here is my idea to fix this issue:
Let the game start with weather on the board. The melee Row may have a weather: “Every unit placed here gets boosted by 1” And the siege row has the Weather “Every unit placed here gets damaged by 1”.
This simple tweak gives rows and weather a meaning again. Players now can choose overextending the melee row for getting small boosts or playing to other rows.
You can also think about different fields with different starting weather. Also, there should be more weather manipulating effects, added to the game. Maybe it should be possible to have multiple weather effects at one row? And maybe first light should only be able to clear one row? And maybe more interesting Weather effects should be added? Maybe two frosts on a row combine to a really strong white frost? Maybe card effects that move a weather - maybe even from your row to the opponent row should be added? There are lots of different ideas to make rows and weather important and fun again!

Conclusion:

In conclusion, I respect the idea and the bravery to release Homecoming with the release of Gwent a lot. It was a risky decision and most publishers would have never had the courage to do that.
Homecoming also aimed to fix all the problems old Gwent had and it brought new features as well. Still, as I showed in my post, it fixed most problems with removing some of the most interesting features from the game, making the game a much less fun, exciting and strategic experience. (Compared to the release of HC the game is much better now though!) Also, I am not sure which target group Homecoming wanted to aim for, because it is less intuitive (bad for casual players) and less complex/strategic (bad for hardcore players).

Anyway, this post is not there to compare Homecoming to old Gwent but to point out that all the problems, Gwent used to have, could and can be solved by little but important changes as shown and some new card effects.

I honestly think CDProjectRed should consider going back to the rules of old Gwent, and also apply changes like suggested, “Keep the cool new features and interface and make it the best Collectable Card Game that exists!”

#MakeGwentGreatAgain

Last edited:
1. Can you explain what Silver spies are for us, post-HC players?
2. Again, I don't really remember anything from beta (since I played for an hour or so), so I can't really say how strategic it was back then, but I have to agree, in most cases I have the same strategy for all the rounds (when is it worth to pass the opponent and other shenanigans). And playstyle only changes if you want to bleed out your opponent in the second round.
3. The one type of RNG I always like in card games: You will almost never draw out all of the cards you have in deck which provides some degree of unceirtainty for next rounds (especially with increased card draws in R2 and R3) which you have to take into account. I believe thinning is a great tactic of increasing your chances for specific cards, as long as it doesn't let you to get through all the deck. And if possible never provide Neutral auto-include thinning tools like Witcher trio was. I started to get bored with the game (with non-Arena game that is) due to almost every dick playing Witchers and roach which was extremely boring. Their nerf was the best thing that could happen since they are one of those cards that you can play in all decks or you don't want to play them anywhere.
TL;DR I believe nerfing thinning to oblivion is good HC thing.
4. I feel I elaborated quite a lot on this in point 3 and am OK with how things are now. If you want to reduce card draw you have to increase thinning. It is up to CDPR to decide which is favoured by them more. I'm kinda glad they decided they like increased card draw more (or if they plan to revert focus back to thinning I just hope that every faction will have their specific thinning tools, but anyhow, I believe it would make games more predictable and similar, rather than diverse).
5. Agreed, weathers and rows aren't used much, and I believe it would be fun to test your proposal of a random weather effect throughout all the game (though it would again add more RNG to the game which would make many players unhappy), and stacking weathers should really be a thing (raining and having everything freeze over = why not?). If they really feel like it I guess they could easily test this one in a seasonal mode or have a random event that lasts a week where they can test stuff like this.

Anyhow, nice write-up and nice points, but there are many references to beta gwent which some of us aren't familiar with and we can't comment much on it. And only answer I can provide to the poll is HC Gwent because of that xD

More thoughts that didnt fit in the initial Post:

6. Gwent is barely Balancable

While balancing is an issue in every game, it is especially a hard problem in Gwent. The game is probably impossible to balance, since cards basically have only one value - the strength (and an effect of course). Homecoming tried to fix this problem with giving the cards another value - the provision cost.
I love the idea of provision costs. It is creative, interesting and makes deck building more complex. However, the increased complexity is also the problem: Deck building is much more complicated and takes MUCH more time than before.

