How to make water flow through rivers

+
How to make water flow through rivers

I have followed Klabautermann's tutorial on how to make water, and have run into an issue trying to keep water flowing (river effect).

Here is a picture showing the issue I'm coming accross:

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj538/Troyberthaase/Untitled_zps7708d0e5.png

Basically, I find it hard to connect the different water meshes to eachother, to keep the water looking as if it is flowing down a curving path. I'm not sure if it is even possible, but thought I would ask.

I am guessing the correct method to use water is to just scale your water mesh larger to fit the lakes and canals, but what if you have rivers and lakes throughout your whole map, that are connected to eachother? Once scaling up to high, the waves and effects get distorted.

So, if anyone can help me with this I would be extremely greatful.

Thanks for reading

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
If on the same Z axis, there are artifacts between the 2 mesh, I guess Z fighting.

Does this artifact only occur in the editor, or is it present while playing?

Then your meshes are clipping into each other and you need to offset them a bit more.

Last edited:
Yes they should be lined up perfectly side by side and on the same Z axis. Like I did with my water, it lines up perfectly and looks good.

if you want to have water flowing along curves of river you can choose on of two approaches.

Create own water model with shape you want and with custom UVs telling how water should flow (easier approach)
or
You can create custom shader which will use something called flowmap. It gives better effects but it's harder. This approach is currently used by proffessional studios working on newest games.

Top Bottom