+

Guest 3847602

I liked driving in CP though. Even the two mandatory quests.
Same. I was worried after seeing some footage of driving in Cyberpunk 2-3 months before the release. It looked weird, physics felt unnatural, as if the cars have no weight at all, I think I've compared it to the Batmobile from Arkham Knight. Thankfully they did some tweaking in the meantime.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the past, I quite heavily criticized Fallout 4 as being very bad when it comes to roleplay, but thanks to C2077 it now feels like a good RPG.

Sure, you do you. As I said above, it's a matter of taste. "Cliche, predictable and extremely bland" perfectly describes how I feel about every Bethesda's game with the exception of Morrowind.

If they returned to how Fallout 2 was written and the really dark-side things of the Fallout-universe, they'd have age-restrictions on their game. As for how CP2077 is written, there wasn't any 'twist' or surprises. At least in Fallout 4, you'd have the twist that
your son was in fact the leader of the Institute

After playing how many video-games, I've noticed developers tends to focus on specific action-sequences/mechanics/graphics, and not so much on story. Half Life 2, which drew me into video-games in general, had excellent writing, use of the environment as tools, puzzles and platform-jumping - and I consider it the best game of all time despite it being linear and really old (seventeen years since release).

Cyberpunk 2077 has some twists I didn't see coming, and it pulls the game up in my opinion. The writing is good as well, but the emotional impact (Pyramid Song and other quests) is why I really like the game.

Guest 3847602

If they returned to how Fallout 2 was written and the really dark-side things of the Fallout-universe, they'd have age-restrictions on their game.
It's not about killing children or shooting adult videos. Style of humor in classic Fallout is dark humor, in Bethesda's Fallout it's "lol-I'm-so-random-and-quirky". But, most importantly, classic Fallout depicts society that is evolving and has moved past the apocalypse, Bethesda's Fallout is about the world perpetually stuck in the 1950s.
As for HL2, I have very similar opinion, but the reason I don't consider it one of the best stories in gaming is that its story was left unfinished and in all likelihood it's never gonna be finished.
Cyberpunk doesn't have "WTF twists", but the story is consistently well-told, central plot doesn't rely on characters acting like idiots, major characters are interesting and with distinct personalities and dialogue is fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Idk, cp2077 main quest was pretty pathetic. Cliche, predictable and extremely bland. I'd take Fallout 4s branching story over the linear one of cp2077 where your choices don't really matter until the point of no return

for me there were nearly no surprises as well in cps storyline other than LoU/LoU2 where you really get knock out of the park with your opinion how the story evolvs - like "wtf for real?...". Or NieR/Nier:Automata similar unseen turning-points, which i didnt had in CP myself. Story in itself is written okay-ish but with nearly non surpises - at least for me. Talking about character development nothing beats how Yuna evolved from FFX to FFX-2 or Lightning in her triology. Crystal Dynamics & SE also did a good job in the TR triology with Lara. Sure its easier to judge those chars over several games - but CP for me comes with kinda fix stereo types and a weak/under developed main char (V) in favor to let Johnny shine all the way.... ( f.e. lifepathes which actually doesnt matter at all)

Last edited:
By the past, I quite heavily criticized Fallout 4 as being very bad when it comes to roleplay, but thanks to C2077 it now feels like a good RPG.
I’m not sure if you said this as a joke, but this has truly been my experience. I never made it more than like 10-15 hours into Fallout 4 in the past, despite trying at least a half dozen times.

Since a second playthrough of CP is still entirely unappealing and there’s nothing else fresh in the RPG genre that looked interesting, I gave Fallout another try and am actually having a blast. Only activated one mod (Dogmeat + companion) and now I’m nearly 60 hours and already planning my next playthrough.

for me there were nearly no surprises as well in cps storyline other than LoU/LoU2 where you really get knock out of the park with your opinion how the story evolvs - like "wtf for real?...". Or NieR/Nier:Automata similar unseen turning-points, which i didnt had in CP myself. Story in itself is written okay-ish but with nearly non surpises - at least for me. Talking about character development nothing beats how Yuna evolved from FFX to FFX-2 or Lightning in her triology. Crystal Dynamics & SE also did a good job in the TR triology with Lara. Sure its easier to judge those chars over several games - but CP for me comes with kinda fix stereo types and a weak/under developed main char (V) in favor to let Johnny shine all the way.... ( f.e. lifepathes which actually doesnt matter at all)
That's very subjective, plot twists are not necessary to tell excellent story. Often they are cheap.
Let's say my favourite movies are:
Seven Samurai, Andrej Rublov, Apocalypse Now, Thin Red Line, Dracula (1992), Departed, Mad Max (2015). I think only Departed used some plottwists (maybe) and that's it.
There is nothing like underdeveloped main character: some people will get more info, value from one frame or scene,it's obvious for visual storytelling.

I've sunk more hours into FO4 than I care to admit. Most of it down to OCD from the loot and settlement system than enjoyment. I won't touch MMO for the same reason I have now sworn off near infinite sandbox open-worlds. At least CP2077 has a somewhat interesting story and characters not so easily lost in mindless minutia.

