I don't like Panam Palmer

+

Phair

Forum regular
I did one post on why I did not like Jackie Welles and it went better than I expected.
No one wanted to shoot me!

So I thought I would do the same kind of post on everyone's favorite girl Panam Palmer.
So if you guys can stop thinking about her backside, and think about her personality this should go well.

I find that she is just another Jackie Welles in several of the same ways that I did not like him.
Loud, obnoxious, overbearing, and only thinks of herself, and is willing to do what ever it takes to get what she wants.
She goes on about how she loves her clan but at the same time is willing to put them at risk for her own needs.

She is a ex-nomad for those very reasons, she wanted to do everything her way, and she found out the hard way that it was the family's leader, Saul, who was ultimately in charge and the rest of the clan followed him.
So she had had a temper tantrum and left for night city where she thought she could make it on her own, but found out again the hard way, that she was not in charge.
Her attitude about Rogue parallels her attitude about the family's leader Saul. She doesn't like to be told what to do, and she thinks she is always right and deserves instant respect even without earning it.

She does not want to help you and is only doing it because she realizes that she would be burning down another bridge with Rogue and would then have nowhere to go.
And she forces you to help her, get her truck and supplies back before she will help you.

She wants to be the boss no matter what, look at the way she has you, going around turning on the lights and a heat, without lifting a finger to help.
She even puts her feet on you like your furniture, and she knows you will do it, because you're too busy thinking about getting between her leg's.

I just do not like people like this, you cannot trust them, they would sell you out in a second, to get whatever they want for themselves.

Yes she has a lovely backside but her personality is ugly.

> willing to do what ever it takes to get what she wants nice
> She doesn't like to be told what to do nice
> And she forces you to help her, get her truck and supplies back before she will help you quid pro quo
> She even puts her feet on you like your furniture, and she knows you will do it, because you're too busy thinking about getting between her leg's. no, because she trusts you / feels comfortable

And she goes against Saul because Sauls way of doing things are not feasible in the long run and goes against nomad culture; just taking scrap jobs for the corpos is just not the way.

I should say that Panam is doing what V is doing. Nomad is more of the mirror. But the LP's are still similar. They are the same type of characters. Except V screws up worse with their endings. Also, I played as female V. So I didn't care to have sex with Panam. So techincally, because they didn't animate the characters to avoid things that wouldn't work for their sexual preferences. Panam looks like she wants female V. While I avoided her the whole time.

well, ok
she is crazy at first but u should look a bit closer overall
nomads are dissapearing like nomad v's bakkers without good money job
they even need to del with scavs, biotechnica treats nomads like roaches
if you choose her side after rooftop she will tell u that she doesn't want to be a leader
her methods are just character design cos it's like fast and furios movie
they are all suicide and quite stupid but also fun as ride through fire in hell
she is very naive so family is the only way to save her
saul said she is heart of family but heart always acts with emotions not brain

just plant her ass in the family, ride on basilisk and go to suicide lone attack on arasaka
but it will be still looks like panam usually acts)

This like in the real-life, you like/dislike someone and that's it. But still, try to be fair and check the facts first.
1) Panam is straight and if you play with female V she still put her legs on you, it is more a gesture toward a friend than toward someone who wants to get "between her legs ". It is sad when people see all friendly gestures as an attempt for having sex :D
2) She asks for help, but once the main quest is done it is up to you to help her or not. Even during the main story, you can refuse to go and kill Nash. She is not happy if you refuse, but you still can be friends. Also, she is the one who can help you in the end.
3) Soul has brought the Aldecaldos closer to NC so the clan can become stronger, but nothing like this happens without Panam /V help. Most of Aldecaldos follow Soul as a leader, Panam can count only on V .

I agree her temper tantrums seem very juvenile, ie. when you've just gotten her ride back from the Raffens and she wants to settle things with Nash. It's easy to sympathize with her though; she'd just been betrayed by Nash, embarassed by Rogue and had her Warhorse stolen. But you can see her mature over the course of her questline into the ending of the game.

Ultimately she is correct in her assessment of the clan's future, and has notable Aldecaldos agreeing with her (Mitch, Bobby, Teddy, Cassidy, Carol) - later, Saul admits she was right. In Riders On The Storm a Corpo or Nomad V has unique dialogue that tells Saul exactly why taking the Biotechnica deal is not a good idea. If the game teaches you anything, it's that selling out to a corp is bad. In With A Little Help From My Friends and We Gotta Live Together you learn she's not interested in power, just has the clan's best interest at heart.

Her having V do menial tasks like powering the lights and heat on the old farm is just gameplay I think, better than having the player stand around doing nothing.

I always took putting her legs up on you as friendly playfulness.

Can totally see why her initial antagonism might put some people off though.

Last edited:

Phair

Forum regular
Replied to comments

Well where I come from, using someone as furniture and putting their feet up on you is a sign of disrespect not friendship, or playfulness.

Powering the lights and heat on the old farm my be just gameplay, but it also shows just how she treats people.
A tool to be used and manipulate.

The clan would still be having problems with or without selling out to corporations.
To me they are a bunch of people who cannot deal with living in night city for whatever reasons. You have to be pretty desperate to live out in the desert the way they do.

Panam is not the same as V. Panam does not have someone living in her head trying to take her over, and the possibility of dying. V's actions are because of desperation. Unlike Panam who just wants to get her way, or she'll throw another temper tantrum.

Hey,
cool topic :)

I think that maybe the scenes and quests are implemented inconsistently so they eventually create a bit different look of the characters than they were designed.

E.g. I see Panam putting her feet on V as a flirtation attempt or something like that. I don't think the scene means to imply that she like...overlooks V or something.

She may be hot-tempered which may eventually lead to irresponsible decisions, failures, etc...; and she also may be wrong and so eventually be seen as selfish, etc...I don't think she really is.
I think that her main trait is that she wants the best for everyone and somewhat...doesn't succeed...quite frequently :D

But also note that CP takes place in the future and with different life values, especially for nomads.

If we are to look for NPC personality problems, I don't think that is more to them than what is presented in the game.

There was a real disconnect for me when meeting Panam, who was my eventual friend. I felt there were a lot of things left unsaid. I have yet to try a male play through.

With Judy I felt an immediate and believable connection.

I did one post on why I did not like Jackie Welles and it went better than I expected.
No one wanted to shoot me!

So I thought I would do the same kind of post on everyone's favorite girl Panam Palmer.
So if you guys can stop thinking about her backside, and think about her personality this should go well.

I find that she is just another Jackie Welles in several of the same ways that I did not like him.
Loud, obnoxious, overbearing, and only thinks of herself, and is willing to do what ever it takes to get what she wants.
She goes on about how she loves her clan but at the same time is willing to put them at risk for her own needs.

She is a ex-nomad for those very reasons, she wanted to do everything her way, and she found out the hard way that it was the family's leader, Saul, who was ultimately in charge and the rest of the clan followed him.
So she had had a temper tantrum and left for night city where she thought she could make it on her own, but found out again the hard way, that she was not in charge.
Her attitude about Rogue parallels her attitude about the family's leader Saul. She doesn't like to be told what to do, and she thinks she is always right and deserves instant respect even without earning it.

She does not want to help you and is only doing it because she realizes that she would be burning down another bridge with Rogue and would then have nowhere to go.
And she forces you to help her, get her truck and supplies back before she will help you.

She wants to be the boss no matter what, look at the way she has you, going around turning on the lights and a heat, without lifting a finger to help.
She even puts her feet on you like your furniture, and she knows you will do it, because you're too busy thinking about getting between her leg's.

I just do not like people like this, you cannot trust them, they would sell you out in a second, to get whatever they want for themselves.

Yes she has a lovely backside but her personality is ugly.

I think that panam is meant to have charachter flaws, some of which you mention. However, some of your points are questionable.

1)Why should she help you if you aren't going to help her? V is asking for panam to attack a corporate Air vehicle, what are you offering her in return?
2) its pretty inaccurate to say she is asking you to do things while she is doing nothing. She is also scouting the place, and setting up technology, driving the car around, etc. She gets shot doing your mission while trying to repair the cannon while driving.
3) body contact is seen as closeness in many cultures, She is from that culture, so her intention is not dominance

I think you just have a general dislike for loud people, nothing wrong with that, but many of the things you bring up, aren't really representations of the characters intent.

Phair

Forum regular
I think that panam is meant to have charachter flaws, some of which you mention. However, some of your points are questionable.

1)Why should she help you if you aren't going to help her? V is asking for panam to attack a corporate Air vehicle, what are you offering her in return?
2) its pretty inaccurate to say she is asking you to do things while she is doing nothing. She is also scouting the place, and setting up technology, driving the car around, etc. She gets shot doing your mission while trying to repair the cannon while driving.
3) body contact is seen as closeness in many cultures, She is from that culture, so her intention is not dominance

I think you just have a general dislike for loud people, nothing wrong with that, but many of the things you bring up, aren't really representations of the characters intent.

The part where I say she does nothing is in the old farmhouse.

You bring up the attack on the convoy, in which she literally does nothing but drive the truck, it is V who does everything else.

She's only helping you because of Rogue, like I said she doesn't want to burn any more bridges.

Body contact, and using a person as furniture is not used in any culture I know of, it would be a sign of disrespect and regarding you as a piece of furniture. Smell my feet is not a sign of closeness, or maybe it is if you have a foot fetish, Lol Lol

You bring up the attack on the convoy, in which she literally does nothing but drive the truck, it is V who does everything else.

She's only helping you because of Rogue, like I said she doesn't want to burn any more bridges.

Body contact, and using a person as furniture is not used in any culture I know of, it would be a sign of disrespect and regarding you as a piece of furniture. Smell my feet is not a sign of closeness, or maybe it is if you have a foot fetish, Lol Lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_intimacy not saying you have to like it, or like her, but its reality in many cultures, and American culture that body contact is a sign of intimacy.

you say she is only helping you because if rogue, she is helping you inspite of her dislike for rogue, mostly because V tells her they can help her get her truck back.

Basically rogue tells you You need panam's help if you want attack the ship, Panam is a talented nomad who can come up with ways to bring down the ship. Rogue then gives V information V can use to try to get panam's help.

Panam came up with the whole entire plan, V had no clue of how to achieve their goals. Driving while getting shot at by drones is not doing nothing. Driving is something you would normally have to pay for. Getting a tech to consult on how to take down a corporate AV without killing the inhabitants, at specific time and place is also something you'd have to pay for

When you meet panam, she is not trying to be on good terms with rogue, she is actually mad at rogue for pairing her up with a betrayer who robbed her. She agreed to the mission in exchange for you helping her get her car back.

Last edited:

Well, the purpose of doing quests is to let you do something, and not watch everything like in a movie.

"I DON'T LIKE PANAM PALMER"

Hm, I like her, if only of her decisive attitude, and her action filled storyline. Find her the perfect BFF for V. Wish she stayed V's partner the story through. At least it's never dull with her.

Anybody tries to put there feet on me, regardless of intent, that isn't in one and only one category and thats significant other will be finding themselves dusting there arse of the floor :p

It's a video game though an the options there to go "OI NOOO FEET, MOVE EM' so no big deal

If you have a problem with Panam and apparently not thinking of consequences or only of herself then you must have a problem with Judy's super idiotic, revengefull, not thinking shit stained plan to take over clouds then eh?? Or just her character in general especially if your just no picking dialogue options to get in her pants

She has a lot followers because of her specific attitude combined with sexy look. She is loud and passive agressive, sometimes active agressive as well which is just fun to watch - and she has some of a best lines for NPC. I like her dedication towards V and a clan - she is definitely a person which tells a truth straight away which is not that common in this world. She clearly makes a lot of mistakes as well , which she could avoid if she wasnt that impulsive.

Generally like her -- loved romancing her -- but I hate her "I suppose that means you're not willing to come!" line. It's so passive aggressive and I want to be able to tell her to check the attitude but the only responses available is whether you're immediately coming or not. It's just her personality but god let us have a little more leeway in dialogue than that.

Top Bottom