How to win against Arachas?

+
This is either have wide punish or die for me. I lose round one, I get pushed to death or destroyed in a long round. I win round one, I push and opponent preserves like four charges, some spawn cards and I get yenneferd in a short round.

Yrden is the most useful option since you can use it against lots of decks. Blizzard can annihilate wide token decks, but just doesn't have much utility most of the time.

Or you play monsters against them and keep Glustyworp in hand to consume their unboosted tokens.

It's a tough match up for Decks that can't really deal with the overwhelming amount of small units where you most of the time can only hope for a successful round 2 bleed, if you face it a lot of times you probably should consider a tech option like Lambert Swordmaster or Lacerate.

Indeed, a very sneaky deck that utilizes the lack of wide punishes in most common/favorite builds.
If one sticks to the current cookie-cutter decks, it can be miserably hard to beat them.

Yrden is the most useful option since you can use it against lots of decks. Blizzard can annihilate wide token decks, but just doesn't have much utility most of the time.

Or you play monsters against them and keep Glustyworp in hand to consume their unboosted tokens.
NG Spies can also quickly fill their rows, making them waste a few cards in R3. Invoing Yennefer (yes, Yenn invoing herself is something special) and re-playing her once they have a full board for a 2-rows punish is also some big brain play.

Wild boar. Heimdall, Toruviel, Shiru, Yrden, igni, Ragnarog, any unit that does 1 ping on cooldown. Flog their rows, There are ways. Just be creative. And dont hold your cards for finishers. If he has 9 insectoids on melee and 5 on range on turn 4 of round 1 and you have wild boar in hand dont wait for it to be your last card r3 finisher. And remember its just a game. You win some you lose some.

So they reduced the provisions for Yennefer of Vengerberg by 1 and all the sudden this deck became popular and all the kids/bots are now copying it?
While I think Yen: Conjurer really needed a buff (and she got it), the other version of Yenn didn't, they should put her back to 11 provisions as it was before.

So they reduced the provisions for Yennefer of Vengerberg by 1 and all the sudden this deck became popular and all the kids/bots are now copying it?
While I think Yen: Conjurer really needed a buff (and she got it), the other version of Yenn didn't, they should put her back to 11 provisions as it was before.
You are ignoring the existence of chimera, spontaneous evolution, and dol dhu lokke. I think a better theory is that it took a little longer for players to discover this deck. The nerf to Viy decks probably also helped as monsters players are now motivated to try something else, and Yrden isn’t quite so autoinclude.

I agree that conjurer could use a boost. I’m not so sure about divination — it’s potential role in hyperthin decks makes this one delicate. And Invocation definitely needs no boosts; arguably it could be nerfed.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Also, people are missing out on Deathwish. My goal this season was to reach Pro with pirates to prove a point, but i played it so much in casual i got tired of it, so ended up using a trusty DW deck with most of the cards i like to use for years.

Im using OH, i hate that its nerfed and i hate that its associated with Viy now, but its my favourite MO leader.
its mostly swarm, just like Arachas, exploiting the lack of wide punishment. But i have both wererat and plague maiden, which makes it a guaranteed win vs Arachas, so that's my ontopic contribution to the thread. :cool:

But then i also have a lot of troll moves, like Predatory dive, Manticore (and Caranthir, my favourite), and when everyone is using Yrden, im going with Igni, even though i personally prefer Yrden, but i just love goin offmeta - when everyone was running Igni, i ran Yrden, now the opposite.

And let me tell you, i have 0 setup for the Ignis but that doesnt matter because NOBODY is playing around Igni, only Yrden, and just with the matches i did yesterday and today, i had enough insane Ignis to fill an entire Great Dandelion Show video!

do you have a link to your deck with the combo wererat and plague maiden plz ? it's a good idea !

After in a more classic way there's indeed the combo caranthir and maticore (7p) or werecat (7p) who's still cool. Made me think to the penitent who summon a 7p card btw.. ! Mmmh, an idea to dig into perhaps !

