How To Use Assire var Anahid

+
How To Use Assire var Anahid

So I am going to be using Assire var Anahid for the first time. It will be my first time with Nilfgaard as well.

The card reads. "Return 2 Bronze or Silver cards from either graveyard to their respective decks."

Looking for advice on what types of things to return to my opponents deck. Examples would help, and maybe just things to look out for.

Really anything would be appreciated. :)

it's more effective for your own cards, firstly because you can use it sooner, but secondly because there isn't a lot of graveyard play....
  • against ST, r2-3 you use it on yourself, especially to deny choice cards like mandrake to your opponents Aglais, or maybe strip Ethine of that scorch they already played
  • vs NG r2-3, any =< 5 units on your opponents side to deny them ointment
  • vs SK, r2-3almost anything, but priority on Strengthened units, Light Longships, and Bearmasters since those are their prime res targets. Vetran if they haven't played Sigrfida yet, but only if you can get all of them.
  • vs MN r2-3, Deathwish units, but be careful with Nekkers... only hit those if there are only two and you think they have none in hand and have already played maelorn, otherwise you're doing them a favor
  • vs NR r2-3 pretty much nothing but Poor F'ing Infantry, and even that's probably not a good idea

Last edited:
First of all, you can use Assire you return cards to your own deck. Usually you want something that can be pulled out by another card, e.g. Roach or Ointment.

As for using it on your opponent's graveyard, that depends on the faction. You want to return a card that can be ressed and holds high value.
For NR: that's Stennis or whatever target remains for Henselt to summon after being ressed by Shani.
For ST Eithné: it's whatever silver special is threatening. For ST Dwarfs: any high value (silver) dwarfs.
For Mo Deathwish: any Deathwish unit. For Mo Consume: Nekker Warrior first, then any Draconid.
For NG Alchemy: whatever you don't want to be ressed and is less than 5 strength.
For SK: this is sometimes more difficult because the faction has a lot of resses. But if there is a high strength target, that would be the obvious choice.

Thanks for the detailed answers guys. You both went through every faction.

I kind of already had an idea on how to use it on myself. That's why I asked for advice about my opponent.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yeah, Assire really isnt that hard once you know how all archetypes from all factions work.

I literally just won a game because of her. I lost R1 on purpose (with CA), counting he, a SK Brainless Beastmaster would dry pass R2 as he did, i used Skellen on R2 to get the card i wanted, then on R3, i immediately played Assire to put his Beastmasters back on deck. UNfortunately he already had a 3rd there, but still he got one of his medics with no target, which gave me the win (and my 28 pt Pony)

Remember that when opponents have high value targets that can be rezzed or stolen, they usually do it immediately on R3, so you cant steal it, so it might be worthy to let him win R1, so you will start R3, but beware of carryovers and archetypes who like to go 2-0 or long rounds.

Assire is a very interesting unit with a lot of different application.
Your question is interesting but fairly difficult to answer accurately considering the number of things she can do. It entirerly depends on the situation.

Some has explained very well the possibiliies before me but I'm gonna try to find example that hasn't been covered :

-She can be devestating against Henselt but you have to be VERY cautious on how to use her in this case.
The main idea is that, on round 3, your opponent is gonna try to find something to play Henselt on (unless they played him already, of course) and you're gonna try to destroy everything one after the other to deny this play from your opponent.
There is a point, usually at about the very end of the round, where your opponent is gonna play Neneke and bring all of one kind of machine but one in their deck, this is your window for Assire.
You play her and simply remove the last remaining unit from your opponent's graveyard, denying their Shani. Bear in mind, it's extremely risky and has to be done only if there is nothing else you can do since Dijkstra (or any other card that dig into your opponent's deck) can still win them the game easily but in the "better than nothing" type of scenario, this one can sometimes win you the game.

-You can send units or spells that your opponent don't want to draw on turn 1 or 2 (like Blue stripes commando against NR for example...or 1 Blue mountain for ST) or cards that you already have answer to or are terrible in the match up (like Mandrake if you're playing a pure Imlerith Sabbath deck with lot of boosts and everything.....No I'm kidding of course but you got the point).

-If you're playing on Arena, it's easy to know when your opponent has some res or graverobber effects (your GY or your opponent's are gonna flash in red, indicating that they're checking what they can do with their card) and a lot of them are doing it a few turns before actually playing it. This way you can look at the proper GY and try to figure out what they're planning. It's even better in this format considering we usually have less way of digging into our deck to get whatever you bring back in their deck.

I hate Assire, I try putting roach back in my deck to be played again when using a gold card but I end up drawing roach more often than I want. Does Assire but cards back at the top of your deck?

Don't forget to you can put back your spy in their deck (it doesnt give a card anymore) so its a super dead draw and totally destroys alzur's double cross! :)

DRK3;n10649491 said:
Yeah, Assire really isnt that hard once you know how all archetypes from all factions work.

I literally just won a game because of her. I lost R1 on purpose (with CA), counting he, a SK Brainless Beastmaster would dry pass R2 as he did, i used Skellen on R2 to get the card i wanted, then on R3, i immediately played Assire to put his Beastmasters back on deck. UNfortunately he already had a 3rd there, but still he got one of his medics with no target, which gave me the win (and my 28 pt Pony)

Remember that when opponents have high value targets that can be rezzed or stolen, they usually do it immediately on R3, so you cant steal it, so it might be worthy to let him win R1, so you will start R3, but beware of carryovers and archetypes who like to go 2-0 or long rounds.

I know I'm OT here, but I wanted to ask you if the Skellen Ihquarrax combo works

Bleach25;n10673251 said:
I know I'm OT here, but I wanted to ask you if the Skellen Ihquarrax combo works

Yes, you can use Stefan to instantly trigger Ihuarraquax when you play the card.

I hate Assire, I try putting roach back in my deck to be played again when using a gold card but I end up drawing roach more often than I want. Does Assire but cards back at the top of your deck?

I use her in the same round I intend to summon Roach for that exact reason. She is good in my reveal deck for placing a golem and Roach back in, then summoning them with Cahir :) (It's a deck with spotters, which work more often than Mangonels)

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Bleach25 As 4RM3D said, Stefan to pick Ihuarraquax on top of deck and add 5, really does trigger him immediately when you play it, in fact i havent seen anyone using the pony other way. The only bad part is the targets are random, which can waste a lot of damage if the opponent has many low value units like priestesses of freya, beastmasters, slave drivers, vicovaro novices, those elven guys, ...

Be careful of using her if you're putting something back that you don't wanna draw from hand, much like the Roach example above. She can be great to put a roach back or even golems if you're using reveal, but only do something like that if you plan on drawing them out in the next few plays (if you put roach back, make sure one of your next plays will be gold. if you put golems back in, make sure you reveal opponent units next few plays etc) She can work really well for your own units if you use a thinning deck, i personally use a NG deck that thins to the last bronze, but also carries 3 recons, so r2 or 3 I can save recons, use assire to put bronzes back into the deck and get another use from them.

Assire is an absolute beast against SK greatsword decks, if you can get her in r2 or 3 you completely devastate their win con by denying them their massive rez targets.

I also fully agree with others re ST, you'll mostly want to put specials back to avoid eithne and aglais in that kind of deck, if you're not expecting aglais (or don't care about her reusing a special) then consider a lower value unit to deny Hattori (often the elven scouts) and definitely consider geting barclay back in their deck in a late round if you're expecting hattori.

Top Bottom