I personally think the idea of provision cost is good, but the range of different costs is too large. The point is that, 11 kinds of different provision cost (from 4 to 14) is super unintuitive, and makes the decks really hard to build and even harder to change. It also incentivises players to put a lot of really boring 4 and 5 provision cost cards into the deck. Those cards are much more boring than any bronze card players would have ever put into their deck in Gwent.

I think something in between the old and the new system would be interesting. A system that combines the good aspects of the provision system and the simplicity of the old system. Having provision costs, but not so many different kind?. Maybe making one type of cards than can be put 3 times in the deck like old bronze and another type of cards that can be put only two times in the deck? Maybe those bronze cards should have a provision cost of 0? Or just go back to the old system entirely? Adding More card types to bronze silver and gold? I think there are a lot of better possibilities than the current state.

But the main problem of a game that is extremely hard to balance is not solved by any of these ideas.
In my view, the only possible solution for this is to patch the game a lot, frequently. Gwent has to be patched it like a Moba every few weeks. Add 5-10 cards every 3 weeks and change another 10 cards that dominated the game in the last weeks.

Other new things that came with HC:

1. Artifacts: Basically like monsters, but without strength and indestructible except with the text “destroy an artifact”.
The whole mechanic does not feel fun. It feels like a bad replacement for weathers. Also, it removes some of Gwents simplicity and uniqueness of not having anything except units and special cards.

2. More actions during the turn: also removes some of the simplicity and uniqueness of the game without adding strategic depth.. In my view, it feels unnecessary. Especially because most effects you can play from the board are boring like “boost target unit by 1” or “Damage target unit by 1”.

3. Style:
Personally, I think a simple but strategic card game belongs on a board like it used to be. The illustrators and animators made an amazing job with the field in Homecoming, but it simply does not fit to a calm, strategic game. Hearthstone nailed it with creating this tavern atmosphere and Gwent and MTG-Arena did a good job following this.

4. After deleting all the awesome cards of old Gwent, CDPR released lots of new cards with New Effect Keywords, especially with the new expansion. A lot of them are really nice. There are some new complex and interesting new effects! Definitely add them to Gwent!

5. Interface + New Game Modes + Mastery System
The new interface with the deck builder, shop and everything is amazing and has really good quality! The new features like Seasonal Mode and the mastery tree to get the leaders is also really cool!

Could you please specify "open beta gwent + some changes..." a little bit more. I'm confused, which rules apply to this version (2/3 bronze copies, 2/3 rows, .....)

Hey, DrakeTurtle, thank you for creating this thread. That's so much more healthy than just complaining and wishing "the old times back". That's also the reason for my likes on your posts.

I don't know anything about silver cards, so the concept should be explained more detailed, before people can actually take part. Else this thread will turn into just another "old beta gwent players" only section, which doesn't make much sense.

In terms of style, that's way too subjective to be argued. For example, I never liked any of the old school 2D styles of other CCGs. Hearthstone (and this japanese CCG, was it Artifact?) is too colourful for me and it has this childish manga look. The Witcher Gwent was just ugly, like the 3-week-creation of a one-man-indie developer. TES:Legends looks way more adult, but it's still too old-school. But when I saw current Gwent, it felt exactly right! I even like the idea of themed boards, but also the card design and draw animations. I don't care much for animated cards, and the effect/audio disaster with heavy charge decks should be toned down, but overall it is just fine as it is right now.