Otherwise there's the forktail (4 to 4p), which is the cheapest way to deal with it. "damage all other units by 1". It includes yours units too, but it's a good answer to a overwhelming board almost full of doomed's insect with 1 power ahah ! For being in the side of the "swarmer" it's workin... a pain in the ass for sure lol. But there's almost always a way to still win.

Anyway, that's what some ideas !

Guest 4375874

Are the points this deck generates really that much of a threat? I've never needed to tech against it to win with devotion vampires. More often than not their rows become full and they end up passing R1. They usually have zero control themselves so you can pretty much just play freely. If you draw a bad hand I can see it being a tough match but otherwise it really doesn't seem that great

Mi_V

Forum regular
Are the points this deck generates really that much of a threat? I've never needed to tech against it to win with devotion vampires. More often than not their rows become full and they end up passing R1. They usually have zero control themselves so you can pretty much just play freely. If you draw a bad hand I can see it being a tough match but otherwise it really doesn't seem that great
they have natural selection x 2, parasite, heatwave, a lock and if necessary - Triss. On red coin, they can win on even in r1 vs SY pocket or best meta decks out there. In long round 1, one chimera ~ 12, 13 points, one bone talisman ~ 12 --> 16 points, crimson curse ~ 10 --> 17 points. And if they win round 1, prepare for the merciless r2 push with Yen.

Some swarm decks even tech a wild hunt bruiser to combo with Yrden if opponent plays round yrden or simply to push SK boats, hunters, MO Defender to protect Ciri or Kelly to other row.

Last edited:
You are ignoring the existence of chimera, spontaneous evolution, and dol dhu lokke. I think a better theory is that it took a little longer for players to discover this deck. The nerf to Viy decks probably also helped as monsters players are now motivated to try something else, and Yrden isn’t quite so autoinclude.
True, I forgot about Chimera playing for around 10 to 13 points usually lol.

Guest 4375874

they have natural selection x 2, parasite, heatwave, a lock and if necessary - Triss. On red coin, they can win on even in r1 vs SY pocket or best meta decks out there. In long round 1, one chimera ~ 12, 13 points, one bone talisman ~ 12 --> 16 points, crimson curse ~ 10 --> 17 points. And if they win round 1, prepare for the merciless r2 push with Yen.

Some swarm decks even tech a wild hunt bruiser to combo with Yrden if opponent plays round yrden or simply to push SK boats, hunters, MO Defender to protect Ciri or Kelly to other row.
cool, I've never encountered that combination I guess. I suppose Geralt will be prevalent again, I don't see that deck beating SY pocket. I auto forfeit against SY now because of how oppressive it is...you can't get anything to stick on the board so while I have trouble with Arachas I've never found it unbeatable

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hard targeting AQ so I'm playing Whispess: Tribute + Lacerate AND Lambert: Swordmaster (in a non devotion vampires) It's awful in other matchups but I most likely 2-0 AQ with those cards.
Post automatically merged:

Also, people are missing out on Deathwish. My goal this season was to reach Pro with pirates to prove a point, but i played it so much in casual i got tired of it, so ended up using a trusty DW deck with most of the cards i like to use for years.

Im using OH, i hate that its nerfed and i hate that its associated with Viy now, but its my favourite MO leader.
its mostly swarm, just like Arachas, exploiting the lack of wide punishment. But i have both wererat and plague maiden, which makes it a guaranteed win vs Arachas, so that's my ontopic contribution to the thread. :cool:

But then i also have a lot of troll moves, like Predatory dive, Manticore (and Caranthir, my favourite), and when everyone is using Yrden, im going with Igni, even though i personally prefer Yrden, but i just love goin offmeta - when everyone was running Igni, i ran Yrden, now the opposite.

