How would you design a Night City MMORPG?

+
Cyberpunk 2077 has made me realize how much I want a MMORPG set in Night City. I’ve got some thoughts below on how it might be done and I’d like to hear how you would do it. As in the present game, I wouldn’t include classes, but would instead allow people to specialize according to their preferred weapon.

Combat Roles

For group activities, it might be nice if characters could take on specialized combat roles.

A Controller role is easy to fill. Not only netrunners, but anyone with a weapon that can hit multiple targets at once (like a shotgun or SMG) might function as a controller.

Melee types with high Body would inevitably function as Tanks, though the idea of tanking does seem weird in a cyberpunk world.

Healers are difficult. While Medtechs are a class in Cyberpunk 2020, a party healer would either need to be able to heal at a distance or would have to be sprinting all over the battlefield to heal people. Healing at a distance is hard to justify while running all over the battlefield would make them an easy target.

Gathering

Instead of the mining and wood-chopping that goes on in fantasy MMORPGS, or the mining of EVE, it would be nice to give the PCs the option to “harvest resources” in an area in the ways that a criminal might, say by stealing, selling contraband, or extorting money from businesses. If PC groups can fight over valuable turf, as in Eve, so much the better.

Crafting

Following the pattern of a typical MMORPG, you could have players collect loot in fights that they sell to other players who turn it into goods like weapons, cyberware, and vehicles. That’s a bit clunky, though, since we know that megacorps manufacture these things. Maybe it works better if PC crafters are presented as modifying goods rather than producing them. A techie might use scrap to soup up your weapon or your car.

Social Roles

Ideally, there should be social roles available too, like the media, fixer and rockerboy roles from Cyberpunk 2020. I’ve got no idea how to tie these to the economy, though. Maybe Medias can manufacture reputation bonuses for people. Maybe characters out on adventure can gather “information”, a resource that can be sold to medias and fixers for them to make something out of.

Factions and PvP

With so many factions in Night City potentially fighting over turf and assets, it seems natural to let players fight over territory for different factions in PvP. Conflicts could be gang vs gang, nomad vs nomad, corp vs corp, gang vs NCPD, nomad vs NCPD, gang vs nomad, gang vs corps, nomad vs corps and maybe more.

That’s all the ideas I have so far. What are yours?

Glue 1000 anchovies to my body and run naked thru the world's fair segal preserve for punishment!

Then not do it and instead make another great single player game.

Simple answer is: I would not.

Night City is a sample city created for the table top RPG. CP2077 used this, and that is quaint, but if I were making any game based on Cyberpunk for multiplayer, I would put it somewhere else.

I would make a faction-based PVP/PVE game. There needs to be space for player-run gangs (factions) to form and control parts of the city. I would not want the baggage of having some reference material from a book dictating the baseline.

I would rather see a shadowrun mmorpg as it also includes fantasy elements wich would lure even more players on the server and make the game more successfull and stay online longer before shutting down.

I'm personally not interested in seeing a multiplayer on C.P. 2077. to make it a salty game like GTA V? What developers should really be concentrating on is improving this incredible game. It would be a shame that because of unhappy and critical players, because that's what it is, this game ends up as mass effect andromeda or like recently anthem, it has great potential.

I'm personally not interested in seeing a multiplayer on C.P. 2077. to make it a salty game like GTA V? What developers should really be concentrating on is improving this incredible game. It would be a shame that because of unhappy and critical players, because that's what it is, this game ends up as mass effect andromeda or like recently anthem, it has great potential.
I think multiplayer similar to GTA Online, would not work in CP, but MMO... it depends what kind of game it would be.

I see a cooperative story like borderlands more in line, rather I would have liked that way where the 3 lifepaths intersect in a big story.
But from what they gave to understand with the online they look for something like GTA.

It would be nice if they copy the 4vs1 mode of one of the resident evils:4 coop players trying to beat a mission designed by another player.Resources for the master player can cost edies(hiring goons,their weapons a camera) and his/her reward can be maybe calculated as how long it takes to beat the mission,damage inflicted/players killed/loot from players...For player rewards,maybe it can be calculated as a function of the difficulty of the mission and/or whatever the master puts as bait(from his/her resource pool).They can add also coop missions created by the game,not sure it will work a bot controlled party trying to beat your mission...Players would be able to switch between roles and keep their eddies/objects(so judge dredd at morning,building my drug distribution ring at night).

