How well can you navigate night city?

+
I can navigate in Watson and especially in Kabuki pretty easily even without the map and gps on but the other districts aren't as familiar to me.

Well I don't know if it's my brain but my point is that I simply find it very hard to get my bearings. Much more so than when you visit a new city ITRW. I know the places quite well (I'm in the waterfront, I'm in the badlands, I'm near Jig Jig, etc.) but getting from A to B is the problem, the connection. Right now I'm trying to learn the main avenue near H10 that takes south to Lizzie's and north to Afterlife (or is it south to Afterlife and north to Lizzie's? :shrug: but it still doesn't come naturally. And in fact I wonder if I'm just wasting neurons.

Have people tried finding their way around with the minimap completely disabled? For this game, I tended to turn it on/off (primarily for driving during time-sensitive missions), but I mostly played with it off. Just like in real life, getting lost and then getting un-lost is how we learn our way around.

I used to do the same thing in Assassin's Creed games (1-3). Each of those cities had really, really well-done layouts. Lots of little places to hide, escape to, regain ammo and stuff, etc. I think the key is that if you want to learn an environment, it's not fast. And it's not easy. That's realism.

For gaming purposes, I can totally support the argument that we need to move away from floating markers and highlighted paths. My idea for that is that those elements could be in the game, but off by default. Hit a key, and the path appears momentarily, then fades out. Ideally, I'd really like to see a system that just sort of gives you directions, as many describe. I loved making my way from Seyda Need to Balmora in Morrowind the first time, just following the directions you get in the tavern at the beginning.

I rarely fast travel, I usually drive everywhere in game. I can navigate my way through Watson, Japantown, Charter Hill and parts of northside. The other parts (save Pacifica) are a bit harder but I know the main(and most travelled) roads. When I accidently get a different mission than the one I'm doing, I quickly notice when I'm going the wrong way.

In any decent game, real time travelling is always most fun. You encounter travellers, discover secret and just see the world. Eventually you know the roads. In certain games like Skyrim for example, I do not need a map, just give me a name and I'll go there. I'm playing Kingdom Come Deliverance aswell and there too, I travel without using the map. Just dont need it.

For me life is too short to NOT have quest arrows. Especially when they are for any NPC that MOVE around the entire game map. But that may only be in recent (oblivion, all the Fallouts, Skyrim) Bethesda games I guess (because of the NPC radiant AI ).

However I was very impressed with the system used in Ghost of Tsushima
where the WIND was your quest arrow and smoke and leaves and waiving grass and trees moved in the direction you needed to go!

Top Bottom