1. Can you explain what Silver spies are for us, post-HC players?
2. Again, I don't really remember anything from beta (since I played for an hour or so), so I can't really say how strategic it was back then, but I have to agree, in most cases I have the same strategy for all the rounds (when is it worth to pass the opponent and other shenanigans). And playstyle only changes if you want to bleed out your opponent in the second round.
3. The one type of RNG I always like in card games: You will almost never draw out all of the cards you have in deck which provides some degree of unceirtainty for next rounds (especially with increased card draws in R2 and R3) which you have to take into account. I believe thinning is a great tactic of increasing your chances for specific cards, as long as it doesn't let you to get through all the deck. And if possible never provide Neutral auto-include thinning tools like Witcher trio was. I started to get bored with the game (with non-Arena game that is) due to almost every dick playing Witchers and roach which was extremely boring. Their nerf was the best thing that could happen since they are one of those cards that you can play in all decks or you don't want to play them anywhere.
TL;DR I believe nerfing thinning to oblivion is good HC thing.
4. I feel I elaborated quite a lot on this in point 3 and am OK with how things are now. If you want to reduce card draw you have to increase thinning. It is up to CDPR to decide which is favoured by them more. I'm kinda glad they decided they like increased card draw more (or if they plan to revert focus back to thinning I just hope that every faction will have their specific thinning tools, but anyhow, I believe it would make games more predictable and similar, rather than diverse).
5. Agreed, weathers and rows aren't used much, and I believe it would be fun to test your proposal of a random weather effect throughout all the game (though it would again add more RNG to the game which would make many players unhappy), and stacking weathers should really be a thing (raining and having everything freeze over = why not?). If they really feel like it I guess they could easily test this one in a seasonal mode or have a random event that lasts a week where they can test stuff like this.

Anyhow, nice write-up and nice points, but there are many references to beta gwent which some of us aren't familiar with and we can't comment much on it. And only answer I can provide to the poll is HC Gwent because of that xD

Thank you for your Answer! Youre right I forgot people here dont know some of the old things so I should explain some more!
1. The silver spies: Every faction had a "silver spy" with 13 strength and basically the effect "draw a card". So you gain -13 points but draw a card in return.
2. I think regarding this it is really similar now like in the beta.
3. I totally agree with the witchers being overpowered auto-include, boring cards! The Thinning from old gwent that I miss was something like: "Look at 2 random bronze alchemy cards from your deck and play one of them." It was interesting because it involved some statistics and gives you exciting moves.
4. It is a good point of yours that it is a trade of of thinning and drawing cards! :)
(I prefer thinning though, as long as it is good, strategic thinning not witcher thinning xD)
5. I also think random weathers throughout the game would be too much RNG. I mean more like some (not too strong) weathers could be on the game board at the start of a round to give the rows a meaning again.
Thank you for your comment!
Post automatically merged:

Could you please specify "open beta gwent + some changes..." a little bit more. I'm confused, which rules apply to this version (2/3 bronze copies, 2/3 rows, .....)

Hi and thanks for your comment!
With "Open beta Gwent + Some changes like suggested in this thread" I mean the last state of open Beta (like one day before Homecoming) with the changes I suggest in my post. I know it is too long to read it hahaa. Open Beta ended with Homecoming. Two bronze cards in a deck and 2 rows both belong only to Homecoming.
Post automatically merged:

Hey, DrakeTurtle, thank you for creating this thread. That's so much more healthy than just complaining and wishing "the old times back". That's also the reason for my likes on your posts.

I don't know anything about silver cards, so the concept should be explained more detailed, before people can actually take part. Else this thread will turn into just another "old beta gwent players" only section, which doesn't make much sense.

In terms of style, that's way too subjective to be argued. For example, I never liked any of the old school 2D styles of other CCGs. Hearthstone (and this japanese CCG, was it Artifact?) is too colourful for me and it has this childish manga look. The Witcher Gwent was just ugly, like the 3-week-creation of a one-man-indie developer. TES:Legends looks way more adult, but it's still too old-school. But when I saw current Gwent, it felt exactly right! I even like the idea of themed boards, but also the card design and draw animations. I don't care much for animated cards, and the effect/audio disaster with heavy charge decks should be toned down, but overall it is just fine as it is right now.

Hey and thanks for the reply!
1. Thank you! I also hope this threat remains healthy!
2. I definitely should have explained that! Silver cards in general were basically the same as gold cards. The silver spies were really special cards. Every faction had a "silver spy" with 13 strength and basically the effect "draw a card". So you gain -13 points but draw a card in return.
3. I absolutely agree that the graphic is a subjective thing and I should have deleted it from the post. The best thing would probably be that people can buy some calm board game fields like they can already buy different battlegrounds. Or it should be possible in the settings. I think the darkness of the fields is depressing me a bit when I play hahaa.
4. I will definitely check out TES:Legends! Somehow did not play that one.

