Jobs Support Register

I consider w3 an all-time great game, but I have a few complaints

+

immessingaround

Junior Member
#1
I consider w3 an all-time great game, but I have a few complaints

Please critique my issues/complaints with this masterpiece.

1. Main story at certain spots feels "off." I feel like Novigrad needed more main story (oxenfurt as well) in it. I didn't like the dandelion "find the 5 women" section at all. Maybe this should have been optional. I wish there was more story tied to that temple guard caleb meng guy that was looking for Triss. Also, if its true the wild hunt were supposed to attack novigrad that would have helped with this issue definitely. Wish it had some more politics to it as well.

Skellige, I also feel, needed a bit more story to it involving the disaster in the forest. That part was cool, but it took me 85 hours to reach that point on my first playthrough and the entire time I was wondering what would happen when I reached the destroyed frozen forest with Yen. You eventually meet Yen and the druid, do a small not even 5 minute what seemed like an escort quest, then you're done there and move onto the eastern island. I didn't like this. I felt like it needed just a bit more fleshing out or substance happening there.

2. Radovid. Not much to say here. I HATE how his character was written. I hate how he lost his mind and was acting like a nut. He was 100x better written at the end of the witcher 2. He felt like a real ruler and king there. Don't mean to be harsh, but I was sick of him the moment I saw how he was written when we meet him with Roache.

3. Loot system is uninspiring. Made a post in the cyberpunk fears thread: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...11#post9706511

In short, I think the loot system needed more handplaced loot like how da origins/kotor does it. How you do this in an open world? Not sure, I'm not a designer. I also hate how yet again this is another rpg where equipment crafted trivializes most all other loot found in the game. I hope cyberpunk doesn't have this problem.

4. Wild Hunt weren't strong characters. Would have been cool if a few of them had backstory like the hearts of stone characters do. Don't have much of an issue here since I did overall like the ending and the expansions' strong storytelling remedies any issues I have with the wild hunt.

5. Bigger text/subtitles. Again, I hope cyberpunk doesn't have this problem. I play on my ps4 on a 40in hdtv and a lot of games have issues with text size. The "large" option wasn't big enough. I was a huge option. I hope for cyberpunk you guys test playing on consoles while playing on a tv around 40inches and fix the text size issue.

That's about it for all my complaints. Most of them are minor. The main story feeling "off" in novigrad is my only real major complaint for this game. Even though there was 35+ hours of content in just one rpg city that was novigrad, I still feel it needed a bit more main story tied to it. Dkjistra was awesome, though.
 
Last edited:

Maerd

NC Citizen
#3
immessingaround;n9706591 said:
Please critique my issues/complaints with this masterpiece.
Oh, some time ago there was quite a few threads with elaborated and well-deserved criticism. The game is definitely a masterpiece but it's nowhere a perfect game. It's just competition is so bad that even not so great TW3 content looks better than similar content in other games. Here are some links for you, maybe, you'll find it interesting (huge spoilers, obviously):

1. Immersion Destroyer
2. Why the main narrative in the last third of the game is a bad hot mess
3. The lack of Witcher 2 decisions and content in The Witcher 3.
4.
Eredin says 12 sentences during the whole game
5. Analysis: With Witcher 3 CDPR no longer treat the players like adults
6. Main Campaign Really Needs an Enhanced Edition after Hearts of Stone

Enjoy reading... ;)
 

sv3672

Max-Tac
#4
Yes, the game is not perfect, but it not quite as bad as reading those old threads would make one think, either. It is really unlikely now that any of the complaints would be addressed (and some already were to an extent in the expansions and patches), but future games by CDPR can hopefully be even better after learning from any flaws in TW3, of which the developers themselves might very well be just as critical even if not showing it in public.
 

Maerd

NC Citizen
#5
sv3672;n9711171 said:
it not quite as bad as reading those old threads would make one think, either.
Well, those posts don't claim that the game is bad, they just point out existing issues with the game. Most of the game is brilliant, but it has quite a few ugly pieces here and there. And, unfortunately, in other similar games of this genre those issues are way worse.
 