And let me tell you, i have 0 setup for the Ignis but that doesnt matter because NOBODY is playing around Igni, only Yrden, and just with the matches i did yesterday and today, i had enough insane Ignis to fill an entire Great Dandelion Show video!
I feel like igni could be a nice answer for lined pockets. I'll give a try

DRK3

Forum veteran
do you have a link to your deck with the combo wererat and plague maiden plz ? it's a good idea !

After in a more classic way there's indeed the combo caranthir and maticore (7p) or werecat (7p) who's still cool. Made me think to the penitent who summon a 7p card btw.. ! Mmmh, an idea to dig into perhaps !

Otherwise there's the forktail (4 to 4p), which is the cheapest way to deal with it. "damage all other units by 1". It includes yours units too, but it's a good answer to a overwhelming board almost full of doomed's insect with 1 power ahah ! For being in the side of the "swarmer" it's workin... a pain in the ass for sure lol. But there's almost always a way to still win.

Anyway, that's what some ideas !
Im using werecat, not wererat - similar words but they have very different abilities.

Its true, forktail is very cheap and can counter arachas, but there's a few problems:
1. its a bluffing game, you dont know when your arachas opponent is gonna stop putting units and start boosting, so if you delay the forktail you risk going too late and not destroying the drones if they're boosted
2. on this particular deck, im using a very swarm deck too, so forktail would hurt me. but in a keltullis or low unit deck, he's a good counter for arachas

the advantage of using OH leader, caranthir and wererat is i can play 2 wererats (usually i use caranthir with a more valuable gold, but vs arachas and elves, the wererat is better), and you can do 2pts of damage to a row on a turn, so you can destroy a full row if its boosted with talisman or chimera, only Yen is more dangerous and boosts it immediately to 3

I feel like igni could be a nice answer for lined pockets. I'll give a try
It is! You must deny a crownsplitter when the cleaver is played, if you do, he's 5pts after deploy. I lock him here, then i bait tunnel drill. Usually its a 15-25 pt Igni, unless they put Jacques or a stolen unit by Philippa on that row.

They always fall for the 4x5 Igni.jpg

Nobody plays around Igni anymore.jpg

Mi_V

Forum regular
cool, I've never encountered that combination I guess. I suppose Geralt will be prevalent again, I don't see that deck beating SY pocket. I auto forfeit against SY now because of how oppressive it is...you can't get anything to stick on the board so while I have trouble with Arachas I've never found it unbeatable
https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/meevsd
This is summary of decks picked in top 64 qualifiers few days ago. As you can see MO, NG and SY are the most popular factions. And when choosing deck in MO, 15/ 39 pros chose Arachas swarm. I mean these pros choose deck to win a prize so these decks are top tier,

SY Pocket only has the drill to counter Arachas, if they you don't use it in r1, they will mostly lose r1, and Arachas will bleed it out in r2. Immunity piggy and gord are not a problem for Yrden and bruiser. Who has last say has quite advantage.

Guest 4375874

This is summary of decks picked in top 64 qualifiers few days ago. As you can see MO, NG and SY are the most popular factions. And when choosing deck in MO, 15/ 39 pros chose Arachas swarm. I mean these pros choose deck to win a prize so these decks are top tier,

SY Pocket only has the drill to counter Arachas, if they you don't use it in r1, they will mostly lose r1, and Arachas will bleed it out in r2. Immunity piggy and gord are not a problem for Yrden and bruiser. Who has last say has quite advantage.
cool but this doesn't represent ranking across the board so I'll take it with a grain of salt. It's like using pro ranking to assess the state of the game, that's just not the best interpretation. I'm not saying Arachas isn't good but it's simply taking advantage of a vacuum since no one tries to tech against anything right now, it's just unitless removal. Doesn't make it an oppressive deck that has no way to counter, in any case best of luck. Hopefully you'll find some answers here

These are interesting statistics. But I don’t understand why with 64 players there are only 174 decks total in the list. This is an average of between 2 and 3 decks per player. What am I missing?

Still though this is much less oppressive then some other meta builds we had before or have still. :}

LINED POCKETS! :giveup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom