How to use Olgierd: Immortal

+

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
NOTE: This thread is a continuation of Swim is back, but focused on Olgierd: Immortal, with two discussion points:

1. How does Olgierd work?
2. In which decks does he work best?

in before Swim broken decks consume the meta.

What he tried in the video was the first thing I tried in PTR. Incidentally, I also reported a bug with Olgierd.

Last edited:
You unlock him before he hits the graveyard and, according to the card, his boosts should stay. At the moment, they don't.

You unlock him before he hits the graveyard and, according to the card, his boosts should stay. At the moment, they don't.

Nope, his card says "his power (7) will not change". He should only boost if locked, which happened, but would then obviously reset once unlocked again, back to 7. It's pretty clear. The only way it could change would be in Beta a card used to increase a cards strength by 3. That mechanic doesn't exist anymore.

Nope, his card says "his power (7) will not change". He should only boost if locked, which happened, but would then obviously reset once unlocked again, back to 7. It's pretty clear. The only way it could change would be in Beta a card used to increase a cards strength by 3. That mechanic doesn't exist anymore.

I wouldn't think a reset would be obvious. I think it's perfectly reasonable to think that once the lock is off the card would simply work like normal so the current power of the card (which is now boosted) would no longer be able to be changed. I don't really care either way just saying how I look at it.

It doesn't return to 7 when unlocked, it does return when hits the graveyard. But the graveyard does belong to "wherever", so it should not reset when unlocked and in graveyard. Unless the description gots changed.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
It doesn't return to 7 when unlocked, it does return when hits the graveyard.

Olgierd resets when he is removed from the board, including Decoy-like effects, and when he persists through rounds. This means that the core mechanics take precedence before Olgierd's mechanics.

Olgierd resets when he is removed from the board, including Decoy-like effects, and when he persists through rounds. This means that the core mechanics take precedence before Olgierd's mechanics.
That here. It should be the opposite. The card's specific mechanics should always have priority over core mechanics. I think it's a bug, they probably didn't think of lock-boost-unlock but that's a smart move and still quite easily counterable so it should work. It's also more interesting than just a 7 stuck body.

And it means that his description is wrong

The description is confusing, but it's not necessarily wrong. There are quite a few cards in Magic the Gathering that contradict each other. When this happens, the core rules take precedence. That doesn't mean the card description is wrong, though. In Gwent, in the past, it has happened before.

I think the key is in the old mechanic of "boost" and "strengthen". The former would only apply to the card on the board - it makes sense based on the wording that he can be locked/boosted (or locked/damaged). It also stands to reason - like any boosted card - that they reset once they leave the board, whether lock has been used or not. My interpretation of it differed from Swim's, I assume it returns to 7 once it leaves the board. There was a term "strengthen" which adjusted the base strength of the card, but this doesn't exist anymore.

In terms of what it works with, Covenant in a Svalblod deck springs to mind - cards like Knut, Priest can then get repeat benefit with no damage to the unit itself. I'd imagine, just like defenders, it becomes an instant target for Korathi/Invocation/Philipa, as well as a clear focus for locks. Outside of this obvious Skellige stuff, I can't see what else it's useful for, and at 10 provs is it better than Covenant, Dagur, etc.?

DRK3

Forum veteran
Just wanted to add you cant remove him with damage, even if it's 7pt or more.

I actually won a game because my opponent used Imlerith's Wrath (or whatever its called) to do damage over 7pt on my Olgierd Immortal and did nothing, so i assume other big damages like Hjalmar or Madman Lugos wont work on Olgierd either.

You can only remove him with destructions like Vilgefortz or scorch, or cards like Yen Invocation adn Korathi Heatwave.

And you can use him on NG alchemist decks to swap his power with lower units, and he still remains 7 (same strategy for Living Armour)

If he didn't reset in graveyard then Assire hyperthin reveal might make this card broken. Not entirely sure on the numbers or the hypothetical list but the general idea of r1 thinning, r2 defender into Immortal, locking+boosting it then revealing in r3 sounds really complicated to pull off but I'm sure it can be done.

But I also suspect a similar combo can be pulled off with literally any unit if you just use decoy.

During the turn, whether boost or not, both are the power of the card, and Olgierd says power, not original power, so if unlocking it after being boosted the card takes that power as the base there would be no mistake.

Then after the turn we have 2 rules, the general rule that in the cemetery the boost is removed and that of the specific card that keeps them. Here, when there is conflict, the general is applied to the singular, as in MtG. Although this makes the second part of its effect "wherever it is" strange and useless.
Considering the second effect, I think he is bugged and should keep those buffs, otherwise I really do not understand what this clarification is for.

I see it useful in self-immolation decks and with the combo of the alchemists and the cows if the case of the armor does not occur. Not much more than that given the current cards.
it can be used with caranthir but it is much less effective than using living armor.

I know it's not Olgierd but since it's a continuation of the Swim thread and he used living armor I'll post it here.
I don't know if the combo is known but I tried and had quite some success so far with Living Armor and a card that I never see played: the Alchemist. You boost the armor/power of living armor and use the alchemist to switch its power with a low power unit, only to see living armor go back to its full power.
I've been having fun since yesterday seeing my opponents playing netdecks look for almost the entire round to understand how I ended the round with 3 or 4 14 power units on the board XD

Top Bottom