Hubert Rejk needs to be nerfed

+
Twas ment as a Joke, nonetheless I feel like all the nerf QQ does infact distract from the fact that MO is broken. Every other deck now is some form of Eredin [nope].

The Slyzard deck is also toxic and should be nerfed.
A cooldown of 2 could do the trick.

Quote edited. -Drac

Last edited by a moderator:
The Slyzard deck is also toxic and should be nerfed.

Nope. Not an issue with Slyzard. No need to nerf the lizard. It's Eredin. Same deal with Mourntart and Imlerith. These cards are perfectly reasonable. They only reach degenerate status when they are given on-demand immune off a leader. At least with Hubert there is ample counter-play. Eredin counter-play, barring extremely specific cards and/or leaders, involves, "Don't pass until Eredin uses immune on something.".

Hubert is just fine. If you see a adda deck coming, just play very long in round 2 so none of the damage cards (row damages,...) can get much strenght in round 3 (there should be not more than 4-5 cards left to play in round 3).
easy as pie.

Hubert is just fine. If you see a adda deck coming, just play very long in round 2 so none of the damage cards (row damages,...) can get much strenght in round 3 (there should be not more than 4-5 cards left to play in round 3).
easy as pie.

IF you win R1 and IF you have the cards to bleed R2 that's the correct way to deal with it.
Unfortunatly not every deck can do that without sacrificing removal you'll need in R3.
On the flipside when you play a Hubert deck and win R1 it's a instant win in nearly all cases (at least for me).
The value he gets is way better controlable than Regis Higher Vampire, a card that got nerfed hard last patch because of his massive point swing.
Your opponent only has to play a 2 pt body to get the provisions out of Hubert the rest is bonus.
That feels weird man :D

Agree with this. Slyzard + Immunity + Ruehin = Wrong.

The Ruehin deck isn't as good as the version that eats all allies.
You'll only win against that deck if you can bleed R2 and/or have Yrden or Scorch.

Last edited:
IF you win R1 and IF you have the cards to bleed R2 that's the correct way to deal with it.

The Ruehin deck isn't as good as the version that eats all allies.
You'll only win against that deck if you can bleed R2 and/or have Yrden or Scorch.

Or Shupe with rng destroy a random enemy. 60% chance. Shupe is the most powerful card in the game

Changed my mind, I think Hubert or at least the dragons need to be changed, just cause basically every NR deck I faced recently uses him as a finisher.
This just encourages people to run 1000x locks and stuff which people then complain about.... but if your opponent gets 2x points for every unit he manages to stack at the end then obviously you will want to make sure you can counter it...

This just encourages people to run 1000x locks and stuff which people then complain about.... but if your opponent gets 2x points for every unit he manages to stack at the end then obviously you will want to make sure you can counter it...

You just kill/disable the stuff that feeds Hubert his spinach instead of wasting it on stuff that doesn't matter.

In fairness to NR, what else are they supposed to do? Orders and engines abounds. Cards that kill orders units and engines abounds too. When all your shit gets killed, locked, stolen, blown up or otherwise assaulted because you try to be bob the builder you may need a 30-40 pt swing card in your back pocket to survive. Besides, NR probably shouldn't be at the top of the nerf priority list.

i actually agree that hubert should see some changes, but the truth is the NR faction is in the same spot as ST in that schirru was carrying too hard. For NR its a mix of combo pieces that when put together are insane, tbf if someone techs specifically against you in that matchup with lock + removal it can be beaten.
Its very tricky coz meve is keeping the faction alive at least at my level rank 5, but even then there are significant hurdles. idk what kind of changes could be made that dont just destroy the faction because it is already long round dependent and vulnerable once someone understands the playstyle

Hubert is a good card, but not a great card. It was nerfed last update. Provisions changed from 7 to 8. This is ok.

Last time I used Hubert correctly, he boosted 24. I've had him boost 4-10 a few times, which is also somewhat useful. Problem is that his "start" value is maybe too high at 3. Perhaps it should be 1 instead. Still with 3 it's not a completely useless card if you fail to build it up properly. But at 7 provision, there should be some risk with this card. Not sure about 8 and lowering.

I think the adjustment from 7-8 provisions was reasonable. Perhaps also considering moving his normal points from 3 to 1 would fully re-balance this card.

Having thought about this for a while I have to join the side of stating he needs to be nerfed.
Of course he should grow with an overload of engines you use that turn, however his starting value is much too high.
Adda + Hubert is already a 13-19 point finisher (assuming the strongest Adda target to be 5-8), in which case Hubert is an 8-11 card for 8 provisions without being vulnerable for a single turn.
Engines and other snowbally cards are not supposed to already start above curve and only grow from there.
Reducing his starting power to 1 and increasing the provision cost to 9 or just increasing it to 11 would do the trick.
The issue is that one does not even have to commit in terms of provision to play this card and it starts above curve and only gets more ridiculous from there.
I can live with him being a high synergy card, however starting above curve, while being the potentially highest impact card in the game is just absurd, especially if the card does not even reach the 9 provision benchmark.

I would personally advocate the 11 provision change.
Just let it sink in that Hubert Rejk + Adda is a 19 point finisher at base, which in a short round is only 1 point below Woodland + Old Speartip, which requires a 15 provision card and cannot get larger.

Did yours meta deck lose agaist Hubert? Awww. [Nope.] Personally I consider any 20-24 Hubert weak. Without Adda I can get him over 40. That is, if the build-up cards to do so aren't cracked down. Which is usually the occasion.

Post edited. -Drac

Just let it sink in that Hubert Rejk + Adda is a 19 point finisher at base, which in a short round is only 1 point below Woodland + Old Speartip, which requires a 15 provision card and cannot get larger.
It's the same with Harald and Greatswords and Dagur. In my opinion, it's the Order cards that are the problem. Not only here, but for the game in general. Orders and Charges make this a slow-paced and sometimes unbalanced game, which is what Hubert likes.
Without Adda I can get him over 40.
Indeed. Crappy Orders and Charges.

It's the same with Harald and Greatswords and Dagur. In my opinion, it's the Order cards that are the problem. Not only here, but for the game in general. Orders and Charges make this a slow-paced and sometimes unbalanced game, which is what Hubert likes.
[...]
True, the missing balance relies on it being enforced by how fragile Order ards are.
To be fair, when they announced them I assumed Zeal would be the rule, rather than the exception and the game would be balanced around that.

[Quoted bit edited out of quoted message. -Drac]

[...]
Personally I consider any 20-24 Hubert weak. Without Adda I can get him over 40. That is, if the build-up cards to do so aren't cracked down. Which is usually the occasion.
So you are even admitting a 20-24/8 card to be weak ?
Are you seriously admitting arguments to be true, which you try to ridicule ?
My argument is not that Hubert should not be able to grow with engines, that is a completely different point that I am trying to raise.
Whether that is unbalanced is not what I am stating (though admittedly people criticize Dragons Dream and that one is a far fairer version of Hubert).
My argument is that such a snowbally card should not start in the positive area due to the leader.
Adda + Hubert means that even without any further effort you get an 11 point Hubert, so the base value is 11/8.
The card that is the most snowbally card in the game should not still be point/provision effective in case the entire gameplan gets countered.

Why you went from this "assuming the strongest Adda target to be 5-8" to now stating that base value is 11? If adda doesnt have tall target both she and hubert are losing value. Harald and dagur are 20 points, and way easier to trigger. It's other cards that make hubert strong, so you should play around them, and those cards have more provisions than value like tainted ale. Also if you win round one and have one tall removal it doesnt matter how tall he gets. One card that maybe should get nerfed in provision cost is ocvist.

Why you went from this "assuming the strongest Adda target to be 5-8" to now stating that base value is 11? If adda doesnt have tall target both she and hubert are losing value. [...].
Because a 5-8 point target means Hubert gets 3 + that as points, which means 8-11, for an 8 provision card that is a bit much if these cards get the engine treatment and start below curve to be able to go a good protion above curve.
My argument is not that Hubert should not be able to get that big.
My argument is that if you disable all engines the opponent still gets good value from Hubert, being a good portion above curve.
There is no risk vs reward, Hubert is more a reward vs huge reward card, which is horrible balance.
In case you have those engines face up you deserve to get an even larger swing, not securing these points earlier, however in case you get countered you should lose points and not be above curve, that would undermine the entire balancing.

[...]
Harald and dagur are 20 points, and way easier to trigger.
[...]
Dagur however has to stay on the board and has to be commited before to get the advantages of other cards.
I agree that they can be compared in terms of "I can be countered, so might consider reworking my order of plays and secure certain points.", however Hubert does not even require you to do anything differently to secure these points.
In case of Dagur the opponent can lock it if it aims for more, can Scorch it, Geralt it, banish it, destroy it.
Dagur has to actually be on the field, unless you intend to say Dagur to be played like Hubert.
In that case you raise a fair point of it also showing awful design, although it is still 1 point less effective at doing that.
Unless you lose Last Say Hubert cannot be interacted with.
I am saying that such an uninteractable card should have risks attached to it.

[...]
Also if you win round one and have one tall removal it doesnt matter how tall he gets. One card that maybe should get nerfed in provision cost is ocvist.
There is a difference between saying Last Say can give a considerable advantage and saying Last Say making an already strong and not risky card even less interactable.

To make myself clear, I am not saying the card should not be able to reach high value, I am saying the minimum value should not be point/provision effective.

I think the whole topic of Hubert brings to light the really ridiculous boredom of Gwent. If you have or are playing against a NR deck with Adda, you know what's coming. There's no alternative, 'out there' play, you know they are going to do their utmost to win R1, dry pass, and leave everything down to Last Say.

It's MIND BLOWINGLY BORING! It's none of the clever nuance of Gwent's previous incarnation, there's none of the variety, you might as well just toss a coin because a game against NR/Hubert is defined by the deal and is then just a procession to the end.

You can tweak it, make it "less playable", but it's just one part of a wider issue with the game.

Top Bottom