I am really baffled that the recommended level for HoS is 30+

+
I am also quite worried about the required level.

I wanted to start the expansion before I go to the isle of mists but right now, I have the isle of mists quest and I am only lvl 25.

Did all eligible treasure hunt quests and only have a few witcher contracts and side quests left.

I know I could only play the expansion but I wanna do both expansion within my current playthrough.

IMO HoS is totally different than anything in the main game so it makes perfect sense that is after the main storylines end.

And i Do hope that they do this for B&W as well,35+ or w/e and a fresh start option.

This doesn't make sense to me. It's a DLC expansion that is supposed to take place before you beat the game. But you're recommended to be at a level that you reach pretty much right around the time you beat the game. Am I the only one who sees the circular logic/conflict here? I suppose you could grind something hardcore but that's not really much of a solution.
It is DLC put out months after the release of the game. If they made it for a lower level, what the hell are the people who beat the game supposed to do?

---------- Updated at 02:42 PM ----------

That feels kind of contradictory though. 88 hours and level 35? Recommended level for HoS is at least 30. I'm guesstimating you reached level 35 at around the....what, 70 hour mark? Maybe 65 if I'm being generous? That means I'd have to beat 65-70 hours of content before I'd get to use any of the loot in HoS. That seems a bit....excessive to me. I don't know, something about it seems off. Let's say I acquire Iris? I've already beaten most of the game by then. What do I use Iris on? I guess I could run around in post-game but takes half the fun away.
I don't think it is too much to ask you to beat the main game first? Like really?! What is wrong with you? Doing only story missions you will be about level 32 or 33. Why are you so excited to play the expansion if you aren't even excited to play the game in the first place? "Am I the only one who sees the circular logic/conflict here?" Is what I say back to you my man.

That feels kind of contradictory though. 88 hours and level 35? Recommended level for HoS is at least 30. I'm guesstimating you reached level 35 at around the....what, 70 hour mark? Maybe 65 if I'm being generous? That means I'd have to beat 65-70 hours of content before I'd get to use any of the loot in HoS. That seems a bit....excessive to me. I don't know, something about it seems off. Let's say I acquire Iris? I've already beaten most of the game by then. What do I use Iris on? I guess I could run around in post-game but takes half the fun away.

Could always give some of the HoS gear a go in New Game +

That's what I'm doing, at any rate. My lvl 38 Geralt is equipped in the New Moon armor and wielding Iris' sword.

It's not the difficulty of reaching level 30 that's the problem. Some people seem to have misconstrued the point I was making with my thread. It's not that I necessarily want to play HoS as quickly as possible. It's that I wish to play the expansion without having to beat the entire game first. The crux of my issue lies within the level needed to play it and the fact that once you've beaten HoS, chances are you've already conquered most of the game or at the very least, want to just get on with New Game +.

Yeah I could just play HoS as a standalone but that doesn't solve my particular issue.

And make no mistake I LOVED HoS. Best writing, best characters, made me laugh, made me feel, This DLC gave me more bang for my buck than most standalone $60 titles. I am criticizing purely out of love for CDPR and TW 3 and this DLC because I wish to see it improved for next time. But there has to be a rhythm to this sort of thing. Otherwise you wind up with one of those terrible instances where you beat the final boss of a game, get this super awesome badass weapon or armor and then....

the game ends

No one likes it when that happens. And I've experienced it in other games before. New game + alleviates the issue I have a bit but not to the extent I'd like.

I'm with OP Chronoid. It's a problem of rhythm and timing: at the point one has reached the necessary level, it doesn't make much sense narratively to set aside saving Ciri in favor (Gaunter O'Dimm doesn't put Geralt under any kind of TIME pressure, so that's what it comes down to) of removing a skin rash from Geralt'sface...

My solution would be as follows, also adressing most other issues of timing, rhythm and narrative consistency:

Crosspost!

TW3 is a masterpiece and escapism in its best sense, but playing the fantastic HoS-DLC has made me highly aware of a problem I already sensed during my first playthrough: the massive amount of Side-Quests and especially the highly fleshed-out HoS-Questline don't go together with the time pressure the narrative of the main story line establishes.

After having read this thread, I agree that my preferred option - i.e. integrating the various endings into the world-states and let the DLC take off from there - isn't feasible in terms of the work and changes it would necessitate.

Therefore, I propose what might be a slightly "gamey", but nonetheless better solution than the narrative inconsistency that is currently bugging many players:

While departing to the Isle of Mists, the game explicitly mentions that we as players have reached a point of no return (which is already "gamey" as is, given the Save-your-Game-Pop-Up etc). Conviently, in some dialogue shortly before (don't remember verbatim, but i guess with Aval'lach) it is as well mentioned that the Wild Hunt cannot reach Ciri on the Isle of Mists and that she's explicitly safe there.

Why not draw the logical conclusion: give some generic, but narratively convincing explanation XY (whatever CDPRs brilliant writers might come up with...) why the Isle of Mists is only accessible on Day XY (full moon, Halloween, etc), a day which, unfortunately, Geralt has just missed and has therefore to wait for XY days. The NPC informing Geralt of this unfortunate but convenient delay could also encourage him to tie up loose ends, improve his gear etc etc., thereby also making the immersion-breaking pop-up superfluous.

Thence you had a time-span XY in-game the player could devote to Quests as HoS while remaining narratively consistent with the main story. Especially the DLCs would profit from this narrative integration.

Edit: Similar devices are well known in the genre (and I'm sure there is a term for it), think of the second act of BG:2 (not related to time, but coin). I'm aware & pretty sure that the Isles of Mists was conceived precisely for this purpose, but it would profit from the clarification described above.

Last edited:
... it doesn't make much sense narratively to set aside saving Ciri in favor (Gaunter O'Dimm doesn't put Geralt under any kind of TIME pressure, so that's what it comes down to) of removing a skin rash from Geralt's face....

It makes sense when the individual who put that rash on your face is essentially the Witcher equivalent of
Satan
. And Gaunter does actually specify a time for meeting Geralt and getting on with the business: "It's a deal. Once it's all over (i.e. he has saved Geralt from the ship's prison), we shall meet at midnight at the crossroads 'neath the willows near the village of Yantra."

It makes sense when the individual who put that rash on your face is essentially the Witcher equivalent of
Satan
. And Gaunter does actually specify a time for meeting Geralt and getting on with the business: "It's a deal. Once it's all over (i.e. he has saved Geralt from the ship's prison), we shall meet at midnight at the crossroads 'neath the willows near the village of Yantra."

Aye, the "red rash" was to be taken with a pinch of salt *g* But it's indeed the case that (after that first meeting you mentioned...) there seems to be no immediate urgency for Gaunter ... which is consistent with him being

Satan

and the questlines pacing in general. He seems very adamant that the debt is repaid, but rather relaxed towards the timeframe.

Be that as it may, the argument applies to all other late game questlines as well. It may appear as pedantic or nit-picking, but for me that really was the games single biggest problem. It's totally out of line with what the player assumes Geralts priorities to be. As mentioned, I believe that CDPR shared that concern and put the Isle of Mists in the game precisely for that purpose. Some narrative elaboration on what is already there would go a long way towards a more coherent experience, at least for me.

P.S. Sorry for my stilted english.

Last edited:
I think the game is meant to take place, chronologically, during the Final Third of the Game.

After Ciri is found but before the final battle with Eredin.

Obviously, you can play it beforehand but I think that makes the most sense.

It also means Geralt cheats on Triss or Yennefer but, eh, he does that with Keira too.

I think it is impossible to hit lvl 30 before the battle of Kaer Morhen...... : /

I am lvl 25 and a half and I am literally running out of quests to do before I enter the isle of mists.

Some quests give such low xp , I don' t get it. I go through so much trouble sometimes only to get 40xp.