That is the sad truth. The bigger RPG becomes, the less choices u will have. Voiced main character doesnt help too. Look at Witcher 2 and compare it to Witcher 3. That is why i would like next CDPR game to be big hubs ala deus ex or witcher 2. Leave open world behind for now! It takes +8 years to finish these games and they dont have enough options as RPGs imo.

Only way to play Fallout 4 is on survival and perma death, the panic when you hear a super mutant beeping is priceless :p

Anyone played FO4 with that horror mod. Man's it's creepy. I forget what it's called, but ghouls scared the shit out of me. I also had a mod that made guns extremely lethal. Well, everything really. Really makes the game feel very different.

I bet someone could do something like that with Cyberpunk. If you made everything more realistic the game would feel very different. Limit inventory, ammo, everything. It would have to balanced on enemy end but it would be interesting.

I am sure happy that is not my experience. I have been playing a heavily modded Fallout 4 now for over decade what feels like a decade (and still play it once a month) with out said issues. However my post was about WHY Bethesda goes on strong with their "old Engine" despite their reputation for bugs.

If CDPR or any DEV could copy the unique ability of that engine and also allow complete and easy access to moding the hard code Bethesda would be forced to change their ways.

I just started using the DXVK (Vulkan Wrapper) and Buffout 4 so now my game is very stable. There are a lot of buggy and script heavy mods that will eventually bork your game. Especially on Turing or later GPUs.

Now with Buffout 4 I can trace CTDs to specific mods, so that has helped a lot. I had to get rid of all the huge creature overhaul mods like anything by UniqueNPCs, Wasteland Redone, and Crows and Creatures.

I've always had PANPC in my load order which is very script heavy and my game would always eventually just go to hell. It's running well now.

I've got both Sim Settlements 2 and PANPC in one playthrough.

Playing through it just makes me appreciate Cyberpunk that much more. There was a lot that CyberPunk 2077 got right. There was no lul or dull part of the game, I never felt like I was grinding. I felt like there were some parts that could have been more fleshed out but I just moved on to the next quest and actually playing the game was a lot of fun. It's just the way they ended the game that really soured the rest of the game for me.

People can complain about Fallout 4's writing all they want but, they had enough sense not to discourage you from continuing with the game with an ending like that.

People can complain about Fallout 4's writing all they want but, they had enough sense not to discourage you from continuing with the game with an ending like that.
Surprisingly, it's the endings that I didn't like in Fallout 4.
Either you make a huge crater instead of the institute, or you coldly kill the Railroad, or you crash the steel brotherhood.
Frankly, I was a little disappointed the first time... After I almost always stop all my playthrough when I had no other choice than these three :(

Fallout 4 was pretty good, but its merit wasn't the main storyline, but rather the sidequests and the ability to mod it.
Pretty much the same applies to Skyrim. Mediocre storyline, but fun sidequests and great mods.

Cyberpunk 2077 by comparison: decent storyline, fun sidequests, but it's sadly too complicated to mod to get serious traction with the modding community.

First of all, the modding community will need a stable base version. That's going to take a while, and I don't expect one until all DLCs have been released.
Second, we're going to need convenient access to edit the world. Add doors and accesspoints at least, import new objects and meshes instead of just replacing existing ones.
Third, we need the ability to add scripts, to make things work, add triggers to make our content respond to what's happening around it, tell NPCs to do X or move to Y, all that kind of stuff.
Some built-in mod-manager would be awesome as well, by the way.

Overall, I think Cyberpunk 2077 is better than either Fallout 4 or Skyrim, but sadly lacks the longivity of these two if the ability to mod it doesn't at least get to the same level.

Fallout 4 is a different kind of game.

It has a story. A deep one. For me, it was the mother finding her son, aged beyond her age, and it happened so she would have also picked up his work (out of her own beliefs). The strength of that is hard to break through.

Very specific for me is that I enjoy a high amount of details. And that is something Cyberpunk 2077 rocks at. It is unmatched by anything I've seen before. Tell you, throughout 2020, I was feeding on CoD: MW. Verdansk is huge and so it took a while, but I ate it up. Then I moved off to Control. That one has many repetitive elements, but also a lot of space to explore. Cyberpunk 2077? That will feed me longer than CoD: MW and Control combined.

Another thing Cyberpunk 2077 rocks at is the quality of the world: the. buildings... If I let it carry me away, I could stare into most of them for long. In other words, the way the NC is built. is truly breathtaking for me.
Post automatically merged:

Appendix: thinking of the Cyberpunk 2077 story, there's the word punk. Without knowing some deeper meaning to 'cyberpunk', I do expect the story to be shallow in a way, and that is the deepest thing about it. Think about that. Outcast from a society finds their space as a merc... mother, children, partner -- none. Friends, scarce. The absence of the depth on its own can be very deep by realizing it isn't voluntary.

Then this punk gets a fancy job that changes their life upside down. They are put on a countdown and have to do things they'd never imagined they'd be doing. Looking at it that way, it isn't any less deep than the Fallout 4 story. It's just different. In other words, that having crossed my mind, I have to add that Fallout 4 doesn't really go any deeper than Cyberpunk 2077 story-wise, even though it might take a certain audience to 'get it'.

I've created quite a bond with V's identity, be it the Little China district, which feels like home to me, or the crap situations she gets into. That is worth being called content. Oh, for completeness, I have over 400 hours in CP2077 by now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom