+
Appendix: thinking of the Cyberpunk 2077 story, there's the word punk. Without knowing some deeper meaning to 'cyberpunk', I do expect the story to be shallow in a way, and that is what is most deep about it. Think about that. Outcast from society finds their space as a merc... mother, children, partner -- none. Friends, scarce. The absence of the depth on its own can be very deep by realizing it isn't voluntary.
I liked this definition of cyberpunk from the third edition
1624225564531.png

Screw all the criticism, Bethesda is the only company that can make a proper open world RPG.
God bless Todd Howard.
I've got like 1000 hours logged on Fallout 4. It's an amazing game. Its very easy for me to keep going back and replaying over and over again. For whatever reason, some of you more hardcore gamers might be able to explain it. Me, I don't know why, it's just a very easy game to replay even though I have most of that game memorized.

CP77 is just a very different game in my mind. I have a hard time replaying it, but it did offer me more in some ways I never got from Fallout. The Fallout storyline is fine in my opinion. But as you progress through the story, it just didn't really feel engaging. CP77 brought me closer to the story and yeah I liked the story. I thought it was kind of interesting, a bit unique, and that game brought me close into all of that. It brings you close into scary parts of humanity that we all know exist. Lots of filth, language, adult themes, etc that in my opinion have been shown in an artful way.

Fallout is different, its a very fun game, but as you progress, you feel like you are further away from all of it.

I've got like 1000 hours logged on Fallout 4. It's an amazing game. Its very easy for me to keep going back and replaying over and over again. For whatever reason, some of you more hardcore gamers might be able to explain it. Me, I don't know why, it's just a very easy game to replay even though I have most of that game memorized.

CP77 is just a very different game in my mind. I have a hard time replaying it, but it did offer me more in some ways I never got from Fallout. The Fallout storyline is fine in my opinion. But as you progress through the story, it just didn't really feel engaging. CP77 brought me closer to the story and yeah I liked the story. I thought it was kind of interesting, a bit unique, and that game brought me close into all of that. It brings you close into scary parts of humanity that we all know exist. Lots of filth, language, adult themes, etc that in my opinion have been shown in an artful way.

Fallout is different, its a very fun game, but as you progress, you feel like you are further away from all of it.
Well this is only my opinion which is totally subjective :)
- Mods obviously (even on consoles)
- The fact that in Fallout the story takes up less space. There are rarely quests where there is only storytelling. It's always some dialogues, an area to explore (loot / fight) and a some dialogues. So even completely ignoring the story, you can more easily "have fun". Unlike Cyberpunk where there are often quests where it is only narration (Both sides, Blistering Love, The Information,...)
- The "inifnite" quests and loots/fights. I could spend hours just redoing quests/exploring for loot (even just junk items to build my awesome base), money or experience because it respawns every time.

So unless you're really addicted to history and the Cyberpunk world, it's less obvious to dive back into it and have as much fun as the first time :)

Got platinum on FO4 (and 3 and NV), and think the comparison is a little off. However I miss the "wierd encounters" or the "strangers and freaks" from GTA, and surprises, the question marks all are similar encounters, a little weirdness wouldn't hurt. The RPG element is stronger in FO, and the augments are a bit OP. But the games are really different, CP is in my opinion closer to Deus Ex, and GTA than Bethesda's games or Witcher. It also has some similarities with ME, I'm playing it parallel with Legendary Edition right now, and can see similarities. A shorter main story that can be expanded if you want to, and expanded the games has much to give

Well this is only my opinion which is totally subjective :)
- Mods obviously (even on consoles)
- The fact that in Fallout the story takes up less space. There are rarely quests where there is only storytelling. It's always some dialogues, an area to explore (loot / fight) and a some dialogues. So even completely ignoring the story, you can more easily "have fun". Unlike Cyberpunk where there are often quests where it is only narration (Both sides, Blistering Love, The Information,...)
- The "inifnite" quests and loots/fights. I could spend hours just redoing quests/exploring for loot (even just junk items to build my awesome base), money or experience because it respawns every time.

