How To Solve Mulligans Once and For All

+
Okay guys, in the deck builder we would be allowed to choose our starting hand. That's right, no random starting hands at all, we choose exactly what we want.

But here's the thang tho, Skip... Once the game begins, our opponent gets to swap out 3 - 4 of our cards for random ones in our deck. Now, you may say... but hold on... then we have to reveal our entire hand to our opponent. I say, nay. because the cards themselves will be hidden... the only thing we'll be able to see when we are choosing which cards our opponent is going to mulligan... are their Provisions costs!!!e

Of course you may see an 11 and think Oh shit that's probably Geralt: Professional I need to get rid of it! Or maybe you LEAVE the 11 in their hand and just play around Geralt instead!

Think about this.

I'll continue, sometimes I make the mistake of not fleshing out my thoughts to others. Okay, the idea here is that yes everyone will have more consistent starts which some would say is a double edged blade. But I think it is for the best in this case because simply copying a top player's starting hand is only going to make you vulnerable to the SICKEST mulligans by your opponent. Therefore it would become prudent for players to customize their starting hands ANYWAY - therefore increasing the variety of starting hands that you will encounter on the ladder.

Which starting hand is best in which meta will also become a topic of contention. Anticipating which card your opponents will FEEL like they want to mulligan for you will also be a factor maybe you put a decoy 7 in your starting hand thinking your opponent will assume that it's Witcher Trio when it isn't. I think it introduces more variety, consistency, AND strategic depth to Gwent. But that's jus tlil ole me.

Last edited:
Yay so if a deck has 16 gold legendary cards 7-10 provision cost, redrawing 3-4 won't hurt
but if someone's playing one 14 card, that does a combo with Skellen idk 10pts and to draw them uses Witchers, Roach and maybe Edict, then you see 14,12,10,9 and the rest is just trash, so you remove ALL the important cards from this guy

Yay so if a deck has 16 gold legendary cards 7-10 provision cost, redrawing 3-4 won't hurt
but if someone's playing one 14 card, that does a combo with Skellen idk 10pts and to draw them uses Witchers, Roach and maybe Edict, then you see 14,12,10,9 and the rest is just trash, so you remove ALL the important cards from this guy

There is counter play at the deck buildling phase. Obviously if you parade all your trump cards in your starting hands looking to smoke out your opponent, people are going to catch on to that. Especially if the deck becomes popular. They'll be able to deduce what you are trying to do. But the same goes for you as well.

Of course with a change like this then CDPR would have to put provisions costs into even more careful consideration as teh number itself as a balance factor will be even greater, but I think they can manage to do that just fine. For example if an important card's is provision 12 in ST and it's too obvious at mulligan then they can just MAKE SOME MORE 12 PROVISION ST cards to aid the faction in hiding it a little bit.

What I meant is that some decks may be unplayable compared to others. Now rng touches everyone and every card in the same way. Having some selected cards in starting hand would make them stronger, so they'd need to be completely rebalanced only for being in starting hand.
Also rounding up provision values to SAME level just to cover a card smells like communism... Maybe if a player could choose whether to round up a card or not...

Also then the chance to draw the bronze "filler" cards would be much smaller than now

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
If you want to fix the mulligans, then this is not the way to do it. However, if you just want to introduce another level of control and the tactics that go with it, then it's an interesting suggestion. But be careful with the implications. This could very well break the game. At the very least, many cards need to be re-balanced. Is this worth all the risk and money? Probably not.

Just bring blacklisting back and I'm more than happy. It's very irritating when you mulligan one card and get the other copy back.

Top Bottom