How to turn on HDR on PC? Grayed Out...

+
I have a HDR compatible panel but the option is grayed out in game, I don't have the option to turn it on.

I'm playing in 4k on a HDR panel, but can't turn on HDR.

that did the trick thanks. Is it just me or does it look better with HDR off?

I think HDR might actually be slightly broken. At least for me, the black levels aren't calibrated correctly, and what should be pure black shows as gray on my OLED.

if your HDR doesn't look right (like blacks being grey) you need to adjust HDR settings in game, for blacks specifically the paper white setting

the defaults for me were incorrect, once dialed in the HDR looks great

I'm not sure why they decided to go through Windows. Several games I have bypass it because it always looks washed out and needs all kinds of tweaking to look decent.

if your HDR doesn't look right (like blacks being grey) you need to adjust HDR settings in game, for blacks specifically the paper white setting

the defaults for me were incorrect, once dialed in the HDR looks great
The paperwhite setting in the game does nothing for the blacks it only controls the brightness of the UI.

I'm not sure why they decided to go through Windows. Several games I have bypass it because it always looks washed out and needs all kinds of tweaking to look decent.
Because like everything else in the game, rushed and or lazy.

hdr implementation seems to be screwed in call of duty black ops cold war as well(colors being washed out and such). Im guessing windows 10 problems. But I solved it on my monitor by making sure im set to rgb limited in my graphics control panel, adjusting colors through said control panel , and also using pq hdr mode in cyberpunk.

or i cleaned my glasses one day and can see better.......

I have a HDR compatible panel but the option is grayed out in game, I don't have the option to turn it on.

I'm playing in 4k on a HDR panel, but can't turn on HDR.

Please confirm is your panel what version of HDR? i got a HDR Plus TV and every game from PC looks gray. It just mimic the effect from SDR signal. Should not use with PC. Got better results with PS4 for some reason.

Last edited:

Guest 4478408

if its hdr400 dont bother though... all that will do is reducing the dynamic range in sdr applications and bump them to the previous normal level in hrd apps.
yeah... hdr400 is THAT bad. these displays neither have local dimming nor 10bit color depth. its a fake starndard that only makes things worse when used.

if its hdr400 dont bother though... all that will do is reducing the dynamic range in sdr applications and bump them to the previous normal level in hrd apps.
yeah... hdr400 is THAT bad. these displays neither have local dimming nor 10bit color depth. its a fake starndard that only makes things worse when used.
So you mean it's not the problem of the game?

I'd get 95% of ya know this already, but despite gaming on PC for 15 years I just discovered it a couple years ago (to be fair, I am far from technically proficient) but if your HDR looks shitty or you can't run it on your rig, Cyberpunk has some amazing reshade presets assuming you have the reshade program installed.

It has a few analogs for just HDR in the program itself if you don't wanna use presets. I don't think it is "real" HDR, but I am like a village simpleton when it comes to practical computer knowledge (I studied bio, so it's basically the holy water to my vampire) so maybe it isn't just an analogue. Ive no interest in learning the tedious aspects of computer tech, so I probably sound ignorant, but it really does make the game shine even brighter than the base graphics (figuratively).

I mention my computer ignorance because if i can figure out reshade as a replacement for HDR, anyone can. The three presets I've tried so far are all great so hopefully if you're having issues this can help.

Check out these three....

Ultra Enhanced Reshade: Really does a lot with only a few tools. If the game isn't running so smoothly then this may be the one for you. It doesnt feel like much of a compromise or "performance preset", as the quality is still great.

Autonomous Reshades: This one has three "sub-presets(?)" and seems to be easily the most popular and well reviewed on nexus. I loved it as well, despite me not using it often. The variety is great too, the three options have noticeably different feels. I think the same guy does a shitton of presets for various games.

Photorealistic preset: This is what I use. My pc isn't a beast, but it still manages to run CP2077 with almost everyrhing on ultra (Screen space reflections on medium, that hits my rig harder than any other setting) and I don't have ray tracing. Assuming you have something of a similar level you should have no issues with this. I have read/heard that some people get a minor but noticeable fr hit, but ive not noticed. This is the best reshade preset IMO, it isn't as popular as autonomous but whenever I alternate and hide the names, I end up choosing this one.. slight edits, but thats up to you if you choose to adjust presets. With any of these it seems to my untrained eye that Adaptive sharpen looks better than Cas.fx, maybe balance with slight fxaa. I believe these presets, at least some, use the HDR option and it really does look like a fine replacement when used correctly.

Sorry for the diatribe, I just remember bejng blown away and psyched when I discovered reshade. I saw some commenters saying their HDR looks off and other's im sure lack the option. Hopefully this works for you! Now, when I get any major game with top tier graphics I always use reshade. Going without would feel monotone now.

So basically
1. Ultra enhanced reshade: the "budge" preset, really doesn't look like one. It just uses fewer tools but uses them with great efficiency.
2. Autonomous presets: The popular vote winner by a huge margin. Prob start here, three options and all three look great in their own way (one's warm colors, another's cool and the 3rd tries to maintain base game temperature)
3. Photorealistic Preset: cant play without this. Toggling it in game is somewhat subtle but it gives WEIGHT to all the shading and lighting, as well as tidying up via sharpening (i think I added FXAA, not in preset it I recall but I just use near the weakest setting a "final coat of paint" over the improved sharpening.

You can add the HDR to any of those or make your own (making your own can get ugly as hell very quick though) i remembering playing total war 3kingdoms and thinking I was using it well, but then 4 hrs later I hadnt actually played but I had between one ans two dozen different shaders going. It looked just bad, CLEAN, but bad. Very overproduced. Fewer tools used more efficiently is often better.

Hope this can serve as a decent replacement if your HDR is lookin shitty or your rig cant use it. Totally changed how I personally optimize a game for best look while being o playable

Top Bottom