So unless you're really addicted to history and the Cyberpunk world, it's less obvious to dive back into it and have as much fun as the first time :)
The settlement customization mechanic in Fallout is just addictive. So much room for personality and creativity there.

Or you can just put a bowlers hat on Codsworth and watch him float around and saw off raider's arms, or setting them on fire while speaking proper English. That shit is hilarious. "I'm coming back, mum" after he just murders a bunch of people. ROFL

But as far as CP77 goes, honestly I couldn't ask for anything different. I got a very moving experience, it was a wild ride, even if I can only ride it once, I think it's better than not riding at all.

Now that this new patch has been out, the game seems more workable. I might be able to play through again. It feels almost like a new game, or it might just be my new computer. Either way.

I created a few other characters since my kinda 'regrettable' first. I've created "the wanderer" no factions. Has never went to Concord. Preston is still on that balcony and raiders occasionally spawn. If I'm nearby I sometimes kill the raiders but never get conversation close to preston. I always got my distance... dude likes to explore, and help. Very simple character...

Another character whom will never join the minute men... the freak. The freak will have all the horrendous perks and stuff and will do so much drugs and alcohol. He's beyond mad. Something clicked in his head after being tricked into as cryogenic state and helplessly watched his wife killed and son take. Part of him died. Seeing the horrible waste land was the nail in his coffin. On rare occasions he helps people outta the kindness of his heart but for the mist part he really is gone. Always has been since he left that vault.

I have a strict military man that is pretty no nonsense. Big guns and stuff. Joined the Brotherhood. Reminded him of his service. Also simple character.

And lastly... a railroad lawyer... I made the wife a railroad. I found the wife's backstory makes for an interesting railroad agent.

The husband could have joined the railroad. He's seen the horrors or war and the Brotherhood are just that... and my character just dives back into that life?

Codsworth from Fallout is kind of like Stewie from Family guy
I created a few other characters since my kinda 'regrettable' first. I've created "the wanderer" no factions. Has never went to Concord. Preston is still on that balcony and raiders occasionally spawn. If I'm nearby I sometimes kill the raiders but never get conversation close to preston. I always got my distance... dude likes to explore, and help. Very simple character...

Another character whom will never join the minute men... the freak. The freak will have all the horrendous perks and stuff and will do so much drugs and alcohol. He's beyond mad. Something clicked in his head after being tricked into as cryogenic state and helplessly watched his wife killed and son take. Part of him died. Seeing the horrible waste land was the nail in his coffin. On rare occasions he helps people outta the kindness of his heart but for the mist part he really is gone. Always has been since he left that vault.

I have a strict military man that is pretty no nonsense. Big guns and stuff. Joined the Brotherhood. Reminded him of his service. Also simple character.

And lastly... a railroad lawyer... I made the wife a railroad. I found the wife's backstory makes for an interesting railroad agent.

The husband could have joined the railroad. He's seen the horrors or war and the Brotherhood are just that... and my character just dives back into that life?
I would take the minutemen over the raiders.

Thats one thing that Fallout got right, about differentiating different people to pick a side. You had the minutemen, the railroad, the Brotherhood, and the Institution. But no answer was right or wrong. I appreciated that. It's just different mindsets getting their own ending.

Codsworth from Fallout is kind of like Stewie from Family guy

I would take the minutemen over the raiders.

Thats one thing that Fallout got right, about differentiating different people to pick a side. You had the minutemen, the railroad, the Brotherhood, and the Institution. But no answer was right or wrong. I appreciated that. It's just different mindsets getting their own ending.
I happily took the minutemen in my first and last two mentioned playthroughs. My railroad lady wore the minuteman leader's armor until I got the silver shroud attire upgraded.

I tried all endings, but found out the best way is to become the director. A technologically advanced society seeemed a much better alternative than the Railroad. What would be the point of the Railroad if/when they succeed? And the Bortherhood of Steel... In Fallout 3 with Elder Lyons, they didn't completely dehumanize non-members, while in Fallout 4 they'd gone off the rails completely. I did all endings for completeness sake, but my 'canon' is Nora becoming the director of the Institute.

Problem with CDPR new games ( i include Witcher 3 here ) is that the bigger the game got the less choice u got in the story. Everything is cosmetic and doesnt change the quesatline you are on. That is fine for first playthrough when player has still this illusion of choice.
CDPR created very linear story where dialogue chocies dont rly matter 90% of time. You mostly play Cyberpunk for cinematic linear story experience in open world. That is a shame bec Witcher 1 and 2 had great chocies that changed narative. IMO open world design rly didnt work well for the studio.
So I think that's fair. The bigger the world gets, the more crazy complicated it gets to implement really significant branching stories. And also the more time consuming. If you take Witcher 3, which is almost absurdly long in its main quest, if you had fundamental story branches that deliver wholly different story arcs, it would probably take a studio three or four times the size to deliver all the consequences.

Personally I prefer CDPR's approach of strongly written stories that are, to an extent, more linear, over weak writing with a lot of choice. At a certain point, if you're just spraying three significantly different plot branches at every juncture, you will inevitably see the quality of the overall narrative experience fall to pieces.

Last edited:
So I think that's fair. The bigger the world gets, the more crazy complicated it gets to implement really significant branching stories. And also the more time consuming. If you take Witcher 3, which is almost absurdly long in its main quest, if you had fundamental story branches that deliver wholly different story arcs, it would probably take a studio three or four times the size to deliver all the consequences.

Personally I prefer CDPR's approach of strongly written stories that are, to an extent, more linear, over weak writing with a lot of choice. At a certain point, if you're just spraying three significantly different plot branches at every juncture, you will inevitably see the quality of the overall narrative experience fall to pieces.
I like CDPR style of strong characters and focusing on lore too. My point would be for them to comeback to big hub maps ala Witcher 2/Dues Ex. Game world still can feel big around you but bec it is not open world they can add more choices to their stories. I think they are afraid casual gamers will see this as a failure. Everybody in maintream gaming wants games to be bigger and bigger. CDPR leaving open world design and creating only big hubs would prob bring in some haters. Imo if the game would be good these haters would not have ammo anyway.

The problem for Cyberpunk isnt the Open world, its that they changed the storyline several times, the decision to center the game around Johnny being made rather late. The Open World, where Johnny appears or where you do things that affect the main story also had to change and these changes were appearantly never completed, added in simplified form due to time constraints or properly implemented. Open world games arent easy to do, but if done right, they are absolutely amazing. And CDPR can make a good open world game if they want to, they have the people and the talent. They didnt really fail, they were never able to finish the game and the untapped potential is there for everyone to see.

I respect the heck out of CDPR for even attempting to make a game that actually shouldn't be possible and choosing a genre that is difficult to redraw originality from. They did an amazing job and I really believe the DLC's will be the full true cyberpunk experience we have been wanting for the past 20 years.

Guest 3847602

Hear, hear. What's the point of having a lot of choices if the game doesn't make me care about any of them? It's the writers' job to give them proper context, to make them truly meaningful, if they fail at it, then no amount of freedom can make up for that.

Hear, hear. What's the point of having a lot of choices if the game doesn't make me care about any of them? It's the writers' job to give them proper context, to make them truly meaningful, if they fail at it, then no amount of freedom can make up for that.

Speaking of writers giving proper context - game is full of lore stating not to go to most lawless district in the city - pacifica - because its not under ncpd jurisdiction yet they go after you just like anywhere else lol....

Guest 3847602

Speaking of writers giving proper context - game is full of lore stating not to go to most lawless district in the city - pacifica - because its not under ncpd jurisdiction yet they go after you just like anywhere else lol....
It is still under NCPD jurisdiction, they just avoid patrolling there because it's too dangerous for them.
Instead of police, in most cases, it will either be Afterlife mercenaries or Militech who's going to respond to the players causing carnage in Pacifica.

Last edited by a moderator:
The main story and side quests are more impactful than in FO4. But with FO4, I feel that you can play the game however you want.

Top Bottom