Last edited:
While I enjoy Homecoming a lot, there are a few things that bother me about it. Like the amount of randomness and removal. It's not a very big issue I guess but there's too much of it in some decks/archetypes. I think the golden age of Gwent was the two months before Midwinter. I remember loving that game so much. If pre-Midwinter is #1 then Homecoming is #2. It's almost perfect to me but it's still missing some things for it to be completely enjoyable.

For example, I love the new deck builder and all the lore trees they added. I'm a sucker for that stuff. The third row is definitely missed but I feel like the game does make more sense this way.

Last edited:
Anyway, this post is not there to compare Homecoming to old Gwent but to point out that all the problems, Gwent used to have, could and can be solved by little but important changes as shown and some new card effects.

Heh... most of the problems in old Gwent, depending on which version of beta "old Gwent" means, were self-inflicted. Case and point, coin-flip, issues caused by tutor/thin cards, CA spies and R1 dry-passing. Some of these problems didn't exist for a large part of beta (R1 dry-passing, too much consistency). Others were a much smaller issue during certain points in beta (coin flip, spies). These problem areas were created or became magnified as a direct result of changes made to the game.

To pick one... Coin flip will always be an issue for several reasons. It's still a problem in HC. Tactical Advantage didn't solve any of the problems caused by coin flip. All it did was make it more difficult to exploit and amplify them into a much larger advantage. This is why coin flip turned into such a huge problem in the first place. Players gained more ability to exploit the flip and turn it into a much larger advantage. It's also where R1 dry-passing came from.

I'm not sure if CDPR didn't understand why these problems became such a... problem or they wanted to take the game in a certain direction and doing so required making the changes responsible for them. It was sad to see them sacrifice areas of depth by outright removing or marginalizing them in an attempt to course correct.

In any case it's probably water under the bridge at this point. This type of stuff isn't going to return to the style found in beta without another over-haul. It may not even matter because HC, like every version of Gwent from CB until now, has a respectable foundation to build upon. The question isn't what should have been done. It's what they should do going forward.

In my view, the only possible solution for this is to patch the game a lot, frequently.

Yes please. Consistent updates is probably the one thing this game has needed the most. HC has done a much better job in this regard. The changes themselves are a different discussion entirely :).

To add to the "things needing to happen" list.... armor comes to mind. Not shield because it's a half-assed version of armor. Armor. Feel free to cut both immunity (promote 2.0) and shield and replace them with armor for a 2 for 1 :).

"Old Gwent" had bronze, silver and gold card tiers. Decks had a minimum card requirement, as they do now, but could only carry 6 silvers and 4 golds. With 3 bronze copies decks were largely built from the bottom up. So you would pick out a bronze core as a deck concept then pick out silvers and golds fitting that concept.

The difference with HC is most decks are built from the top down. For the most part you pick out strong gold cards fitting a certain concept as your deck core then fill in with other golds and bronzes. Instead of a bronze, silver, gold structured card tier it uses the provision system. Granted, part of the deck building is based on the reduction of bronze copies from 3 to 2. Still, the provision system largely pushes it more toward a top down deck build approach.

Without sounding like I am bashing HC, I preferred the old system. Primarily because it was more structured. Also because it was arguably better balanced. There is less need to consider how a gold card may interact with other cards when you can only run 4 of them, for instance. In other words, you gain more granularity in card balance with the provision system but also more room for error. It's also because I have reason to believe the main drive behind the provision system is more to provide an easy tuning dial, not necessarily because it offers more granularity in card balance. Changes since HC released have bolstered that suspicion.

Without sounding like I am bashing HC
You don't! You explained the old system and why you prefer it. Thats anything else than bashing!

What I like about Gwent after HC is that there is so much less randomness compared to other CCGs. Instead of drawing a card per turn, you play with a set you selected and only draw inbetween rounds (discard decks is another story). Yet there is flexibility. I can't tell how many times I switched my strategy mid-game as a reaction to an unexpected behaviour of my opponent. This would be totally lost with the randomness of constantly drawing cards.

You are right with the deckbuilding. It starts at preferred golds. But that doesn't make bronze cards unimportant. Some of my best cards are bronze, because they can burn 4x more points from the opponent, than they bring in themselves. And with some bronze combos I feel it could be op to have three instead of two in the deck. But of course, I don't know if bronze cards were less powerful in the beta.

Many players just use a card for immediate return, be it damage, locking, etc. But the rewards are much higher if you think long term. Given the cards on your hand are fitting (which of course isn't always the case) the rewards of this long term thinking are much higher. Sometimes I think I can tell Hearthstone players in Gwent. Because you can lure them so easily. They just need to see a charge on a card and jump on it with their damaging or locking gold card. But in this scenario I don't play a charge deck, and they could easily tell (let's say I play a ST deck). But they are not thinking ahead.

What I want to say with this is, I wouldn't enjoy a Gwent that's based on this short term gameplay.

What I like about Gwent after HC is that there is so much less randomness compared to other CCGs. Instead of drawing a card per turn, you play with a set you selected and only draw inbetween rounds (discard decks is another story). Yet there is flexibility. I can't tell how many times I switched my strategy mid-game as a reaction to an unexpected behaviour of my opponent. This would be totally lost with the randomness of constantly drawing cards.

I couldn't speak to other CCG's but the problem I have with HC in terms of randomness is the way every game seems to rely upon key cards or combos going off or getting disrupted ("value" decks are possibly the lone exception). These cards and combos are so powerful it's a real problem when you fail to draw them. Likewise, it's a real problem when you fail to draw the right cards to stop them. Given the way most usable thin/tutor cards work, and the reduced number, the same applies to thinning a deck.

Don't pull tall removal against point vomit and you can be in trouble. Don't pull the right cards to stop Hubert setup cards and you might eat a 400 point finisher to the grill. Don't find GY consume in a MS point vomit deck and you can't revomit the points from your original point vomit. Rely on a big finisher and don't draw it and it's a real problem. Find all your bronze cards R3 and you might lose because of it. Oh, you want to thin your deck so you don't have a bronze hand and golden deck R3 huh? Too bad, all your thin tools are at the bottom of your deck. You wanted to mulligan a 4p bronze card? Congratulations, you can have it back next round, mulligan it again please. The list goes on....

This type of stuff is far less influential when the value output across the card pool is closer together. When the game is less about finding that one single god tier card to blast a board, pair with your play of the month, 40 pt swing combo or killing everything the opponent puts on a board it's less of a problem. Unfortunately, this means the tournament announcer can't have a cardgasm when Traheaern murders Shupe. So I suppose it's viewed as less exciting.

P.S. Removing key cards from the game because they had the right deck position when you played your "high roll into removing a key card in the opponent deck from the game" card doesn't make it more better or skill based. And create leaders certainly don't sound in line with the HC letter.

What I want to say with this is, I wouldn't enjoy a Gwent that's based on this short term gameplay.

I don't count the abomination known as Midwinter, so keep that in mind. For a large part of beta it felt like there were more... options. It was more about outplaying the opponent consistently over a game. The passing game felt more fluid. CA was a major consideration on every single card play. At various points they started getting away from this and, in my opinion, the game was worse off because of it. At this point I don't think HC stopped moving it away from... that. I'll go out on a limb and say most people disappointed with the current game are upset because it doesn't feel like that anymore. So if anything can be changed to get it back to that it would be great.

I couldn't speak to other CCG's but the problem I have with HC in terms of randomness is the way every game seems to rely upon key cards or combos going off or getting disrupted ("value" decks are possibly the lone exception). These cards and combos are so powerful it's a real problem when you fail to draw them. Likewise, it's a real problem when you fail to draw the right cards to stop them. Given the way most usable thin/tutor cards work, and the reduced number, the same applies to thinning a deck.
Absolutely true. Sometimes I know exactly what is coming, and also know how to counter it, but alas, the cards are not on my hand. That is frustrating, because, as you said, those combos can sometimes mean you already lost the round at that point. That doesn't happen too often, but I also would like to see combos giving advantages, while not being sole gamebreakers.