SigilFey

Moderator
#6
Cool post, man! (I'm having fun. :))

immessingaround;n9706591 said:
Please critique my issues/complaints with this masterpiece.
1. Main story at certain spots feels "off." I feel like Novigrad needed more main story (oxenfurt as well) in it. I didn't like the dandelion "find the 5 women" section at all. Maybe this should have been optional. I wish there was more story tied to that temple guard caleb meng guy that was looking for Triss. Also, if its true the wild hunt were supposed to attack novigrad that would have helped with this issue definitely. Wish it had some more politics to it as well.
Find the 5 women = necessary character establishment for the whole Dandelion + Priscilla thing. I think it was necessary to reflect Dandelion's "normal" relationships with women and their response to him. Basically, they obsess over each other sexually, they don't really form strong, healthy relationships. The introduction of Priscilla immediately paints a very different picture. Realizing that...wait...is she..? Oh, for god's sake she IS. You're actually falling for him!? For Dandelion!?!? What is wrong with you, girl!?!?!? Hahahaha...!...this is going to be rich.

Then, vice versa, realizing Dandelion...is...genuinely falling for Priscilla!? Where am I right now, bizzaro world!?!? Alright...okay...no...no shit! This...this going to happen! This is actually going to happen. Hm! Will you look at that? (Extreme feelings of warm-fuzzies. [Transformation into unbridled rage at the start of the Carnal Sins questline.])

Mechanically, it is kind of boring / annoying to need to run about like a deck-monkey, but it does accomplish a few goals:

a.) establishes Dandelion, especially for players new to the games / characters.

b.) gets me out and about in Novigrad, helps me see the different sections of the city during my first playthrough.

Wild Hunt attacks Novigrad = I'll openly admit that this may have been a clearly missed opportunity. That, actually would have fit in brilliantly after Ciri escapes from Junior and Geralt has tracked her that far. The Hunt appears, right in the heart of Novigrad, sends the city into a minor riot, and makes it clear that there is nowhere Geralt can hide. Might have blended in nicely with the whole Gangs of Novigrad questline -- the bosses use the chaos caused by the Hunt as an excuse to grab at more power, and they wind up starting a gang war on the streets. I agree. Oh well...something to consider for the reboot of the Witcher series in 2035. :cool: :p

Skellige = I'm not sure. The pacing of that scene was more or less on par with the rest of the game. Plus, I think the weight underscored the scene rather than getting over it. I mean, Yen technically grabbed a highly sacred, religious icon and used it like a disposable hand-wipe to get what she wanted. It was awesome character stuff for her. (And contained my favorite joke in the game: "What the hell was that!?" "Unicorns..." :D) Not sure what else could have been included there that would not feel like "filler".


immessingaround;n9706591 said:
2. Radovid. Not much to say here. I HATE how his character was written. I hate how he lost his mind and was acting like a nut. He was 100x better written at the end of the witcher 2. He felt like a real ruler and king there. Don't mean to be harsh, but I was sick of him the moment I saw how he was written when we meet him with Roache.
Meh. He works for his intended purpose. A little predictable perhaps. It's a minor part of the overall story, anyway. Actually, he may have worked better as a completely absent character...holed up in some fortress in Redania.


immessingaround;n9706591 said:
3. Loot system is uninspiring. Made a post in the cyberpunk fears thread: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...11#post9706511
In short, I think the loot system needed more handplaced loot like how da origins/kotor does it. How you do this in an open world? Not sure, I'm not a designer. I also hate how yet again this is another rpg where equipment crafted trivializes most all other loot found in the game. I hope cyberpunk doesn't have this problem.
While I agree with this entirely, I'm not sure how the wider market would have taken it. It's sort of an "expectation" of open-world RPGs to be inundated with loot, have the ability to min-max a character to the last decimal place, and constantly be switching out your gear for a new, exciting look / feel / playstyle. Personally, I would have preferred a much more static system. I feel a weapon, for example, is an extension of the character itself. I hate having to give up my blade in the game. I become attached to them and the look / feel of my character. Fortunately...we can simply ignore all the loot if we want! (I usually wear the starting armor until I get the Wolf School Gear. I'm wearing something else next time I play! I swear it!)


immessingaround;n9706591 said:
4. Wild Hunt weren't strong characters. Would have been cool if a few of them had backstory like the hearts of stone characters do. Don't have much of an issue here since I did overall like the ending and the expansions' strong storytelling remedies any issues I have with the wild hunt.
This, I disagree with, but I also would have chosen to portray them in a completely different way. Probably something more along the lines of the original concept art for the "wraith form" in Shadow of Mordor:
mordor-feature.jpg

...as they supposedly use spectral "projections" to disguise their actual appearance. I would also have made them seem more than a little bit..."delusional". Seeing existence in ways other people couldn't understand. Using a logic completely alien to the way we think.


immessingaround;n9706591 said:
5. Bigger text/subtitles. Again, I hope cyberpunk doesn't have this problem. I play on my ps4 on a 40in hdtv and a lot of games have issues with text size. The "large" option wasn't big enough. I was a huge option. I hope for cyberpunk you guys test playing on consoles while playing on a tv around 40inches and fix the text size issue.
2K / 4K resolutions will need some time to become established. I would say that, if no technique has been developed yet to make actual fonts that are simultaneously vector-based...now is the time...


immessingaround;n9706591 said:
Dkjistra was awesome, though.
Breaking his other leg during the whole Phillipa thing made me laugh at loud. :)
 

immessingaround

Junior Member
#7
Good posts. I mean I like the wild hunt, I just feel they needed a few more main story events, like the cut out novigrad plotline stuff. Didn't even have to be super long, just a little more fleshing out.

That, and Novigrad feeling a little "off" main story wise are really my only 2 narrative complaints, along with Oxenfurt needing a little more main story there as well, though HOS did help with this some.
 

sv3672

Max-Tac
#9
immessingaround;n9713831 said:
Good posts. I mean I like the wild hunt, I just feel they needed a few more main story events, like the cut out novigrad plotline stuff. Didn't even have to be super long, just a little more fleshing out.

That, and Novigrad feeling a little "off" main story wise are really my only 2 narrative complaints, along with Oxenfurt needing a little more main story there as well, though HOS did help with this some.
As far as I know, the Wild Hunt attacking Novigrad tied into the other cut quest (after what is now Battle Preparations) where Geralt would have infiltrated the Wild Hunt and I think Avallac'h would have been kidnapped, and at the end of it he would have boarded the Naglfar and traveled with the Wild Hunt to Novigrad, leading to the battle there. Shavod could probably tell more about this part of the game. These quests were deleted together due to difficulties implementing them well, and were replaced with the current version of the battle in Undvik.

The Novigrad main story would also have been more complex and involved even more characters, but it was cut down to what is in the released version in the game, perhaps that is why the pacing sometimes feels off and some less important sub-plots are not resolved very well. Even now it still has the most quest content out of the three main areas, though.

Edit: in response to another post below that claims that TW3 treats the previous two games as if they never existed, and at the same time also complains about some characters (particularly Ciri) being different from the books: actually, the characters changed exactly because TW3 (1272-1275) is not a direct sequel to Lady of the Lake (1268), it takes into account everything that happens over the 4 years after the Rivian pogrom. Ciri is now growing up, and trying to become independent and find her place in the world. She had Avallac'h as her only ally for a long time while traveling between worlds and hiding from the Wild Hunt. The Lodge and Philippa in particular being blamed for the regicides in TW2 contribute to Radovid's madness and the witch hunts. Geralt's relationships in the main game and Hearts of Stone are affected by events of the first two games. And so on.

There are many references to TW1 and TW2, and even to the choices made in them, they are just not large or very obvious. But Wild Hunt is clearly a sequel to them, while at the same time also trying to introduce major book characters after they were missing for years, which is obviously not an easy task. Did CDPR accomplish their goals well enough overall? It looks so, according to critics and the overwhelming majority of players, but they could not satisfy everyone.
 
Last edited:

ilayoeli

NC Citizen
#10
I share your criticisms as well (and a hell of a lot more) and also ain't as forgiving with them as others might be. Because, as I see it, most of your points ties to a much serious problem which plauge the entire game's narrative or design philosophy.

The Novigrad act feeling off and having little meaningful plot points is really a pacing issue, it drags and stuff of little significance really overstay their welcome. Finding those 5 women is a great example of that, but it goes the other way too. TW3's plot sometimes decides to drag and sort of waste your time and have you finding goats and sometimes to jump-cut to quite important plot points with no build up, like the Sabbath and the obviously the ending.

Radovid's going mad is far from the only time CDPR deny relevance and outright existence of the previous games. It goes from little conveniences like having Henselt die in a battle to plot holes like resurrecting Thaler. I don't except the argument that TW3 is its own game because it doesn't. Whether CDPR like it or not it's a part of a trilogy and having our beloved characters re-written for the sake of having your story work just alienate fans abd nothing else.

The loot is a filler for an open world that is in my opinion much bigger than it should be.

The Wild Hunt characterization is a problem in the entire game. They're not the only bad guy written flatly and pitch-black. Example include Whoreson and Caleb Menge.


​​



 

Shavod

Booster
#11
sv3672;n9715021 said:
As far as I know, the Wild Hunt attacking Novigrad tied into the other cut quest (after what is now Battle Preparations) where Geralt would have infiltrated the Wild Hunt and I think Avallac'h would have been kidnapped, and at the end of it he would have boarded the Naglfar and traveled with the Wild Hunt to Novigrad, leading to the battle there. Shavod could probably tell more about this part of the game. These quests were deleted together due to difficulties implementing them well, and were replaced with the current version of the battle in Undvik.

The Novigrad main story would also have been more complex and involved even more characters, but it was cut down to what is in the released version in the game, perhaps that is why the pacing sometimes feels off and some less important sub-plots are not resolved very well. Even now it still has the most quest content out of the three main areas, though.
It's pretty much what you said, only omitted the part when everything starts with Kaer Trolde being attacked by Wild Hunt. After that there was kidnapping (with Avallac'h probably acting as a bait), infiltration and finally attack on Novigrad, where the final fight with Eredin supposed to take place (which brings the question, what would happen to Crach in this scenario). Developers explained that the two major reasons behind infiltration quest getting a boot, were already mentioned design issues, as well as the fact that without battle in Novigrad (which had to be replaced due to technical issues) this quest had no reason to exist anymore.

In the Novigrad section of the game bigger roles for King of Beggars and Cleaver were planned (how much bigger, I don't know, but I suspect they would be involved in Radovid assassination somehow), however Dijkstra's role was actually expanded in comparison to what they initially planned for his character.
 

meinza

Junior Member
#13
Coming from a new player (and i actually haven't finished the game, far from it)
The only complained i got is regarding Roach auto-pilot (follow road), many didn't like it, but i beg difference.
Even with folow auto-road,I keep staring at the minimap, because i still have to steer Roach in the right direction.

The GPS thing (white dot) needs to be improved in next CDPR game.
The current implementation didn't intuitive at all.

My suggestion would be is one or combination of these :
1. Pure auto pilot, Roach can reach the quest/our custom marker automatically. No need for player to steer (toggleable with other mode)
2. Semi auto, like current behaviour.
3. Pure manual, no auto road for those who prefer it.
4. Better GPS implementation, using hovering arrow, or even the white dot thing appear on the road itself. This would make player not focusing too much on the minimap.

Play for the first time, i barely recognize the landmark, or enjoying environment, even if i play with slow pace.
 
Last edited:

eloise

Poser
#14
After two and a half years spent playing this game - and there's no way to unlock The Professional achievement - I've just come to the realization that besides all the legit critics that have been written in this forum thus far, there's a thing that to me stands out more than the others and that I wasn't able to fully comprehend at first since it was there like an annoying/obsessive thought I couldn't properly formulate... and all things considered, this thing has kind of plagued my enjoyment of the game... and here it is:

Huge disregard for the books' lore.

