Huge update on GOG

+
so i finished a 58gb update on gog yesterday and now i need another 58gb update? thats not possible or?

i mean i thougt these are all the patches the same time cause i never installed one earlier which is weird enough. why can i continue playing when the game needs an update? and now patch1.11 is also 58gb? nah no way. so does anybody have an idea how to install the real update or what to do? i dont even have an idea which version i´m playing.. is it now 1.04 or 1.06 or something else.

also the download is very slow. in one night sometimes it only made 1 or 2 gb thats not normal

thats only the temporary disk space it requires for the downloading process, the actual updates are only like 1gb or so. i agree that it sucks tho, especially with my small-ass 250gb ssd hahah.

I don't like this method either, got a 500mbps download and upload internet, which basically doesn't matter cause this method is largely dependent on HDD speed, which will never be great (I'll be damned to put this game on my SSD)

thats only the temporary disk space it requires for the downloading process, the actual updates are only like 1gb or so. i agree that it sucks tho, especially with my small-ass 250gb ssd hahah.
so i need to download 58 gb every time a new patch is online?
Post automatically merged:

I don't like this method either, got a 500mbps download and upload internet, which basically doesn't matter cause this method is largely dependent on HDD speed, which will never be great (I'll be damned to put this game on my SSD)
so i cant do anything else than downloading these 58gb?

so i need to download 58 gb every time a new patch is online?
Post automatically merged:

so i cant do anything else than downloading these 58gb?
Doesn't seem like it, isn't it great? To help people with slow download speed we...screw over everyone? You aren't REALLY downloading 58GB, but it does need the space for it so it can temporarily shuffle files around.

Doesn't seem like it, isn't it great? To help people with slow download speed we...screw over everyone? You aren't REALLY downloading 58GB, but it does need the space for it so it can temporarily shuffle files around.
so im not downloading 58gb but it takes the time like i woul download 58gb?

so im not downloading 58gb but it takes the time like i woul download 58gb?
It shouldn't take the time it would, but it might feel that way because GoG download servers and technique is utter crap.
Unless something is wrong and it actually is downloading 58GB, which would be....absurd to say the least, not sure how you would fix that besides completely removing it and letting it download once more for real, crossing fingers that will fix it for the future.

I don't play many modern games that are still receiving patches but is it common for games of a similar size to require such large temp space to apply the patches? How about Witcher 3? Probably my only recent experience is with a few Red Dead Redemption 2 patches, and they didn't have that problem as far as I remember.

According to some sites the 1.10 patch is around 1.7GB, which seems reasonable, but the problem they have is that to be applied the update has to extract the huge individual archives, replace the changed files, then re-archive them. necessitating the temp drive space and the horrendous patching time and drive thrashing. Having the assets split, even if it was just for updated ones would decrease the problem.

Maybe it's possible to get the patch separately and extract the files to the correct folders and the engine will use the new files instead of the old, I know Skyrim used to work that way, if the file existed outside an archive and was in the correct place it was used over the .dat or whatever their archives were called.

It might make loading slower though, which is one of the problems they are trying to solve for last gen consoles.
I haven't updated past 1.04 because it felt like my HDD was going to fly apart for the almost 2 hours it took to go from 1.03 to 1.04

Top Bottom