This type of stuff is far less influential when the value output across the card pool is closer together. When the game is less about finding that one single god tier card to blast a board, pair with your play of the month, 40 pt swing combo or killing everything the opponent puts on a board it's less of a problem. Unfortunately, this means the tournament announcer can't have a cardgasm when Traheaern murders Shupe. So I suppose it's viewed as less exciting.
Agreed! Less "excitement", more closer together. A victory should feel hard earned at all times. But some cards or combos allow you to just play without thinking too much, because you know beforehand you'll put 50 points (or whatever else) on the board with your last turn. And all you needed to do for this is gathering scraps.

It was more about outplaying the opponent consistently over a game.
That indeed sounds exciting to me. As long as we don't go back completely, this is something I'd like to see for the future as well. But 2 rows, no silver cards, the current drawing system, the Crimson Curse abilities like bleeding, that all appeals to me (and the graphics, but that's too subjective to bring in)

If pre-Midwinter is #1 then Homecoming is #2. It's almost perfect to me but it's still missing some things for it to be completely enjoyable.

Im happy to see there are people who played the closed Beta and do enjoy Homecoming!
I agree with the two months before Midwinter being the golden age of Gwent. But I think they could have made post-Midwinter even better just with frequent balancing patches.

Im happy to see there are people who played the closed Beta and do enjoy Homecoming!
I agree with the two months before Midwinter being the golden age of Gwent. But I think they could have made post-Midwinter even better just with frequent balancing patches.

I do enjoy Homecoming quite a bit! At first I was so disappointed but I gave it a try and I found myself enjoying Gwent a lot. I do get frustrated sometimes but I hope those issues are fixed soon. I do take breaks from it from time to time because it's literally the only game that really grinds my gears lol. Idk if the old Gwent could have been fixed honestly but oh well, at least we have it now. :ok:

In other words, you gain more granularity in card balance with the provision system but also more room for error.

That's a good insight. However, trying to create card expansions based on the old bronze-silver-gold restriction would limit design space too much.

This type of stuff is far less influential when the value output across the card pool is closer together.

Or when cards have mana, which dictates the flow of the game. But having access to 50% of your cards from the start, kinda makes the game more... solved, for a lack of a better term. This, in theory, would fit more with the strategical aspect the game is marketed as, but, in practice, it doesn't work out as well. The rock-paper-scissors meta with the lack of viable fringe decks gravitates towards a stale meta, where the game becomes too binary in terms of match ups (and I am not talking about the upper echelon).

It was more about outplaying the opponent consistently over a game. The passing game felt more fluid. CA was a major consideration on every single card play.

Going first with a Silver spy against you quickly led to defeat. This popularized the dry-pass, which kinda beats the purpose of the rounds. In beta this was a big issue. The current implementation with the hand limit is far from perfect, but it's still better.

That's a good insight. However, trying to create card expansions based on the old bronze-silver-gold restriction would limit design space too much.

It would limit design space but I'm not sure this would be a bad thing. The balance jumped all over the place as far back as CB. If they couldn't nail it down then how are they expected to do it with more variables thrown into the mix? More room to design and adjust cards or concepts sounds great on paper. Developers protecting themselves from themselves doesn't tend to enter the equation. Perhaps it should.

Or when cards have mana, which dictates the flow of the game. But having access to 50% of your cards from the start, kinda makes the game more... solved, for a lack of a better term. This, in theory, would fit more with the strategical aspect the game is marketed as, but, in practice, it doesn't work out as well. The rock-paper-scissors meta with the lack of viable fringe decks gravitates towards a stale meta, where the game becomes too binary in terms of match ups (and I am not talking about the upper echelon).

Yeah, in Midwinter solved would be a good way to describe the meta. Having so much consistency is a bad thing for this reason. The thing is I don't think we need that much consistency for the game to feel closer to a skill based, strategic card game. As long as it's more methodical and less emphasis is placed on key cards. Failing to draw the perfect cards is less of an issue when they are less influential on the final outcome.

