I can't seem to get a hang of the combat system :(

+
I can't seem to get a hang of the combat system :(

I played through the Witcher on Dark mode several times without any issues, and I've played the Witcher 3 for about 10 hours now on normal difficulty, and I still don't feel like I've gotten any better with this games combat. Sometimes it feels like I'm getting worse D: Enemy tactics and behavior don't really seem to change that much between difficulty levels, the only difference being the amount of damage they can take and dish out. So far fighting humans has been absolutely fine for the most part (although avoiding arrows can be a pain at times, especially if Geralt hasn't entered combat mode), and 1 vs 1 fights of any kind work beautifully regardless of the enemy type.

My main issue has been with mobs of monsters, like drowners and ghouls, or beasts like wild dogs and wolves. Against these kinds of enemies you simply cannot parry or counterattack; the only way to avoid being hit is to either dodge or roll out of the way. Now against a single enemy this works great, but when your going up against 3 or more enemies, what inevitably happens to me is the following: A wolf runs at me, closely followed by his friends. He lunges at me, I dodge (not roll) out of the way. But in the process of dodging that one wolf, the wolf directly behind him or next to him also lunges at me a moment later. Once Geralt is dodging in any particular direction you can't seem to change the direction of the dodge, or initiate a new one, in other words you are locked into the animation. By the time I regain control I've already been struck by the second wolf's attack. Sometimes this can result in a stun lock depending on the attack sequence of that particular foe.

It seems that the main strategy to dealing with these types of enemies is to dodge their lunging attacks, and then hit them whilst they recover from the miss. But in doing so I encounter another issue: I simply cannot get to that enemy in time to attack as a result of the rather large distance created when I dodge their lunge, and because Geralt decides to slowly walk during combat instead of moving swiftly. Usually what happens is I dodge the attack, but by the time I manage to get within range to attack, they've already recovered and are able to attack me again, or I get swarmed by the other enemies before I can even reach them, forcing me to either take the hit, or dodge out of the way, preventing me from actually attacking.

I just can't seem to get any kind of crowd control going, as the enemies seem to always stick with one another, no matter how much I try to kite them, with no real stragglers that I can pick off as I would in the Witcher 2. The targeting system also seems a bit stiff, but this might just be me.
Now theoretically I could just keep dodging out of the way and hit the enemies with igni, keep dodging until my stamina regenerates and repeat, not using my sword at all, but this seems rather silly considering that Geralt is a Witcher not a mage.
So my question is, what am I doing wrong? Would Yrden actually be effective in these kinds of situations?

I seem to do fine with packs of Wolves, not so much with Drowners as they jump further. I have noticed that diving out the way, often takes you too far out of striking range and dodging is better but it feels riskier as you still feel surrounded. You will often need to dodge 3-4 times in a row, and in different directions to avoid getting hit but will often find yourself behind the pack if you manage to wave your way through the pack, I usually follow up with Igni at this point and let loose a few quick slashes.

Don't slash too much as the mobs will often dodge and counter you, and use signs like Aard, Igni and Quen to help drive back attacks. You need to be patient and learn to read the movements of whoever you are fighting so you can anticipate when to dodge.

It's all a tactical approach I guess, I'm playing on Sword and Story difficulty (normal) so it's not a HUGE deal if I get hit a few times in combat but dealing with groups is a matter of changing up tactics. For one, I never use the targeting system in multiple enemy fights, it's as likely to get you killed as anything as it focuses on the same enemy even if another is closer, and the AI doesn't care who you target, everyone is going all out on you (which I like).

Definitely use signs, They are all useful in group situations. Aard can break an enemy's stride for a quick second giving you time to get better footing or a few strikes in. Igni can sometimes set an enemy on fire giving you time to focus on the ones not burning, Yrden does slow down some enemies so you can try to use it. Quen is a no brainer, helping give you a defense boost, and Axii is really helpful as it will take at least one enemy out of the fight for a bit.

Try fighting on horseback, holding the attack button down as you approach an enemy slows time letting you get a good clean swipe in.

Using bombs and special bolts can be a good supplement tactic but a bit expensive on normal trash groups.

Always prioritize your opponents when you can, pick off the ranged ones first, then focus fire down the weakest. If the group has a leader or a unit with a shield, save them for last.

Never stay in close quarters with any opponent except when striking them... let them come to you, parry or counter if you need to, dodge around them, get a few strikes in, then roll away and get some distance between you and them. Hit them with signs right before opening up in melee and if you are getting a bit overwhelmed, retreat, eat some food, then reassess and come back with a better idea of how to tackle the enemies.

make heavy use of bombs and signs to add dmg or control enemies ... dont save your pots/bombs etc, just use them :)

be aware of your enemies positioning before rolling/doding (crucial for drowner-grps)

pick your attacks ... better just get 1-2 attacks in without taking dmg than making 3 hits and losing half your hp

positioning is key

also sometimes it's better to hit not the drowner that lunged at you but the one that's preparing to hit you right as you would hit the first drowner

also make use of the skill that lets you cast signs with adrenaline

my combat technique improved a lot after i changed key mapping - instead of a space controling the roll, i assigned it to dodge, which is more useful and doesnt take stamina to execute. this way i still get out of danger, but my sign casting is not impacted.

best advice for pc-players: go controller ... it helps A LOT !!!
im not a fan of controller, but in this case: i love it :p

Top Bottom