I recently started an HoS game: Xbox One with 3 FreeLc's installed on 1.11.
Wolf School Gear, Haircuts and Finishing Moves. All are working with a fresh start.
New Game -> Hearts of Stone Only -> and away we go

You begin at Lvl32 with adequate equipment and sundries, including 42 skill points to distribute as you choose. All MQ quests are considered completed and the map is opened accordingly. Fair enough. So, before setting off on the HoS quests, I went and did a few oldies to feel fleshed out:
Practicum in Advanced Alchemy, Of Swords and Dumplings, Master Armorer, Wolf School Gear, and a few contracts for my preferred trophies and decoctions. Despite a few 1.11 graphical anomalies, things were playing out rather well.
I then confidently proceeded to the HoS area, still Lvl32, ready for what challenges CDPR would throw my way.

No spoilers here. However...
I first completed a secondary quest recommended for Lvl32. Whilst completing I advanced to Lvl33.
It was quite fun, challenging and interesting. So far so good. My reward?
I can only assume it was worth it because the reward is Lvl38.
Odd, that. :unsure:

I understand HoS is recommended at 30+. But even if a player arrives Lvl38 plus, the said side quest will be 6 levels below their character. Significantly, in a stand alone play, CDPR has you begin at Lvl32 and adequately equipped. So I'm a little baffled why a Lvl32 side quest's reward is Lvl38. In an HoS only play, I'll never see it. Perhaps this is something that can be adjusted in the near future winkwinknudgenudge. Just a thought.

I hope CDPR will consider making some adjustments in these inconsistent level matters. Thanks.
- Nef

Last edited:
I actually htink the story makes perfect sense to come after the main game.

The story is a sizeable distraction and doesn't really feel like it should happen while you're saving the world (not that you're short of distractions in the vanilla game).
Also, me being curbstomped by Yen and Triss, Shani is a welcome plus to the after story.
Furthermore, the story begins with geralt just taking a contract, which is exactly what he should be doing after the main game. Witchering.

Actually, in this setup, I hope the next expansion is the same.
And th elevel requirement is perfect for both people wanting to do this quest right before the final boss, or after it.
It'd be pointless to place it at 20-something, since you already have sooooo much opportunity at getting exp there.

I actually htink the story makes perfect sense to come after the main game.
Yes it does, but there's one major problem. When you've completed the main story the game world reverts back to pre-chapter 3. So all the characters from the main game should still be there. Also the king Radovid situation isn't finished because you've "gone back in time" but during HOS there is dialogue to suggest otherwise. its a bit of a mess.
This is why I don't feel HOS is an expansion, but feels more like a tacked on side quest for players who've already beaten the main game and want higher level npcs and monsters.

So I'm level 54 with like 46 questions marks and 101 question marks in Skellige. I've just recently began anything in Skellige. My goal is to do the HoS stuff BEFORE isle of mists. I have to.. otherwise what's the use of runewords and upgrades from HoS if the game is already done!? :(

I get it if I were starting fresh at HoS, a new game.. or if I was starting a new playthrough and did HoS at 30 before finishing the game.. but the levels are obviously a bit off and need re-adjusting. From many different standpoints.

Like I posted before, I ended my last NG run at level 41, thanks to HoS. (and No Grey Quest or the final chapter would give me no xp, possibly). Started NG+ and now, at level 60, with all POI, contracts and Scavenger's Hunts yet to complete, I'll start HoS again at level 62 way before going to the Isle of Mists, which I could not do in NG, as pointed in previous posts. But there's a dialogue line in HoS that suggests a different path if we do HoS before the Isle. I want to see it!

I only did MQ until Skellige's then a couple side quests that Ugly Baby would cause to fail and started Ugly Baby without doing anything but exploring Kaer Morhen for my Witcher's Wolf Set, side quests there and back to the world to do contracts, exploration, scavenger's hunts until I have the level for HoS. Tried it at level 58 and while green enemies were defeatable, red one were invincible. I simply could not hurt them at all, thus I'm going back at the suggested level.

As a standalone, I am simply not interested in playing it. As part of the main game, doing it before the end chapter, HoS is one of the best game expansions I've ever seen.

Top Bottom