Going first with a Silver spy against you quickly led to defeat. This popularized the dry-pass, which kinda beats the purpose of the rounds. In beta this was a big issue. The current implementation with the hand limit is far from perfect, but it's still better.

I hate to revisit this particular discussion. Regardless, yes spies could be abused to gain card advantage. The fact remains spies only became an enormous issue when on-demand, huge tempo became a thing. Before that failing to draw your spy to counter-spy, or at least finding it at some point during the game, meant you were at worst going to be forced out of a round. When that changed is the point when people started dry-passing R1 as blue to avoid getting forced into a scenario where the choices were to win down 2 cards or lose at even cards. Before this point if you got hit with a spy and couldn't respond it was nearly always safe to pass. Typically, this was the response.

If you were to say forcing the other player out of a round with a spy like this was a problem, okay. I could see that. I'd disagree because you could still outplay the other player in the other two rounds. After all, you need to win 2 rounds to take the game. I could understand that position though.

If you want to say spies limited the amount of blind point vomit the game could have in it, and by extension the "design space", fine. There I'd vehemently disagree because I don't think blind point vomit improves the game. It pushes it more toward the way the draws work out, in terms of finding the right cards or counters at the right time.

In regards to hand-limit, I fail to see how it really addressed the coin flip or the issues with spies in a good way. The issues with coin flip still exist. The only difference is the point where they are relevant occurs much later in a round. The other difference is there are less ways to exploit them because, well, CA generators were completely removed from the game. You can still exploit them with on-demand tempo or large point swings, however (which TA helps with... and is presumably why it exists). There is a lot more of that floating around. Our prize for this "fix" is CA stopped being relevant on every single card play.

The only real benefit to hand-limit is it prevents R1 dry-passing, which was a self-created problem by the developers, and it allows playing slower early into a round. Personally, I don't think it's a good trade. The loss to gain these advantages isn't worth it. I wouldn't fault anyone for disagreeing though :).

I do enjoy Homecoming quite a bit! At first I was so disappointed but I gave it a try and I found myself enjoying Gwent a lot. I do get frustrated sometimes but I hope those issues are fixed soon. I do take breaks from it from time to time because it's literally the only game that really grinds my gears lol. Idk if the old Gwent could have been fixed honestly but oh well, at least we have it now. :ok:

Exactly my thoughts! I hated the game at the release...but I said: this is the only card game I play, I'll give it a chance. I played only first tier per day (Win 6 rounds) and closed the game. Every day. (In the Open Beta I played at least 18 rounds win). But with the patches the game was getting better and better...and now I enjoy it again. It has it's flaws, sometimes it is really frustrating...but it's fine. This game is not "new player friendly" nor "Beta player friendly" IMO...you have to try hard and after a while you'll start enjoy it. Or leave it forever. I'm glad, I didn't choose the latter.

1. Increase hand size to remove RNG from killing your game with an ass-hand.
2. Bring back a third row, then make the rows MEAN something
3. Let Weather run throughout rounds; having it for 4 turns is just poor.
4. Read @4RM3D's comments on a much better mulligan system; the game is about deck building and not about lucky deals
5. Increase every single units STR by 2 to ensure removal is harder.
6. Add "crewed" or "manned" to artefacts - or remove them and instead add their effects to units to increase variety (i.e. Isengrim just does what Waylay does, but costs more provs, or DBSentry spawns an incinerating trap). This will increase viability over a lot more bronze "filler" and make it important to consider the bronzes. Perhaps bring back Silver.
7. Consider the coin-flip so if you go first R1, you automatically go first R3 - this would encourage more strategy and play in R2 and eliminate dry pass.
8. Concentrate on Lore; even if just swapping things like Brouver/Filavandrel's ability, make it consistent.

8 simple things. Yes, some cards would need to be re-worked, but do the above and you have a better game.

Please vote =)

For me i liked the old Beta gameplay more than the actual.
And i think it would be cool when cdr add the classical as an additional mode like the season.

Top Bottom