Hunger/Thirst/Sleep & Notes

+
Well summarised :)

And, going back to a theoretical situation, if this discussion was taking place a year earlier?

I would still vote against eating/sleeping mechanics, because I don't think it adds to immersion, as it side-tracks you from the focus of the game, and I don't think it adds to realism because finding food in games tends to involve chests in crypts, or garbage cans. And, as a purely personal preference, I would have prefered them to spend the development effort elsewhere.

However, if we'd found out that the developers had decided to include it, optional or mandatory, I would not have suggested they remove it.

Hah yeah I wouldn't love to eat anything out of a garbage can, so why would Geralt?

Actually I think I have changed my mind on the matter. I think something like that was implemented on Skyrim, but since I have not played it I can't say whether or not it would suit me. I don't think it would though, now that you have made that comment about the garbage cans. It wouldn't add to my immersion I think, simply consuming food so that I get more stats, or because otherwise Geralt would die.

To me what is kind of missing in the atmosphere of the games, is that feeling of sitting down with friends, and having discussions about recent or old events, drinking beer and eating snails or something. I really loved that scene in Flotsam, where you sit down with Dandelion, Zoltan, Triss and Roche and discuss while eating. Zoltan yelling to the innkeeper for beer and all that. I don't think a system like the one Aegis mentioned would quite verge on that feeling. Might be though, I haven't actually seen such a system in use. I definitely had not thought, about it not working quite as I expected it would. I hope I am making sense, I'm having a tough time understanding what I am typing. Must be that transition stage of changing ones mind. :p

Are you guys serious?

I was just thinking... Will Geralt stats drop if he doesnt eat or sleep, what if you meditate for 15 hours coz quests asks you to come back tomorrow? Will he calapse during the battle coz he didnt eat for 2 days? Wouldnt that be only frustrating? Gather herbs for potions and gather salad leafs for breakfast tomorrow.

What are benefits as a player of doing that in fantasy RPG ....game!? I am not sure if we are talking about fantasy RPG or Sims 5 DLC?. I bet any money everyone would try it and got annoyed with it after a while when game makes you keep a track on the hunger bar in the menu dropping constantly. You died in the battle bcoz you didnt eat your breakfast today sorry. Or you have to drop everything you are doing and ride 10 minutes to the next town to buy enough bread so it last you for next 2 quests.. If someone really wants it make a mod that reminds you to eat every 10-20 hours vitality items and sleep every 1-2 hours of gameplay.

Nice... Sims 5 Geralt of Rivia Edition.

Regarding the notes, dunno maybe but not sure how would that work on consoles. On PC this could be modded, or you could use piece of paper and pen its much easier. Unplug sometimes.

To me what is kind of missing in the atmosphere of the games, is that feeling of sitting down with friends, and having discussions about recent or old events, drinking beer and eating snails or something. I really loved that scene in Flotsam, where you sit down with Dandelion, Zoltan, Triss and Roche and discuss while eating. Zoltan yelling to the innkeeper for beer and all that. I don't think a system like the one Aegis mentioned would quite verge on that feeling. Might be though, I haven't actually seen such a system in use. I definitely had not thought, about it not working quite as I expected it would. I hope I am making sense, I'm having a tough time understanding what I am typing. Must be that transition stage of changing ones mind. :p

Totally agree with this...
I started playing RPGs with Wizardry, back when it was at the leading edge of computer RPG. It left me with a strong hatred of food/sleep mechanics, and to me the best thing that ever happened was when RPGs streamlined to remove them. I don't think it was ever included to be immersive, it was just one way of adding complexity to the game without stretching the computer's resources. Now that computers have improved, there are better ways of making a game complex, such as the combat system.

Hm, I think you guys are discussing the matter from completely opposite corners, correct me if I'm wrong.

@Aegis_Kleais simply says, that the theoretical implementation of such feature, should not harm any gamer who does not want it, simply because the feature would be optional. That to me, is obvious. More options, do not hurt anybody, if they are already there. He did not refer to the "cost" of such options being implemented. By cost I mean, financial, time and work quality costs. Under the assumption of the feature being already there, it should not hurt gamers who do not want the option.

However, the practical implementation of such feature is another matter. Said feature, is not already in the game, so there will be additional cost, for CDPR to put it there. That is what @Dragonbird Co. are saying. From a practical point of view, it hurts gamers who do not want a feature like that, because it will force additional costs on CDPR, and gamers will end up with a delayed or bugged game. Which is also true.

In our situation though, 8 months before release, CDPR will have to focus on the practical standpoint of the matter. Us gamers though can discuss all we want theoretically. We can't expect from CDPR to change their plans however. Hell, for all we know such feature might already be in game. Nobody has ever denied it. But that is just speculation.

On the nose. To add to that, certain features, like this, might have less of a worth if implemented after the fact, simply because many people may already be underway in the game, and not want to start anew. But moddability gives the player the option to venture down that path if they wish.

Well summarised :)

And, going back to a theoretical situation, if this discussion was taking place a year earlier?

I would still vote against eating/sleeping mechanics, because I don't think it adds to immersion, as it side-tracks you from the focus of the game, and I don't think it adds to realism because finding food in games tends to involve chests in crypts, or garbage cans. And, as a purely personal preference, I would have prefered them to spend the development effort elsewhere.

However, if we'd found out that the developers had decided to include it, optional or mandatory, I would not have suggested they remove it.

When taking operational expenses into account, I can see what you mean. Under the assumption the option was coming one way or the other, I could not understand why someone would want it removed, as they would then be seen as a person who wanted to remove a feature of the game that some people enjoy, and whose implementation would allow them to play the game in the manner they wanted already.
@saoe
The human (yes, I know, Geralt isn't human, and THAT could help his case) body can go 3 days without food/water. He should be able to meditate a day's worth without causing any harm to himself. Having not played Sims, ever, I can't really address your point that you associate this feature request with it vs. an RPG. What you see as hassles in this feature are part of the entertainment value for other players that you are proffering to remove. Where you don't want to be ever mindful of food rations, other players enjoy micromanaging. Thus, for you, you'd have the feature disabled. And that's fine; you have a more classic experience. But why someone would wish the (optional) feature out of a game (to disappoint other players who want it) seemed to be a logic I couldn't get my head wrapped around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom