How to use rend?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
How to use rend?

Well, i know i have to hold down shift and the attack bottom, but i cannot always use it. I hold it down and it either does rend with a latency, or it does a normal strong attack? Is it a bug? or i am doing something wrong?

Hold it for a fraction of a second for instant rend. If you get the timing down it by far the fastest attack, faster than a normal fast attack as well. Secondly do remember you need your stamina to be atleast 50 before you can rend IE half stamina bar. If your stamina is lower you cannot rend. Finally making it eat up stamina is useless but if you have adrenaline points and charge up rend so it consumes that point then rend is devastating as each adrenaline point consumed increases rend's damage by 100%.

So if you got no adrenaline learn the timing to get nearly instant rend and if you have adrenaline then only try to charge it up. Oh rend can also be buffered while you doing another animations for example just as your dodge is about to end rend can be started to buffer from then so as soon as your dodge stops you get a rend out.

Basically practice and get the timings down and rend becomes a god send attack since it cannot be blocked, deflected and bypasses all defences.

Last edited:
(i am now a mutated kid .... YEAH) Well, thanks, i knew it consumed stamina, but i was not aware that it should be at least 50%.

(i am now a mutated kid .... YEAH) Well, thanks, i knew it consumed stamina, but i was not aware that it should be at least 50%.

Practice makes perfect. Best tip for me was to start rend in the middle of a dodge. This way it automatically rends at the end of the dodge.

The guys post on his video tells it best.

"Ive also not had your problem with dodging. as you can see in the video i am rending straight out of dodges no worries. dodge has a slightly longer recovery than it looks. you can actually dodge out of animation recoveries much faster than you can do anything else, so even though you can chain dodges it doesnt mean you can attack with any attack out of dodge as fast as you can dodge again.because this technique can't cancel animations, you have to let go the button after the recovery. for a normal attack you can actually press the button during the dodge and geralt will attack immediately as soon as the animation recovery is over. with rend you have to let go after the recovery is over, you can't let go during the dodge.it takes a bit of timingif you want to practice go into an open area, pull out your sword, and do a single light slash, then press dodge. as long as you have swung your sword once you can dodge or roll outside of combat. you can use that to practice the timing.if you are talking about roll, its only if you go below 1/2 with the roll, since roll uses a smidgen of stamina. otherwise it works fine. for example i like to stun enemies with a samun or freeze with northern wind, roll into them, and then instantly start rend chaining them. if you do this technique fast enough you use almost no stamina at all."

Wrecks elementals, wraiths pretty much anything. Cylops are a problem due to their hitbox being wonky and their range being a lot farther than it should be but i still kill em with rend. But any enemy when wonky stuff is not a issue rend murders absolutely provided you learn the timing of getting near instant rends as i mentioned above. Main thing to remember with rend is you need to get timing and the range down, once done its a hell of a attack.

But as usual rend requires a bit of practice and that is important.

Will also add change you key bindings, default ones are terrible to use rend with as it requires pressing shift + left mouse button to start a strong attack. I personally for strong attack builds set left mouse as strong attack right for block/senses and one of my mouses thumb buttons for fast attack.

---------- Updated at 10:25 PM ----------

Final bit of advice if you want to feed adrenaline to your rend, hit the enemy first with a normal rend as it generally does a mini stagger which gives you enough time to feed it a point of adrenaline easily and allows to smash anything it comes into contact with.

I've read a lot of confusing opinions on using REND. In version 1.31, it's simple: roll into melee range, hold down SHIFT, then pulse Left Mouse Button to coincide with Geralt's striking his target. No need to worry about adrenaline points or a slow wind-up. As long as you coordinate your LMB with Geralt's striking his target, you'll deliver an endless series of overpowering blows to the toughest enemy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom