how to make money

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
how to make money

Is there some easier, legal way of making money? I am at level six, IIRC, and never seem to have more than 150 coins on hand. I collect stuff like Novogard longswords and bear hides, etc, but the prices the merchants want to pay is paltry. I sell a sword for <5 and have to pay 30-50 to have another repaired.

It doesn't add up.

PS when I went to post this the title was originally "making money". but I got a message saying that there was already a post with this title. I would have been happy to post it in the earlier thread but there was no link to that thread.

??

Is there some easier, legal way of making money? I am at level six, IIRC, and never seem to have more than 150 coins on hand. I collect stuff like Novogard longswords and bear hides, etc, but the prices the merchants want to pay is paltry. I sell a sword for <5 and have to pay 30-50 to have another repaired.

It doesn't add up.

PS when I went to post this the title was originally "making money". but I got a message saying that there was already a post with this title. I would have been happy to post it in the earlier thread but there was no link to that thread.

??

If you do all the side-quests, and don't go wasting your money left and right, you should have a solid 25K coins before you even get to Skellige. Just make sure to sell everything you don't need. Besides that, there really isn't any "good" way to make money, unless you mean farming, which I definitely wouldn't recommend.

Is there some easier, legal way of making money?

What do you mean by 'legal'? Without using cheat codes?

I collect stuff like Novogard longswords and bear hides, etc, but the prices the merchants want to pay is paltry. I sell a sword for <5 and have to pay 30-50 to have another repaired.

You have to know where to sell what. This is most important. For example, you don't want to sell swords to a herbalist or to sell bear hides to a swordsmith. A herbalist may offer you 10 crowns for a sword that you can sell for 40. Also different swordsmiths offer different prices. The best way, in my experience, is to sell most of the things in Novigrad. Weapons you should sell to the swordsmith bellow the Hierarch Square marker:

https://www.google.rs/imgres?imgurl...KrMAhVIEywKHWXYDwAQMwghKAcwBw&iact=mrc&uact=8

You should sell armor either at the same place or here:

https://www.google.rs/imgres?imgurl...KrMAhUBWCwKHSqwDHkQMwgfKAQwBA&iact=mrc&uact=8

You should sell hides also at the Hierarch Square to the merchant who isn't specified on the map. He is just across those dancers. This merchant as far as I remember offers the best prices for other things as well (monster parts for example). I think that the merchant at the Kingfisher Inn also offers high prices.

So, that is basically it. Loot EVERYTHING. Whenever you kill some bandits get their swords and fast-travel to Novigrad and sell them so they don't make up much of your inventory. Whenever you get into a house loot everything and you can send whatever junk you find.

If you want to 'farm' monster parts, you can also do that if you don't consider it 'cheating'. There is a cyclops in Skellige who respawns every time you meditate, so you can kill him, for example, 50 times, and then you can sell 50 cyclops' eyes that you have looted 50 times from him :D

But even with all this in mind, making money in the Witcher is slow. Yeah, after playing for a month you can end up with 100 000 crowns and it seems it was easy, but it actually wasn't. It is time-consuming and somewhat tedious.

Thank you.

But the question becomes "what don't you need?'

Also regarding side quests...is every notice on a bulletin board a quest? Some seem almost trivial or, for example one seemed like an offer of companionship IIRC or another seemed to be looking for work. And yet another seemed to be a warning to pay your taxes. I don't know what ones to take or disregard.

In my opinion, when it comes to weapons and armor - you don't need anything that isn't witcher gear, Except if maybe you really like how something looks or if something has good stats. But 95% of armor and swords in the game are safe to sell.
Almost all hides and similar things are safe to sell. What you don't want to sell are, for example, ekimara hides or troll livers. Because there is a limited amount of those monsters in the game and you need their monster parts to upgrade your potions or to forge witcher gear.

is every notice on a bulletin board a quest?

No. There are notices that are just put there by ordinary people for whatever reasons. If you pick all notices from the board at once, you will immediately be shown what quests you have picked. Also, some notices are for Gwent playing. I don't like to do this because, you can get quests which are designed for level 30 while you are level 10, so they just pile up and it just looks jammed. But it's your choice.

Thank you.

Also regarding side quests...is every notice on a bulletin board a quest? Some seem almost trivial or, for example one seemed like an offer of companionship IIRC or another seemed to be looking for work. And yet another seemed to be a warning to pay your taxes. I don't know what ones to take or disregard.

When you go to a notice board, there will generally be two quests and four fluff pieces. Take them all, just to be safe (There's no negative for doing so.).

Also, not all side-quests are on notice boards. A great many are found by roaming around. Although they ARE in set locations, I don't want to spoil to much of the game for you. :)

---------- Updated at 06:42 PM ----------

Also, only sell gear and weapons. Keep everything else, ESPECIALLY alchemy ingredients and crafting ingredients.

I've never been to Novigrad...can I still fast travel there?

I wish each quest came with a notice of the recommended level as it was accepted and displayed on your HUD. Several times I'v gotten into quests and found myself over my head. Sometimes too far into them to get out.

Side question...I finished Wandering in the Dark and left Kiera and the exit to the cave to find the Bloody Baron. While on my way there (round about) I discovered this isolated lodge and inside was Kiera. IIRC, she asked me what I was doing there and one of my dialogue options was something to the effect that she (or someone) had requested I be there. I assumed this meant it was part of a side quest and so left carefully , without touching anything, despite there being a tempting trap door at her feet. Was I right is this part of a yet undiscovered quest?

I've never been to Novigrad...can I still fast travel there?

You have to discover a fast-travel point in order to use it. It is not that big of a deal, you can just ride to Novigrad and discover the fast-travel point only to go there to sell your stuff. But you can also wait a bit, since after you finish with Velen (the Bloody Baron quest-line) your next stop is Novigrad.

I wish each quest came with a notice of the recommended level as it was accepted and displayed on your HUD. Several times I'v gotten into quests and found myself over my head. Sometimes too far into them to get out.

There is no going around this. The only way for you to know the recommended level is either to google it and then decide if you want to take it, or to make a save game and then if you don't want that quest you can load the save you made before taking the notice. You don't have to do the quest just because you have it in your journal, but as I said, they can get pretty jammed.

Side question...I finished Wandering in the Dark and left Kiera and the exit to the cave to find the Bloody Baron. While on my way there (round about) I discovered this isolated lodge and inside was Kiera. IIRC, she asked me what I was doing there and one of my dialogue options was something to the effect that she (or someone) had requested I be there. I assumed this meant it was part of a side quest and so left carefully , without touching anything, despite there being a tempting trap door at her feet. Was I right is this part of a yet undiscovered quest?

I'm not sure what you have in mind. Are you refering to the hut where Keira lives in Velen? If you have finished Wandering in the Dark then you must have visited Keira in that hut before. Have you helped Keira at the end of Wandering in the Dark? I mean
helping her find the lamp? If you have, then you should have a few more side-quests with her. I recommend that you do them because she can prove useful later on.

Don't worry, you can loot the hut and you can get inside that trap door. It is not related to any quest.

I'm not sure what you have in mind. Are you refering to the hut where Keira lives in Velen? If you have finished Wandering in the Dark then you must have visited Keira in that hut before. Have you helped Keira at the end of Wandering in the Dark? I mean
helping her find the lamp? If you have, then you should have a few more side-quests with her. I recommend that you do them because she can prove useful later on.

Don't worry, you can loot the hut and you can get inside that trap door. It is not related to any quest.

Yes, I helped her. I don't remember where I first found her but it seemed like she was in some sort of fancy tower. I don't think this hut / lodge Is anywhere I've been before...and she is talking to a shadow figure with the lamp. won't tell me what it's all about.

Yes, I helped her. I don't remember where I first found her but it seemed like she was in some sort of fancy tower. I don't think this hut / lodge Is anywhere I've been before...and she is talking to a shadow figure with the lamp. won't tell me what it's all about.

Yes you have. You have come to that 'fancy tower' through the hut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZE0WdBgAQo

As for the lamp - just keep going, everything should become clear after a while.

I just collected and sold unique/relic gear (mainly swords and breastplates), or whichever two highest end classes are. Usually I would get a nice piece of coin for them. Selling them was sometimes a PITA, because only vendors in big cities (best is Novigrad) have enough coin to buy them (without mods), so you had to travel there too (not a fan of fast travel), but in the end I had something around 100k in my pouch, which is more than enough.

TBH, I think that the mistake is in thinking you NEED money.

Once you hit around level 10, you don't have money problems any more. And before that, you shouldn't really need to be buying much. Basically, if you can't afford it, you almost certainly don't need it.

To me, the only "must have" purchases at the low levels are the crafting of the Viper Silver Sword, the purchase of saddlebags, and buying some saltpeter from Tomira so that I get bombs quickly for monster nests.

