How to replace meshes in Witcher: enhanced edition?

+
Hii, I got the witcher enhanced edition, and was wondering about the process of replacing
character meshes.

I want to replace Triss' hair with some buns. I couldn't find any tutorials on how to do that though but
I found the witcher converter thing and I assumed this could help with the process, but, after I extracted
the main.key file and then tried to open one of the meshes for Triss it just says there was an unknown error.

Objects work fine though, I think the issue is with characters so.. I don't know if the converter was intended
for characters, but tell me if it's not, because I have no tutorial for the specific thing I want to do, so...
I might not need that program afterall, Idk.

I wouldn't know how I'd proceed once I do get the mesh though. Like how do I get the buns back into the witcher so Triss will
wear it in game? I have assumptions but I'm not sure. I'll use blender to make her buns, Idk if that's important but just in case.

Thanks. :p

Hi!

I never tried to replace meshes in The Witcher, but:

Here is D'jinni wiki. There is 'creating assets' section where you can find some descriptions about how to import objects to d'jinni. One is about from blender to d'jinni but static object.

This is the character exporting description. Problem is that I think this description is for 3ds max 9. So I never tried to do such a thing. But if you have the required program, I think it still achievable.

I used The witcher converter to export meshes to .obj format. Be sure to use the 'cm_triss1.mdb' instead 'cr_triss1.mdb'. Do the same with any other character model. There will be some strange objects on the character, these are so named 'shadowbones', you have to remove these manualy. @JLouisB said he would like to improve his program, to support skinned/rigged character export of his tool, but I don't know how this project going at the moment.

There is a method to get rigged models: here you can find files for blender 2.49. I used this, it works, there are some files what it can't handle, but most of the cases I can get the rigged mesh with it.

Hi!

I never tried to replace meshes in The Witcher, but:

Here is D'jinni wiki. There is 'creating assets' section where you can find some descriptions about how to import objects to d'jinni. One is about from blender to d'jinni but static object.

This is the character exporting description. Problem is that I think this description is for 3ds max 9. So I never tried to do such a thing. But if you have the required program, I think it still achievable.

I used The witcher converter to export meshes to .obj format. Be sure to use the 'cm_triss1.mdb' instead 'cr_triss1.mdb'. Do the same with any other character model. There will be some strange objects on the character, these are so named 'shadowbones', you have to remove these manualy. @JLouisB said he would like to improve his program, to support skinned/rigged character export of his tool, but I don't know how this project going at the moment.

There is a method to get rigged models: here you can find files for blender 2.49. I used this, it works, there are some files what it can't handle, but most of the cases I can get the rigged mesh with it.

Thank you for all the links. I read through all of them, but I have a few things I'm confused about -- you don't have to answer if you don't want to, though.

I converted Triss' mesh to an .obj file since blender can't read .mdb files, but I now probably have to convert her back to an .mdb file, right? But I have no idea how to do that. I found a plugin for converting to .mdb files, but it's not made for the witcher .mdb files, so it doesn't work with them.

I checked out the files on the xentax forums and I understand that the file posted by Szkaradek123 is some sort of plugin to import .mdb files into blender 2.49, is it possible to export as .mdb files with it too? I don't really understand how it works, sorry if I sound completely lost, I'm used to using blender 2.7 and the only other game I've made mods for before is the sims, so.. I'm a little confused.

Thanks. :)

Thank you for all the links. I read through all of them, but I have a few things I'm confused about -- you don't have to answer if you don't want to, though.

I converted Triss' mesh to an .obj file since blender can't read .mdb files, but I now probably have to convert her back to an .mdb file, right? But I have no idea how to do that. I found a plugin for converting to .mdb files, but it's not made for the witcher .mdb files, so it doesn't work with them.

I checked out the files on the xentax forums and I understand that the file posted by Szkaradek123 is some sort of plugin to import .mdb files into blender 2.49, is it possible to export as .mdb files with it too? I don't really understand how it works, sorry if I sound completely lost, I'm used to using blender 2.7 and the only other game I've made mods for before is the sims, so.. I'm a little confused.

Hi!

You can't convert it back to .mdb with blender, it's not so simple. I think the only way to do that is the method described in 'character exporting'. Szkaradek123's file is a blender file, what you can open with blender. It works with the 2.49 version, what you can find on blender.org.
Being lost: I was in the same shoes when I started making my mods. Was a lot of searching on the net and a lot of experimental.

Did you ever manage to figure it all out? Character meshes seems like an unknown zone, haven't seen much on it.

@merigolden As for the hair itself, it is possible ONLY by import export plugin to 3ds Max 9 but for now hair be stiff and without any physics (in this case it is dangly mesh like in Neverwinter Nights).

I haven't solved the rigging problem yet, characters are displayed correctly in Djinni, however, during the animation the skeleton does not interact with the mesh. Replacing Triss hair mesh can be a problematic because the main part of the hair is head model and a piece of head mesh would have to be removed.

Zrzut ekranu (118).png
Zrzut ekranu (117).png

Last edited:
Top Bottom