The Witcher 1 and AoK tell the story of Geralt during his new voyage in the lands of the living and while many important characters were nowhere to be seen, everything we saw and hear in those games doesn't undermine what was written in the books. We came to the terms that the stories told in the books belong in the past, and I was cool with that because in those games everything was new, it was even a new Geralt (the amnesia, yep) and we could play him as we saw fit, also what was old, what belonged in the books, was generally left unscathed.

Wild Hunt though... well, it resumes the story where it was left.
In the books.
...As if Witcher 1 and AoK never existed (that also explains the lack of related content and the lack of outcomes from the decisions taken in those two games). And while doing so CDPR managed to disregard important facts, characters' personalities and characters' relationships from the books. See for instance the ones regarding Ciri:

- her relationship with Avalac'h is totally opposite to what it was in the books. In the game she trusts him, in the books she hates him (and rightly so).
- Ciri's relationship with Yennefer in the book is that of a daughter who loves her mother, to the point that she chooses to call herself Ciri of Vengerberg. In the games tho, it's almost like she despises her (no, better yet without "almost"), in fact in the Empress ending, she avoids her and goes away withoug saying goodbye to the person who once was supposed to be her mother.
- Ciri and Geralt... well, this is easy... we need to find her because she's like a daughter to Geralt. Period. No real background besides the notes in the Glossary. The fact that the open world formula slows down Geralt's research for Ciri also doesn't help feeling any kind of attachment to her. And she is, personality-wise, unbearably annoying and boring.
Furthermore the fact that some peculiar episodes and characters from the books where totally, utterly, completely distorted and killed on the altar of revolting fanservice and not for story related reasons is what baffles me the most.
 
Last edited:

ooodrin

Booster
#15
eloise;n10006601 said:
Furthermore the fact that some peculiar episodes and characters from the books where totally, utterly, completely distorted and killed on the altar of revolting fanservice and not for story related reasons is what baffles me the most.
I'm curious about what exactly do you mean by this. Everyone has a different notion of revolting fanservice. ;)

About the rest - yes, there are some major discrepancies, but if the alternatives to what we ended up with are:
1) game that respects the lore, portrayal of major characters and their relationships, but because of that severely limits the number and validity of choices (Geralt could only be strictly neutral, he'd have a set LI, Ciri could only be interested in witcher's work and nothing else...)
2) game that offers a decent amount of alternatives without undermining the books' lore, but accomplishes that by omitting 2/3 main characters from the novels (Lame)
I think this "compromise" is not so unbearable. Of course, some stuff are just bad/cringey for no reason at all (Eredin, White Frost, Ciri/Avallac'h), no argument there.
 

eloise

Poser
#16
ooodrin;n10010341 said:
I'm curious about what exactly do you mean by this. Everyone has a different notion of revolting fanservice. ;)
Oh, I'm not giving you an example ;)

Anyway, I always consider fanservice revolting, unless it's done in a proper manner: a tongue in cheek joke, a subtle reference, or those situations where the fanservice doesn't jar with the tone and the lore of the story.

My complaint though, was that disregarding things that were set in stone in the books solely to pander other people's expectations and not because the story required it, well, it's as ugly as corruption and unnecessary.


ooodrin;n10010341 said:
About the rest - yes, there are some major discrepancies, but if the alternatives to what we ended up with are:
1) game that respects the lore, portrayal of major characters and their relationships, but because of that severely limits the number and validity of choices (Geralt could only be strictly neutral, he'd have a set LI, Ciri could only be interested in witcher's work and nothing else...)

2) game that offers a decent amount of alternatives without undermining the books' lore, but accomplishes that by omitting 2/3 main characters from the novels (Lame)
I think this "compromise" is not so unbearable. Of course, some stuff are just bad/cringey for no reason at all (Eredin, White Frost, Ciri/Avallac'h), no argument there.
Well, no, there's no need to limit gamer's number or validity of choices since the respect of the lore and the characters goes beyond and is independent from Geralt's (and the player's) inputs.
For example, Ciri could still consider Yennefer as her mother and Geralt could choose to stay with whoever the player wants, just like it was in the books, since Geralt and Yennefer weren't always together.
Also, this "Ciri could only be interested in witcher's work and nothing else" is a issue that resides in the way that quest was designed, and honestly I think it was badly designed.

 

Deemonef

Tourist
#17
eloise;n10006601 said:
The Witcher 1 and AoK tell the story of Geralt during his new voyage in the lands of the living and while many important characters were nowhere to be seen, everything we saw and hear in those games doesn't undermine what was written in the books. We came to the terms that the stories told in the books belong in the past, and I was cool with that because in those games everything was new, it was even a new Geralt (the amnesia, yep) and we could play him as we saw fit, also what was old, what belonged in the books, was generally left unscathed.

Wild Hunt though... well, it resumes the story where it was left.
In the books.
...As if Witcher 1 and AoK never existed (that also explains the lack of related content and the lack of outcomes from the decisions taken in those two games). And while doing so CDPR managed to disregard important facts, characters' personalities and characters' relationships from the books. See for instance the ones regarding Ciri:

- her relationship with Avalac'h is totally opposite to what it was in the books. In the game she trusts him, in the books she hates him (and rightly so).
- Ciri's relationship with Yennefer in the book is that of a daughter who loves her mother, to the point that she chooses to call herself Ciri of Vengerberg. In the games tho, it's almost like she despises her (no, better yet without "almost"), in fact in the Empress ending, she avoids her and goes away withoug saying goodbye to the person who once was supposed to be her mother.
- Ciri and Geralt... well, this is easy... we need to find her because she's like a daughter to Geralt. Period. No real background besides the notes in the Glossary. The fact that the open world formula slows down Geralt's research for Ciri also doesn't help feeling any kind of attachment to her. And she is, personality-wise, unbearably annoying and boring.
Furthermore the fact that some peculiar episodes and characters from the books where totally, utterly, completely distorted and killed on the altar of revolting fanservice and not for story related reasons is what baffles me the most.
I really love this comment. This is exactly the way I feel with the games.
I love how CDPR created own characters and make good stories with 'em, but I don't like the fact, that the thinking/being of fomrer characters are changed so much.
The Avallac'h example is one of the best to understand this.
 

ooodrin

Booster
#18
eloise;n10011431 said:
Well, no, there's no need to limit gamer's number or validity of choices since the respect of the lore and the characters goes beyond and is independent from Geralt's (and the player's) inputs. For example, Ciri could still consider Yennefer as her mother and Geralt could choose to stay with whoever the player wants, just like it was in the books, since Geralt and Yennefer weren't always together.
I think she still consider her as mother, their relationship is just not as close as we expected it to be, Granted, there is that brainfart moment (Yennefer has plans for me, Avalac'h is different, blahblahblah...) but there is also her saying she's glad he chose Yen, or "Child of the Elder Blood" quest where it's clear that she trusts Yennefer more than that creep.
You also have to be careful how far you're gonna push the family aspect in the game where the vast majority of players have no previous attachment to these characters and their relationship. Many of them felt like the game is already advertising Yennefer as the "right/canon/whatever" choice. One of the reasons stated is precisely her involvement in Ciri's quests compared to Triss'.
I'm not saying they couldn't do more or better, just that the line was very thin as it is in this case and the more time you spend building up the family dynamics, the more you risk alienating the crowd who doesn't care about it in first place. ;)
 
Last edited:

sv3672

Max-Tac
#19
eloise;n10011431 said:
My complaint though, was that disregarding things that were set in stone in the books solely to pander other people's expectations and not because the story required it, well, it's as ugly as corruption and unnecessary.
The only thing that was "set in stone" and changed is perhaps the nature of the White Frost. Characters on the other hand are not robots, they can change over time. Only history (what is on the timeline until 1268) cannot change, since it already happened. I do not think CDPR are "pandering" to anyone or that their work is "revolting fanservice", should my opinion on that change for whatever reason, I would simply stop buying and playing their games, I would see it as a form of corruption to know that a company is bad but still support them anyway. :) But for now my opinion is that they are just following their own vision, which can even involve taking some artistic liberties if that means they can make better stories and games that way. Not doing that for fear of enraging a minority of conservative book fans would also be a kind of pandering, by the way.

Well, no, there's no need to limit gamer's number or validity of choices since the respect of the lore and the characters goes beyond and is independent from Geralt's (and the player's) inputs.
For example, Ciri could still consider Yennefer as her mother and Geralt could choose to stay with whoever the player wants, just like it was in the books, since Geralt and Yennefer weren't always together.
Nowhere is it said in the game that Ciri does not consider Yennefer her adoptive mother, and that you are not reminded of that every 5 minutes has nothing to do with any choices in the game. Developers themselves said so in 2015, perhaps more than once (I definitely recall at least one post from GingerEffect, who was a quest designer of TW3 but left the company since then, and possibly also from Benzenzimmern?), in response to accusations regarding this subject and alleged "pandering" in general. It is up to you to believe them or not, but in the latter case there is not much more that can be done.

In any case, I am fairly confident that if the "dream scenario" of TW3 being made without any romance choice (or other choice for that matter) came true, there would still not be more interaction between Ciri and Yennefer anyway. It simply would not serve any purpose in the game to add more, you already know about their relationship from the first minutes of the prologue, you are playing as Geralt (thus the overwhelming majority of dialogue is between Geralt and one other character, an important difference compared to books), and you have no agency over the relationship, it exists independently of your actions or choices.

Deemonef;n10011611 said:
I really love this comment. This is exactly the way I feel with the games.
Except it is not true at all that Wild Hunt treats the previous games as if they never existed, on the contrary, that the characters and their relationships are not entirely the same as they were in the books is exactly because years have passed since then and CDPR imagined (being authors, they actually need to have imagination) how they would change after all the events of the first two games. Whether they are shown happening on screen, in flashbacks, mentioned briefly, or are just implied, they are all part of the games' continuity. Some conditionally, since there is a save import feature, too, obviously not something that would be put into a game only meant to be a sequel to the books.

I love how CDPR created own characters and make good stories with 'em
So far, CDPR only ever made small side stories with their own characters. Not saying that they are not capable of more (hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 and its possible sequels will prove that they can write a saga well with all original characters), but it may be worth noting that the main cast of the Witcher trilogy is all from the books and anyone new has little to no role outside a single game or DLC. For better or worse, taking existing characters and their history, but using them in an original story and developing them is one of the things that "made" the Witcher games.
 
Last edited:

Deemonef

Tourist
#20
sv3672;n10013091 said:
Except it is not true at all that Wild Hunt treats the previous games as if they never existed, on the contrary, that the characters and their relationships are not entirely the same as they were in the books is exactly because years have passed since then and CDPR imagined (being authors, they actually need to have imagination) how they would change after all the events of the first two games. Whether they are shown happening on screen, in flashbacks, mentioned briefly, or are just implied, they are all part of the games' continuity. Some conditionally, since there is a save import feature, too, obviously not something that would be put into a game only meant to be a sequel to the books.



So far, CDPR only ever made small side stories with their own characters. Not saying that they are not capable of more (hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 and its possible sequels will prove that they can write a saga well with all original characters), but it may be worth noting that the main cast of the Witcher trilogy is all from the books and anyone new has little to no role outside a single game or DLC. For better or worse, taking existing characters and their history, but using them in an original story and developing them is one of the things that "made" the Witcher games.
I meant what eloise said in the Spoiler Box ;)
The fact with Avallac'h is so damn true, and I also see it not "daughterlike" to not tell your mother, that you will go now and rule Nilfgaard. This is really bad in the making.

And those small stories are amazing :)
Gaunter O'Dim is an amazing character, and that counts for Phillip Strenger too etc.
It's a personal thing from jme, but I don't like that many things are changed from the books to the game. I know, that the games are not the canon sequel to the books, it's a "own story" made by CDPR. But they took the characters and stories from the books, so I wished they stick more to the canon.
So yes, a Character can change it's point of view and being over 7 years, but you cannot change historical facts and stuff.

PS: Cyberpunk 2077 is not an own idea by CDPR It's based on the table top Cyberpunk 2020, and this is heavily inspired by the Sprawl Trilog by William Gibson