A Co-Op mode.... thats more likely .....They should try something like division in the sense that for the missions before starting you have the option of looking for people who are doing the same as you. and if people really want to kill each other and be toxic. red zones for Psycho Killers PLAYERS... but really, this should remain as a story mode only ... and maybe with more interaction with the NPCs especially romance .. set dates and going out... rides like GTA San andreas when u got a GF.. that was very cool

MMORPG is outdated idea. Played many of them in the past. Something more a la GTA Online (heists and open city) but much better with anti-cheat Black ICE would fit CP imo. Would love to see class system from PnP and gameplay based on co-op like during sessions with friends. War Zone is also cool idea for psycho players. Don't know how would they balace PvP with curent looter/shooter mechanics that I don't like (find different items stats very unrealistic).

Hey,
it could be pretty interesting if done right :)

I love what you suggested and would like to add:
- healing can work in multiple ways, e.g. anti-net-runners (prevent hacks), ripperdoc for quick fixes,...
- tanks can e.g. be mechs, have a strong body plating,...
- travel system including metro, buses,...
- full pen and paper class system (+ talent trees?) + implants + ...
- some stuff like PVP boxing, car races, concerts,...
- raids and bosses including e.g. Arasaka and Oda, Clouds and Woodman, (Mox and V?), Nomads,...?
- special events like dust storms, rains,...with some activities and consequences,...
- NC gangs and street conflicts,...
- own (customizable) apartment?

There are plenty of materials already to design CP as MMORPG, though I also think it's probably a bad idea :)

Fantasy, meaning dragons and magics and spells?
Steampunk, like obsolete tech based on coal and water to fight corpos in the future?
Apologies in advance <smiley face> are you guys taking the piss or high on rugs?

Also, suggesting ideas that already been done in gta is proper weak. Let's think out of the box and come up with things we haven't seen yet.

I swear to god almighty jeefus if I ever see a druid, flying a steel dragon steaming from its nostrils, chanting and waving to the stars in NC, I swear to gawd I'll spend all my money and savings sue'ing CDPR!!!1

I will try to say this as gentle but explicit as I can ;)

I am not interested in any multiplayer for Cyberpunk in the slightest.
I personally hope it'll never exist, and if it does it must be its own isolated game that is not connected to the SP-game we have. <-- by this I mean: stand alone.
I really DO NOT want this into a tacked on MP like watchdogs, gta or whatever other lambasted MP shit we've got out there.
I think MP would only destroy my immersion and experience/joy as it has for many other games that decided MP was needed.

A multplayer that promotes a kind "interactive storytelling" -not a plain co-op mode-would be interesting imho,if it ends like the nth PVP/PVE then I agree doesn't seem appealing to me

The main problem I have with the MMORPG is this one : He may me better than the singleplayer game.

Why? Because to have success, he must put in what you don't find in the SP : Liberty and customization.

I would hate to see everything I would loved to see in the SP being put only in the MMORPG counterpart.

The only way to have a good MMORPG would be to have your private server, to play finally as a merc in a cyberpunk city...

I think multiplayer similar to GTA Online, would not work in CP, but MMO... it depends what kind of game it would be.
Most of the games could easily be copied and done. There's no real reason why they wouldn't fit. Beside not wanting to mimic GTA Online. I don't mean mimic their monetization and slow progress for you to buy shark cards. Just the games themselves. Heists would be fixer controlled. CP would have the ability to make more crazier missions. If they do brain dance missions. Where they infiltrate the virtual world. A lot of things missing from SP would end up in MP. It be the only way they could draw people in. Oh, you wanted to work or deal with all the gang factions. Go play CP MP. I hope when they do MP. That they make 2 players material work everywhere. And not do what GTA did. Where you need 4 people. I quit GTA Online after a month cause of this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom