Hunger/Thirst/Sleep & Notes

+
Hunger/Thirst/Sleep & Notes

Two things I'd love to see in tW3: Hunger/Thirst and Note-taking.

Hunger/Thirst/Sleep
First of all, this would be an option, defaulting to off, but allowing the player to enable it if they want the challenge. The premise is simple. We are on a massive quest, and as such, we need to maintain our strength. Hunger gives the player the opportunity to hunt, craft recipes for foods to take with us on our quests, or we can just stop by a local inn and get some grub. Thirst can be handled the same way, where we can brew beers and alcohol, which might have a pro/con to them, or use bottles/canteens to hold water. There could be water sources in the world, but they may be dirty and cause status ailments. Same with food. Some food might be safe to eat, other might require prep. And lastly, of course, sleep. Meditation would not count since you are not actively resting, just passing time. This opens up many opportunities for being restless, dreams, or having something happen at night (bandits raiding an inn!). Just a lot of opportunity and challenge on top of our epic quest for those who want it. :)

As for note taking, I'm fine with the Journal giving me the broad strokes, but I would LOVE for me to have a note taking ability where I can put pins on a map, put notes to each pin, or just have an empty writing area or task system with "mark done" functionality. A game of this scale has a lot of depth, and I'm a rather forgetful person. So maybe that's more on me... ;) Thoughts?

I'm all in for the notes. That souns like a clever system which could be implemented without much effort.

But I think the food system is too much additional work. They should imo rather concentrate on the already big vision of the game and the features they've already announced/promised. That's already a huge load of work for the next months. Developers must beware of feature creep.

I think food/hunger/sleep sounds like something for a big user mod, like we've seen it in other games.
That would be cool.

It isn't a survival game.

If it is already in and optional, fine, but adding such a feature so late in the development is a bad idea.

For the notes, well, i have paper and pens on my desk.

Would totally like to see them, post-release, along some update or if/when we get an Enhanced Edition on this one too

Two things I'd love to see in tW3: Hunger/Thirst and Note-taking.

Hunger/Thirst/Sleep
First of all, this would be an option, defaulting to off, but allowing the player to enable it if they want the challenge. The premise is simple. We are on a massive quest, and as such, we need to maintain our strength. Hunger gives the player the opportunity to hunt, craft recipes for foods to take with us on our quests, or we can just stop by a local inn and get some grub. Thirst can be handled the same way, where we can brew beers and alcohol, which might have a pro/con to them, or use bottles/canteens to hold water. There could be water sources in the world, but they may be dirty and cause status ailments. Same with food. Some food might be safe to eat, other might require prep. And lastly, of course, sleep. Meditation would not count since you are not actively resting, just passing time. This opens up many opportunities for being restless, dreams, or having something happen at night (bandits raiding an inn!). Just a lot of opportunity and challenge on top of our epic quest for those who want it. :)

As for note taking, I'm fine with the Journal giving me the broad strokes, but I would LOVE for me to have a note taking ability where I can put pins on a map, put notes to each pin, or just have an empty writing area or task system with "mark done" functionality. A game of this scale has a lot of depth, and I'm a rather forgetful person. So maybe that's more on me... ;) Thoughts?

Pointless, and especially do to the nature of the world you are in. It may be a war torn dark fantasy setting, but it also takes place in the south's incredibly stable highly populated economic empire Nilfgarrd. Geralt has no shortage of funds, and is never more than a few hours in (few minutes for us) away from an urban center he can simply buy, or earn food in easily.

Hah, funny thing, I do this playing the other witcher games, even though it is not implemented. I plan my day very carefully and stick to the plan,unless something really unexpected happens, in which case I improvise. But for me, there is always time for "sleep" (meditation in inns), at least 6 hours a day, in which hours I assume that Geralt drinks, eats and so on. I would love to see such a system implemented, but I too believe it is kind of a lot of work. Of course as Aegis said, it would be completely optional, since I can see how such system might "piss off" some gamers.

No please, a modder could do it later but spending time/money/resources on this IMO isn't a very good idea.

Jupiter_on_Mars

For me, the jury is still out on this one. Kingdom Come: Deliverance will be implementing something similar and I await what comes out of it. Too bad it launches after TW3 releases. As for notes, don't see why not.

One thing: Fallout:New Vegas - Hardcore mode.

And yes bring back as part of hardcore mode food and drinks.

And yes make it OPTIONAL

I had to make sure everyone who is opposed to it can understand....it's optional.

Many including miss food and drinks from Witcher 1 and many would appreciate it.Others who don't like simply won't have to deal with it.

Now please tell me how that's a bad thing cause win-win situation is such a bad thing. -.-

Last edited:
Yes to notes, no to everything else. It's a frustrating mechanic when all you want to do is play the game.

If it's optional, with no gameplay purpose, it does nothing. If turning it on has an impact on such features as vigor or vitality, it means that the developers have to build in two sets of mechanics. The fact that something is "optional" doesn't mean that it costs nothing to develop, or that it has no impact on those who "can just turn it off if you don't want it".

To quote one of my fellow moderators, feature-bloat is the nightmare of any software developer. I do NOT want to see the game delayed, or other features removed, or inadequate testing, for something that a significant number of fans will turn off as soon as they reach the options menu.

StaGiors, What do you want? A simple No should suffice to this idea? Want me to explain in 1000 words or so why this mechanic serves no purpose? Fine then...

A; It removes time from patching and polishing. The game already got delayed to February, why Should CD RED now implement a mechanic that both takes time and resources which will delay the game further?

B; If it's optional then what's the point? Why would CD RED implement a mechanic that could have a rather major effect on how the game play, plays out if people then can turn off it? That just emphasize that said mechanic were a waste of time. Time and resources are added to the game to enhance but also appeal to what the consumer want in said game. If X amount of time and money is spent on a major mechanics but won't see the light of day i.e being used then what's the point?

C; Complexity doesn't always mean better. Adding more clatter for people to carry and pay attention to will clog up the inventory and add a unnecessary extra element for people to pay attention to. This is not a good thing. mechanics and features should be there for the context not just for complexity. How will a hunger, thirst and sleep meter add anything to the basics of what Witcher is rather than serving as a extra nuisance?

D; It's poorly labelled. I thing OP didn't pay too much thought in how to better implement this or use it in a more convenient and better way for game play values. A better description would be a "Stamina/Energy" bar rather than dividing this into 3 different features/mechanics. Why add something extremely complicated which serves no other usage than being just treated as a stamina bar?

E; Features aren't necessary always a good thing. The sole purpose of this topic is added realism. The problem with this, is that Witcher is a game. It's not catered to be 100% realistic and it shouldn't be, especially if said features interfere with game play. Look at it from this way. Why doesn't CD RED implement a feature where Geralt could cut down trees? He can probably equip an axe and he could then use said axe to cut down trees to gain firewood to his fireplaces and also use it for torches etc (as well as creating forest fires etc). The reason is simple, it doesn't add to what Witcher is as a game (It's not Day Z, it's not Minecraft). It would be treated as a poor mechanics (Just as the stealth system was in Witcher 2 but even more out of context) and would be addressed as one of the annoying features that gamers get annoyed at.

F; It distract gamers from more important features of the game. How will you keep players reminded of this feature? Will the run around with chickens in their pockets or will they need to eat at a tavern or something? If it's the first one then see above point on running around with a lot of clatter. If it's the second one it will force players to constantly stay close to a Tavern. They can't explore, they are instead limited to watch Geralt as a pet in a tamagotchi, making sure he doesn't die in a important battle and/or need to refill at a tavern maybe miles away from the mountain where they now are ready to kill a monster. How does this add anything to gamers? And better yet, how does this mechanic not resulting in a lot of frustrated gamers.

G; It can effect sales. All reasons above finally summarizes into two final punches in the face for CD RED, these are money and PR. CD RED will spend money on a feature which might be a flop (it definitely would be if it's even optional) and it will effect PR if gamers doesn't enjoy it (assuming they've tried it). So either all gamers turn this feature of = Lost money for CD RED, or gamers turn it on and dislike it = Lost money & lost PR for CD RED. The only way this would be a success if all gamers like it and it weren't optional but that would push the game further into 2015 which mean more critique from publishers and share holders.

It might sound cynical but seeing as how no one ever even discussed this as a potential feature there's nothing else to be optimistic about regarding this feature. It's not necessary what you like that's important, it's what important as a whole for a video game. We can't cater to everyone all the time. In the end we should prioritize on things that make sense and improve the game play & I don't see how this mechanic would do. Again if you would rephrase it to a stamina bar which would recharge in time then this is a better way though to my knowledge this might already exist in Witcher 3. Whether it does however shouldn't play a major role on whether Witcher 3 is a good or a bad game.

Last edited:
@Juuuhan

Well, I didn't say CDPR should implement said feature, quite the opposite really. I just said that I personally would enjoy such a feature since I already try to do something.. somewhat similar in my playthroughs. I understand that such a feature would be more of a burden than a welcome addition, to most gamers, even me for that matter.
Still enjoyed reading your thorough explanations. :hatsoff:

Who need that in the Witcher 3 ? Its not some kind of DayZ or other realistic survival game , so why we need that hunger/thirst stuff ?

I approves the notes idea, also it would be good for example to put notes in your equipment, like so we could put: "good to fight against a single powerfull monster" or "sell this sword to the merchant named forius manolius, he has good offerts for silver sword" and so goes on
Also it would be cool to add npcs in your diary that aren't added by default, and then you write your personal note about him, like the same person of the example used before:Forius Manolius. Note:Good to sell silver swords or Jacques Levis. Note: if the plot gives you a chance, kill him

Is food/sleep going to be a thing?

I'm all about realistic gameplay elements like this, I thought fallout new vegas was a lot better for adding a sort of "hardcore" mode like this over previous fallout games (just using it as an example).

There anything on this?

If nothing official, they should try adding a gameplay setting which you can choose to play on that does this for hardcore RPG players like myself that like a challenge and realism.

Last edited:
Top Bottom