"Nice to have" - the Viper Steel Sword and alchemy recipes. But only if you have the cash. Everything else you need you can get by looting. And I don't loot houses unless they're either abandoned or I've just killed the occupants :)

For armour and weapon repairs, I do tend to buy the repair kits whenever they're available, or spend money getting equipped items repaired at an armourer/blacksmith, but with steel swords and armour, there's usually something new to equip by the time the old one wears out.

I only usually sell excess stuff from the equipment and junk tabs, but I hold onto everything in the junk tab that contains silver or dimeritium, just in case I need it later for crafting. Oh, and I sell glasses of beer.

My first "indulgence" purchase is usually the Level 10 Nilfgaardian set at Crow's Perch. And I can afford it by the time I'm able to wear it.

Last edited:
There is no going around this. The only way for you to know the recommended level is either to google it and then decide if you want to take it, or to make a save game and then if you don't want that quest you can load the save you made before taking the notice. You don't have to do the quest just because you have it in your journal, but as I said, they can get pretty jammed.

Uh...what? The recommended level for the quest is always displayed on the Quests page (Near your map.), given that there is a recommended level in the first place.

just do every side quest and mosnter conrtact you find, explore th whole map, loot, sell what you don't need, you will make a lot of money without even realize it

Uh...what? The recommended level for the quest is always displayed on the Quests page (Near your map.), given that there is a recommended level in the first place.

What I meant was there is no way of knowing what the recommended level for the quest is just by looking at the notice on the noticeboard. You don't know what the recommended level is before you pick up the notice. Of course, after you do, everything is clear. But it would perhaps be better if the actual notice on the board has a recommended level shown on it so you can decide whether you want to take it or not.

There can be a level 10 quest and a level 30 quest on the same notice board. Some people take them all at once, but I don't like to do it that way because the quest page then becomes very disorganized and littered with quest which will just stand there unfinished for weeks. This is of course my preference, everyone can do it their way.

What you need: most of the herbs you find; alchemist substances; iron; silver - stuff like that in order to create potions, bombs, armour etc.
Here's how I handle it: When I pick up a better sword than I have already equipped, I sell the old one. Be sure to sell swords and other weapons to a smith who forges weapons and sell armour that you don't need to the guy making armours. I usually make Geralt wear one armour and have a second one in my inventory as a backup; same with both silver and steel swords. As soon as I come across a better armour, I sell the one that's not as good; same with swords - ok, steel swords. I collect the silver ones and have them in a trunk even though I know I could make a lot of money by selling these. The steel swords I sell as soon as I get a better one.

Also, you'll find an awful lot of rune stones and glyphs - so many that you can sell a bunch of them because you'll never be able to equip them all. Be sure to sell them to a smith as well because they pay the most.

Herbalists will buy mutagenes and alchemy stuff but you usually need that yourself; also, you don't get much for mutagenes (5 pieces of money, I think).

Whatever you do don't sell alchemy/crafting ingredients. Pick up armour, weapons, junk(later on save them for leather), foreign monies, etc..

At level 53 I have 21,000 crowns, have exhausted my money to nothing multiple times, and I probably have at least quadruple that amount in materials.

As @Dragonbird said around level 10 and pushing it to 15 maybe, money stops being an issue.

Steal everything, and sell it all. Most of the relic swords that you get won't be as good as Witcher gear (well, not until the end game), so just sell them. Crafting components that you don't need should be sold, I had an overabundance of gems near the end of the game, so I just went around and sold them all, I had all the gear I needed and was not going to be crafting any new weapons or armor. Look for a guide that tells you which merchants pay you the most money for your items. Edit: I am playing on Death March right now, and I have a lot of emerald dust from killing wraiths,I'm never going to use it all, so I just sold a good portion of it. I'm level 10 and am sitting at a little over 5 grand now, I've yet to go to Novigrad to turn in my Orens and Florens.

Last edited:
I always kept like 6 dusts/sort in my inventory and sold the rest. It worked for me. But saving alchemy and crafting materials is wise too, specially at the beginning. You never know what you'll need later. Only sell those if desperate need of money. And if you sell, sell only common stuff that you find a lot. And always try to save at least 10 peaces of each. Selling regular armors and weapons is safe (not Wicher gear, 'cause you need those for upgrading). Equip best stuff and sell all the rest.

But basically, sell weapons to black smiths, armors to armorers, books to book store etc. At first they don't pay you that much, but at some point you are going to get so much money from your weapons and armors, that merchants constantly run out of money.

And when you get to Novigrad, remember to visit Vivaldi's bank and change coins from your inventory to usable currency!

Looting is good for money and food, but you can also find formulaes and recipes, so it's definitely worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom